Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 02:18:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast

Started by DrGreggles, September 05, 2017, 07:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr beat

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on March 28, 2020, 10:59:06 PM
Dead Ringer for Love?

I love it whenever the gang have an enthusiastic discussion about something which, in a more cynical podcast, would be lazily sneered at. Dead Ringer for Love is great, for all the reasons described by Sarah, Neil and Al. It's an awesome tune, the video is fun, there's just so much to like about it.

Meat Loaf has curled out some malodorous shite in his time - and don't get me started on his records, eh readers?! - but Dead Ringer is a joyous banger.

As much as I love a good, funny, justified CM coat-down, you can't beat those moments where they just go, "Yeah, this is mint, isn't it? And here's why..."

Yes, dissection was the wrong word as I love Dead Ringer equally.  The CMP gang's appraisal has given me more reasons to love it.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: dr beat on March 28, 2020, 11:13:07 PM
Yes, dissection was the wrong word as I love Dead Ringer equally.  The CMP gang's appraisal has given me more reasons to love it.

Me too. I watched the video again this afternoon, and it's great. Like Sarah, as a child I just assumed that all pubs looked like that. Fat, long-haired biker men and sexy badass ladies dancing on the bar etc. An impossibly exciting world.

non capisco

This latest episode has brought me so much joy in a day when I really needed it. Al in particular is in cracking form throughout this one. Love these people and this podcast.

Campbell Soupe

Just wonderful stuff, pure tonic.

"...looking like Nick Drake if the anti-depressants hadn't killed him" made me snort tea through my nose

non capisco

I watch the specific TOTP episodes before listening now because I have all the TOTP episodes and am the best. (Cheers, daf). The description of the kid in clown makeup looking "like Ralph Wiggum at one of Simon's Romo nights" is staggeringly great.

Jockice

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on March 28, 2020, 10:59:06 PM
Dead Ringer for Love?

I love it whenever the gang have an enthusiastic discussion about something which, in a more cynical podcast, would be lazily sneered at. Dead Ringer for Love is great, for all the reasons described by Sarah, Neil and Al. It's an awesome tune, the video is fun, there's just so much to like about it.

Meat Loaf has curled out some malodorous shite in his time - and don't get me started on his records, eh readers?! - but Dead Ringer is a joyous banger.

As much as I love a good, funny, justified CM coat-down, you can't beat those moments where they just go, "Yeah, this is mint, isn't it? And here's why..."

It is great, Almost impossibly so. And lest we forget, it is the only good reason ever for the existence of Cher.

SteveDave

How can you not love "Gypsies, tramps and thieves, these are problematic words your boyfriend uses"?

Jockice

Gypsies, tramps and thieves indeed. Sounds like a song about the matchday crowd at Ibrox.

badaids

I've started my re-listen. Up to #13...  Here are my thoughts.

It's much more stilted and awkward in the beginning than I remember and doesn't fully find its feet until episode 5, which I now consider to be the first fully formed episode. Much of this is down to Taylor who must have been in a foul mood that day.

Al is either very bad at editing or good at talking over and cutting of the guests in the first 10 episodes. Or both.

Neil is often very annoying. He will very often wait until Simon or Taylor has expressed an opinion and fall in line with that. He's very deferent to them, but then again he does say they are his heroes. He also has an infuriating habit of saying 'in a sense' or 'in a way' in every fucking comment. I lost count at 30 in one episode. Hopefully someone gets round to telling him.

Simon and Taylor definitely the best pairing.

David Stubbs is often off the mark. In one episode he says that the smiths are totally lacking any black musical influence, ignorant of the fact that it's Jonny Marr's main influence. He is picked up by Taylor though on that one and he retracts it.

It's still the best podcast out there though.

On patreon i can't see how many supporters it has any more - are the number of pop crazed youngsters still growing?

Natnar

Quote from: badaids on April 03, 2020, 10:37:18 AM
I've started my re-listen. Up to #13...  Here are my thoughts.

It's much more stilted and awkward in the beginning than I remember and doesn't fully find its feet until episode 5, which I now consider to be the first fully formed episode. Much of this is down to Taylor who must have been in a foul mood that day.

Al is either very bad at editing or good at talking over and cutting of the guests in the first 10 episodes. Or both.

Neil is often very annoying. He will very often wait until Simon or Taylor has expressed an opinion and fall in line with that. He's very deferent to them, but then again he does say they are his heroes. He also has an infuriating habit of saying 'in a sense' or 'in a way' in every fucking comment. I lost count at 30 in one episode. Hopefully someone gets round to telling him.

Simon and Taylor definitely the best pairing.

David Stubbs is often off the mark. In one episode he says that the smiths are totally lacking any black musical influence, ignorant of the fact that it's Jonny Marr's main influence. He is picked up by Taylor though on that one and he retracts it.

It's still the best podcast out there though.

On patreon i can't see how many supporters it has any more - are the number of pop crazed youngsters still growing?

I do think the early episodes seem to be more heavily edited, i'm guessing at the start Al thought that longer podcasts would put people off.  It seems the original plan was that David Stubbs would be on every episode with Al and one of the others. I'm glad that didn't end up happening as David is my least favourite of the chart music 5.

dr beat

Crabwalk

I thought the Q&As were for Patreon subscribers only?

Natnar

Some sort of outtakes episode or a compilation episode?

famethrowa

I'm still stinging about Stubbs dismissing the entirety of Live and Let Die (the movie) for dubious reasons

Natnar

So Al has tweeted that it's not a new episode of Chart Music, it's something they haven't done before.

I was hoping they'd managed to get an interview with DLT with Taylor asking the questions.

Now there's an idea, get some of the coated down on for a chat.

shiftwork2

I was doing alright (the backwards tv themes and nana were easy) but I got my arse handed to me in Bits and Pieces.  Proud of the
Spoiler alert
Bill Wyman
[close]
and the
Spoiler alert
Joy Sarney
[close]
.  Shit 22 overall.

Durance Vile

A thoroughly enjoyable hour or so. Al must count as an essential worker for the health of the nation. 26 scored.

SteveDave

Listening to the latest episode now and does Al call Paulo Hewitt Paul O'Hewitt?

Dusty Substance

Not surprised that none of the three really liked Drowning In Berlin by The Mobiles. My parents were friends with Anna Maria and Russ from the band and were invited to their wedding. As a result of that connection, I've always liked that song, even if the track borders on self parody/Nice Video, Shame About The Song.

daf

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on April 03, 2020, 08:12:34 PM
I was hoping they'd managed to get an interview with DLT

Currently (November 1967) on tour with 'Herman' with a specially built stereophonic record playing system!!

Jockice

Quote from: Dusty Substance on April 06, 2020, 03:38:52 PM
Not surprised that none of the three really liked Drowning In Berlin by The Mobiles. My parents were friends with Anna Maria and Russ from the band and were invited to their wedding. As a result of that connection, I've always liked that song, even if the track borders on self parody/Nice Video, Shame About The Song.

It is the most early 80s single ever released. I'll give it that.

phantom_power

Disagree about Dead Ringer but enjoyed their talk about it. I also disagree about The Mobiles. I can see what they are saying but it is still a good song that I only discovered on the TOTP repeats. I quite like that Jon and Vangelis song as well, even though I know it is shit. I think it is a nostalgia thing though. It reminds me of car journeys as a kid when my dad had tapes of a few top 40 rundowns

non capisco

Here Comes Quizzm was great lockdown fun (although it made me bemoan the fact that I only own the 7" of 'Spacer', that 12" version is amazing) but I'm afraid to say I scored under 30. Better luck this Thursday, I think Al's going to be doing them weekly.

dr beat

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on March 28, 2020, 11:34:47 PM
Me too. I watched the video again this afternoon, and it's great. Like Sarah, as a child I just assumed that all pubs looked like that. Fat, long-haired biker men and sexy badass ladies dancing on the bar etc. An impossibly exciting world.

Ok now this why I love this - CaB Meets *do happen* like this - Late Feb 2012 in Edinburgh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSTIsZULYmY

Lesson: Go to CaB meets people - take it from me

dr beat

^Apols drunk post. Anyway, looks like another quiz for the Patreons tonight.

Al's just put another 'Here Comes Quizm' up on the Patreon.  God bless that man.

EDIT:  Oh yeah, like dr beat just said, in fact.