Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 12:47:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast

Started by DrGreggles, September 05, 2017, 07:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweeper

Kulkarni + Oasis.

I am vibrating with anticipation.

non capisco

Only listened to the preamble section so far before turning in for the evening, but Al's "a few months ago that would have been a cry for help" line killed me.

Ooh, ten more pages and we'll have to do a thread part two. Is that a first for a podcast on here?

DrGreggles

Probably my favourite preamble so far.

I do VEHEMENTLY disagree with the panel on one thing though.
Spoiler alert
'Daydreamer' was just as shit as anything Shed Seven ever did - probably even worse.
[close]

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: non capisco on May 13, 2020, 11:40:21 PM
Only listened to the preamble section so far before turning in for the evening, but Al's "a few months ago that would have been a cry for help" line killed me.

Me too. I'm grateful for this podcast at the best of times, but it's a particularly welcome treat right now.

SteveDave

Quote from: sweeper on May 13, 2020, 11:29:22 PM
Kulkarni + Oasis.

I am vibrating with anticipation.

Ugh. I bet he takes them down in his own inimitable way mentioning the bad lyrics with "WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN?" and that they stole some of the chords for their songs. 

Natnar

How long is this new episode?

I'm only 60 odd minutes in but Al's reading of the Melody Maker letter defending Sting is worth the patreon money alone.

sweeper

Quote from: SteveDave on May 14, 2020, 08:57:59 AM
Ugh. I bet he takes them down in his own inimitable way mentioning the bad lyrics with "WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN?" and that they stole some of the chords for their songs.

Leans more into the
Spoiler alert
homophobia, racism
[close]
and
Spoiler alert
the media's compliance in selling out the northern working class
[close]
. But, yes, the misery of the actual product is mentioned.

Hope that article that Pricey mentions surfaces somewhere.

SteveDave

Quote from: sweeper on May 14, 2020, 12:44:45 PM
Leans more into the
Spoiler alert
homophobia, racism
[close]
and
Spoiler alert
the media's compliance in selling out the northern working class
[close]
. But, yes, the misery of the actual product is mentioned.

Hope that article that Pricey mentions surfaces somewhere.

It was just banter.

That night's TV included 'Being There', presumably the film being discussed in the Sellers thread.

non capisco

This is almost wall to wall coat downs so far, what a terrible episode of TOTP! Fully agree with the extended Oasis evisceration, nice to hear Noel Gallagher called out for being the conservative 'I'm alright, Jack' ladder pulling cunt that he is. Can't agree with even the faint praise Pricey affords Menswear though.

As soon as Toby from Catch was mentioned I thought of this place. I remember biggytitbo being what seemed to be a sincere fan.

dr beat

Good to hear Pricey
Spoiler alert
totally sees through Jess Phillips
[close]

Yes I enjoyed the Catch reference!

non capisco

I'm forgetting another highlight, Al's revelation that
Spoiler alert
Taylor loves jumping up and down on trampolines
[close]

boki

Not being a High Flying Cat, I've only got the first part so far, but it's had me absolutely howling. I'm sticking it on again after I've heard this week's Riot Act.

Campbell Soupe

The Oasis diatribe is a thing of beauty, but coat-down of Jo Wiley has pleased me no end.  So true that her horrid brand of bland, bare-footed, over-earnestness has infected so much subsequent music presentation.  The outro is
Spoiler alert
pure distilled Wiley: real nails-down-a-blackboard stuff!)
[close]

Camp Tramp

Great episode of CM , dreadful episode of TOTP.

There are 3/4 songs in the middle that should never have been together. Pacing should be a basic thing to get right, but this show fails totally.

shiftwork2

Quote from: Campbell Soupe on May 15, 2020, 01:10:19 PM
coat-down of Jo Wiley

Oh please, bring this.  Initially a bit disappointed with 1996 I am now somewhat gagging to hear it.  I am on patreon but there's no easy way of handling that file for on-the-go.  Or is there?

non capisco

Quote from: shiftwork2 on May 15, 2020, 10:01:10 PM
Oh please, bring this.  Initially a bit disappointed with 1996 I am now somewhat gagging to hear it.  I am on patreon but there's no easy way of handling that file for on-the-go.  Or is there?

Get the patreon app on your phone and stream it, works for me.

shiftwork2

Quote from: non capisco on May 15, 2020, 10:05:34 PM
Get the patreon app on your phone and stream it, works for me.

It looks like it's now hosted on soundcloud and it seems to be delivering the goods even with the phone screen off.  I want Rick Witter eviscerated so badly right now.  Actually 1996 was arguably my undeserved second wind so I do have a stake in this.

Camp Tramp

Turn on Radio 6 at about 5pm on a Friday. It is guaranteed that you'll hear a song from the Britpop era on the Lamacq show.

Ric Blaxill is such a twat, going by his quotes, rip the fucking guts out of a guitar indeed.

HAVANAGILA

Have any fellow $3 Patreons received the full episode link yet? Not sure I ever got it last month :/

SteveDave

I'm only on the first episode but so far I've loved all of them huffing like sulking teenagers at all the quotes from the Oasis article.

Schnapple

Well, I like Oasis meself!

HAVANAGILA

Remainder of the episode dropped for us $3 cheapskates at about 7pm yesterday, so all caught up now.

I did think the discussion suffered from
Spoiler alert
the contributors (specifically Simon) having more skin in the game than usual
[close]
– the
Spoiler alert
Menswear
[close]
discussion in particular was nowhere near as vitriolic as I'd expected, and I wondered if the others were tempering their comments in deference to
Spoiler alert
Simon's obvious attachment to the band
[close]
.  Not that
Spoiler alert
"Chris Gentry, Rear entry"
[close]
is particularly affectionate...

They definitely went harder on Whiley than Lamacq as well, possibly for similar reasons. By contrast, I was surprised at the complete evisceration of
Spoiler alert
Garbage
[close]
, who I thought they'd find a bit "meh" if anything, but blow me it made for good listening.

Very glad we finally got to hear Neil (and Simon) go to town on
Spoiler alert
Oasis
[close]
, and it was just as cathartic as I might have hoped, but I feel they said everything about the band they could possibly need to – hopefully they don't come up again in future episodes (or if they do, they get pretty short shrift).
Spoiler alert
"We've already covered Oasis in THIS FUCKING EPISODE"
[close]
made me howl.

Quote from: Camp Tramp on May 16, 2020, 02:17:02 PM
Ric Blaxill is such a twat, going by his quotes, rip the fucking guts out of a guitar indeed.

Such a weird quote. It makes it sound like Blaxill was envisioning Sonic Youth attacking their Jazzmasters with screwdrivers and drumsticks, while the pop crazed youngsters tried to avoid getting splinters in their eyes. Which would have been amazing, but entirely out of step with the Top 40 rundown – and about as far from
Spoiler alert
"Going For Gold"
[close]
as you can get without changing instruments.

Fabian Thomsett

sweeper

Quote from: HAVANAGILA on May 18, 2020, 12:52:00 PM
hopefully they don't come up again in future episodes (or if they do, they get pretty short shrift).

I hope they come up in every episode, to be honest. I'm interested in what the other contributors' think.

But more than that, there's something I've wanted to get to the bottom for years, which is why Oasis became such a phenomenon, and continue to be. From a purely musical standpoint it makes no sense whatsoever, but putting them in context it starts to get clearer, or less murky, at least. Just lining them up with Jo Wiley helps.

Somewhere in there is access to the pure undiluted crapness if being British, I'm convinced of it.

Dusty Substance

The last two weeks of March 1996 was an especially important time for me. I was 17, doing a Film Studies course, still reeling from the excitement of watching Trainspotting a month before, a bunch of us were in the audience for T.F.I Friday - 22nd March, the day after this TOTP, the one with Black Grape doing Pretty Vacant (the last ever live episode), we went again on 29th March and the week inbetween I went on my first proper out of town, late night gig to see Lush.

As a result of being just the right age at that time, I'll always have a soft spot for anything from around Spring and Summer of 1996 - Including Oasis, Menswear and Garbage (I thought they'd be more positive about the latter), I didn't hate Take That's Bee Gees cover, but I drew the line at Shed Seven.

The reading of Steven Wells' copy about Rick Witter properly had me cackling whilst walking down the road just now.

Neomod

I was a regular at Blow Up from 93 at the Laurel Tree and was too busy dancing to even remember seeing the Menswear boys at all apart from some paper coming down to take a few photos outside one night.

Loved the contempt for Oasis. Shit band. I've never regretted turning down a free ticket to their double header with Whiteout at the 100 Club in 94.