Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:45:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast

Started by DrGreggles, September 05, 2017, 07:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Neomod on May 18, 2020, 05:55:14 PM

Loved the contempt for Oasis. Shit band. I've never regretted turning down a free ticket to their double header with Whiteout at the 100 Club in 94.

Oasis were maybe the 2nd band I ever saw live and even the almost gig-virgin that I was realised that their total lack of energy on stage and Liam's twattery made for a shit gig. The next gig I saw after that was The Manics on their return tour after Richie disappeared and they utterly fucking destroyed Oasis in almost every way.

Crabwalk

^See also the first day of Knebworth, where their foolhardy decision to be preceded by the Manics and The Prodigy absolutely sank them.

Brundle-Fly

I wonder if new Patreon subscriber 'Mark Savage' is the Mark Savage? AKA Gripper Stebson out of Grange Hill.

BTW, what was Pricey referring to (at the 11m mark) when he said the Elton John pub singer clip was the new "You can do it right now. Pleeeease."?

Jockice

My proud boast. The first time Oasis played Sheffield (third on the bill below BMX Bandits and 18 Wheeler) I didn't even leave the bar to see them. The second time I lasted one song before going to the bar and staying there.

Finally saw a full set by them on the Be Here Now tour. I wasn't impressed.

eifion

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 18, 2020, 06:42:58 PM
BTW, what was Pricey referring to (at the 11m mark) when he said the Elton John pub singer clip was the new "You can do it right now. Pleeeease."?

It's from Paul McCartney's attempt at rapping for Meat Free Mondays. For some reason there's a nine hour version of it on Youtube.

sweeper

Quote from: Crabwalk on May 18, 2020, 06:42:32 PM
^See also the first day of Knebworth, where their foolhardy decision to be preceded by the Manics and The Prodigy absolutely sank them.

No one remembers it that way, though. Isn't that a bit sinister?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: eifion on May 18, 2020, 07:03:37 PM
It's from Paul McCartney's attempt at rapping for Meat Free Mondays. For some reason there's a nine hour version of it on Youtube.

Cheers. Nine hours though. God, people are weird.

Crabwalk

Quote from: sweeper on May 18, 2020, 07:50:28 PM
No one remembers it that way, though. Isn't that a bit sinister?

Everyone I went with remembers it that way, even those that were much bigger Oasis fans than me. It's not part of the official lore of course, but when Keith Flint died I saw lots of social media posts by attendees reminiscing about how the Prodigy destroyed Oasis that day. I mean, of course they did.

sweeper

Someone really needs to start collating stories like these. Someone needs to get a file going - the evidence against.

It's not too late to save ourselves, but it needs a level of mass participation not seen since the war.

EOLAN

Quote from: dr beat on May 15, 2020, 08:18:15 AM
Good to hear Pricey
Spoiler alert
totally sees through Jess Phillips
[close]

Must have missed this. Was it mentioned in the episode.

Did any of the other cheapos who aren't sending their money down the Chart Music G-string have the Great Big Owl ads being played in the middle of a conversation. No stopping and recommencing for ad to play; but just two sounds playing together.

Jim_MacLaine

Quote from: EOLAN on May 19, 2020, 12:04:59 PM

Did any of the other cheapos who aren't sending their money down the Chart Music G-string have the Great Big Owl ads being played in the middle of a conversation. No stopping and recommencing for ad to play; but just two sounds playing together.

Yep. Shockingly shit work from GBO.

HAVANAGILA

Bang on the 30minute mark in the two segments where I noticed it. Right in the middle of Neil's Rick Witter story as well, which was a real pisser (arf).

Quote from: Crabwalk on May 18, 2020, 08:13:16 PM
Everyone I went with remembers it that way, even those that were much bigger Oasis fans than me. It's not part of the official lore of course, but when Keith Flint died I saw lots of social media posts by attendees reminiscing about how the Prodigy destroyed Oasis that day. I mean, of course they did.

Tbf, after watching their performance at Whitley Bay Ice Rink in 1995, most bands could've destroyed them. They just stood there rooted to the spot, ploughing through their 4 chords and showing about as much interest and energy in their music as Donald Trump does with intelligence briefings that use words of more than 3 syllables. The only mobile object on stage was Liam and although some people enjoy watching a strategically shaven ape swaggering about the stage swigging from a can of Red Stripe, I'm not one of them. What a monumentally shit band.

Cursus

Quote from: sweeper on May 19, 2020, 11:51:38 AM
Someone really needs to start collating stories like these. Someone needs to get a file going - the evidence against.

It's not too late to save ourselves, but it needs a level of mass participation not seen since the war.

Quote from: Jockice on May 18, 2020, 06:46:30 PMFinally saw a full set by them on the Be Here Now tour. I wasn't impressed.

A group of friends went to see them when they played two dates at Exeter's Westpoint Arena in early September 1997. I didn't attend, but the general consensus was that Oasis were shit.

dr beat

HCQ is back back back!

non capisco

Quote from: dr beat on May 19, 2020, 08:14:33 PM
HCQ is back back back!

Featuring my favourite Al utterance in his accent
Spoiler alert
"Fuck off, Godzook-eh!"
[close]

24 this week, possibly never gonna crack the 30. The picture round was all guesswork and I got a big fat goose egg on that. Can't believe some of the ones I failed to get on Bits and Pieces.

I think he mentions her mum having a quite high up NHS job paying £60k or £80k a year.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Tonight I decided to listen to an old episode at random: episode 25, Peppa Pig Versus The IRA Pub Bombers.

Spoiler alert
My God, the excruciating agony and sweetness of Pricey's story about talking to a girl he'd fancied for ages after taking ecstasy for the first time. "I needed a bit of Dutch courage... I didn't know really what the effects of ecstasy were." It involves his obsession with Barry White. Just a lovely little story, really.
[close]

Just getting through the rest of the pod after the preamble. Fuck me that coat down of Oasis is the mother of all coat downs, I agree with Pricey and Neil about the malignant influence Oasis has had on the British music scene for the last 20+ years, so many shit bands exist or have existed because of their plodding shite.

With regard to Shed Seven, I was hoping the song on this episode would be "She left me on Friday" truly one of the worst charting songs of the whole Britpop era. It would have been great to hear everyone piling in on that piece of excrescence.

Johnboy

Really enjoyed this episode, more than usual, the combination of Simon and Neil was great for this period and I don't think I could have hacked any of the other contributors' views on the dreaded '90s. (OK, maybe Taylor)

I too remember the horror of Oasis' ascent in 1994, how a band could have such miniscule stagecraft, movement, charisma and everything else and be so successful.

Re: Jo Wiley's musical ignorance, I remember a 100 best albums of all time type show in the late 90s and she and John Peel were the presenters and a Captain Beefheart album came up and Wiley disclosed that she'd never heard of him. Peel's disgust and bewilderment were hilarious.

phantom_power

Whilst agreeing with much of what was said about Garbage, I still like some of their songs. That is something that music journalists sometimes forget, or rather apply selectively; the idea that you can like a song without liking the band involved or their reason for being. Fake authenticity is shit yes, but who cares really. Although I think everyone is guilty of this a bit. The backstory of a band is more important when you don't like the songs

Oasis are shit live but then it doesn't really matter. Most of the audience are there to sing along to the anthems with their arms round their mates spilling beer down their shirts. It could be a cd player up there for all it matters. I can completely see why they got so big. They are the ultimate in lowest common denominator slop, all edges smoothed off and anything interesting removed in case it confuses the core audience. And I say that as someone who still likes their first album and attendant b-sides (and some other songs spotted throughout their career). I would rarely choose to listen to them though

dr beat

A below par 17 from us on this week's HCQ.  Did a bit better on the bits and pieces round though.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Johnboy on May 22, 2020, 10:42:48 AM

Re: Jo Wiley's musical ignorance, I remember a 100 best albums of all time type show in the late 90s and she and John Peel were the presenters and a Captain Beefheart album came up and Wiley disclosed that she'd never heard of him. Peel's disgust and bewilderment were hilarious.

It's rare you get to see such genuine 'giving the evils' on TV. Go Lily!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MZzaCobhtE

Jockice

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 24, 2020, 04:19:49 PM
It's rare you get to see such genuine 'giving the evils' on TV. Go Lily!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MZzaCobhtE

Lily 'Authentic' Allen, just about to storm off back to the council estate she was brought up on.

Brundle-Fly

I'd take slumming it Lily Allen over half the muppets in the charts today. Smile is still cracking and I loved her first two albums.

Rizla

Can anyone tell me off the top of their head which episode featured Al's Bummerdog song at the end? Urgently wish to listen to it.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Rizla on May 31, 2020, 11:48:42 AM
Can anyone tell me off the top of their head which episode featured Al's Bummerdog song at the end? Urgently wish to listen to it.

It was the Madchester episode, so from 1989.

EDIT: Episode 30

Rizla

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 31, 2020, 12:42:47 PM
It was the Madchester episode, so from 1989.

EDIT: Episode 30
Cheers m'dear

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Just listened again to Al, Taylor and Pricey's utterly agog reaction to that Two Man Sound performance (episode # 20). If you watch the performance first - here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEQBDuPbC7s - then listen to them struggling to adequately explain it, well, actual tears of laughter. One of the greatest CM moments.