Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:44:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast

Started by DrGreggles, September 05, 2017, 07:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on June 01, 2020, 06:54:30 PM
Just listened again to Al, Taylor and Pricey's utterly agog reaction to that Two Man Sound performance (episode # 20). If you watch the performance first - here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEQBDuPbC7s - then listen to them struggling to adequately explain it, well, actual tears of laughter. One of the greatest CM moments.

The only time I've paused CM to watch the thing they're discussing.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Likewise. Surely the only instance of Al urging the pop-crazed youngsters to pause the episode and actually watch the clip in question?

DrGreggles

I'd already done it by then. Probably at the bit where Taylor could barely speak for laughing.

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 01, 2020, 10:29:05 PM
I'd already done it by then. Probably at the bit where Taylor could barely speak for laughing.

I think I might have done that too. The entire incident is a blur, to be honest.

It was a credible underground Latin disco tune in America at the time, especially in these two extended mixes

9.20 Version
Midnight Mix

DrGreggles

Due to (over) watching the TOTP clip, I'm actually rather partial to it myself now.
That said, my brain does switch to "ooh, that's the bit where Pipou nearly knocked his bongos over" mode.

Episode # 34 (18th December 1980) might be the most CaB-friendly episode so far, as it features a cameo from
Spoiler alert
Little & Large
[close]
. I'd completely forgotten all about that.

justin_bennett

Finally did the latest HCQ last night (a shocking 15), and noticed that the tab which had the picture round said Leftlion. A quick Google links to this Nottingham site that has lots of Al on it, including a big Chris Needham article: https://www.leftlion.co.uk/site-search/?q=Needham

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on June 06, 2020, 08:06:53 PM
Episode # 34 (18th December 1980) might be the most CaB-friendly episode so far, as it features a cameo from
Spoiler alert
Little & Large
[close]
. I'd completely forgotten all about that.

Promoting the very same Xmas show that features in the Comedy forum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSD2MmydRqs

"He likes Special Brew and he went to a special school" is actually a good joke, to be fair, and better than any I recall them doing on their show.

Custard

I love this podcast, but their coat-downs of Oasis and Garbage were a bit much for me, as I love Oasis and enjoy Garbage. HOW DARE THEY

Seriously though, I though they would like Garbage a bit more. Stupid Girl is an absolute tune

I find myself disagreeing with Neil far more lately, but I would also say him and Pricey are my favourite combo. Partly because they seem to really enjoy chatting with each other, whereas other combos can be a bit more spiky and awkward

I said a while back that I don't enjoy David Stubbs or his Andrew Collins voice, but his latest appearance was a new low. So tedious and repetitive in his constant "you know", etc etc. Just can't warm to him

I found this latest episode a bit of a tough listen, as I really liked some of the britpop stuff, even some Shed 7 singles. Wonder what they would have thought about Chasing Rainbows or Disco Down, which I consider genuinely great tunes. Still I was laughing like a drain at most of the coat-downs, mainly Rik Witter repeatedly claiming he doesn't stink. Me think the lady doth protest too much...

The Roofdog

Every single time I hear the name Rik Witter it takes me a minute to realise it's not that big lad who nearly won Pop Idol

Quote from: Shameless Custard on June 11, 2020, 01:34:44 PM
Seriously though, I though they would like Garbage a bit more. Stupid Girl is an absolute tune

Yeah the force behind that one surprised me too, I've don't think I've come across anyone who has a strong opinion on Garbage in either direction before. I would've thought that Simon in particular would've found a couple of things to like.

Neomod

I love this podcast, but their coat-downs of Oasis and Garbage were a bit much for me, as I love Oasis and enjoy Garbage. HOW DARE THEY

I find myself disagreeing with Neil far more lately, but I would also say him and Pricey are my favourite combo. Partly because they seem to really enjoy chatting with each other, whereas other combos can be a bit more spiky and awkward.

I think Neil paints himself into a viewpoint corner sometimes.

On this episode it was his call for more dance music, however boring two blokes behind decks/keyboards and-a-dancer in white gloves was for a tv audience. He was right to say they should have tried harder though. I'm surprised totp didn't go for a post modern Pan's People in those Loaded times a la Tip Top TV.

I've never paid any attention to Garbage in the past but did like Shirley's Pris meets New York 79' look in the Empty promo. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSa_hbutFt0

phantom_power

I find myself disagreeing with Neil far more lately, but I would also say him and Pricey are my favourite combo. Partly because they seem to really enjoy chatting with each other, whereas other combos can be a bit more spiky and awkward

I said a while back that I don't enjoy David Stubbs or his Andrew Collins voice, but his latest appearance was a new low. So tedious and repetitive in his constant "you know", etc etc. Just can't warm to him

I found this latest episode a bit of a tough listen, as I really liked some of the britpop stuff, even some Shed 7 singles. Wonder what they would have thought about Chasing Rainbows or Disco Down, which I consider genuinely great tunes. Still I was laughing like a drain at most of the coat-downs, mainly Rik Witter repeatedly claiming he doesn't stink. Me think the lady doth protest too much...

I think they are always harsher on the acts that were around when they were journos. All the background stuff and motivations become more important than some 70s fluff. Like with Garbage where they were barracked for being faux-authentic when they wouldn't give a shit about that if they were around in 75

DrGreggles

Other than 'Push It' (which I thought was decent), Garbage represent a blind spot for me.
My biggest issue with them was that 'I Think I'm Paranoid' should clearly have been called 'You Think I'm Paranoid'.

Custard

I'd say the first two Garbage albums are well worth a listen, and their Bond theme, The World Is Not Enough was the last one I really liked

Their main issue with them seemed to be Butch Vig, so it was a bit rubbish that they seemed to dismiss everything they've ever done based on that, and cos they pissed off a Melody Maker photographer 20 years ago

QuoteI think Neil paints himself into a viewpoint corner sometimes.

On this episode it was his call for more dance music, however boring two blokes behind decks/keyboards and-a-dancer in white gloves was for a tv audience.

Yep, totally agreed. Most dance music in the charts at that time just wasn't visually entertaining enough for a mainstream chart show, unfortunately.

QuoteI think they are always harsher on the acts that were around when they were journos. All the background stuff and motivations become more important than some 70s fluff. Like with Garbage where they were barracked for being faux-authentic when they wouldn't give a shit about that if they were around in 75

I think there's definitely some truth in that too. Though I imagine they would even admit that, if asked

I just don't see Stupid Girl as a bland, boring or rubbish record though, so I was really surprised at the coating-down it got. At the time I found it really fresh and interesting, and still consider it a tune now

WHY CANT WE ALL JUST GET ALONG AND LIKE THE EXACT SAME THINGS

David Stubbs seems like a nice enough bloke, but whenever he turns up on CM it's like a wry music grump dad invading a pop-crazed pool party. His opinions aren't particularly interesting and he's not very funny.

Al, Taylor, Neil, Sarah and Pricey are really passionate, insightful and witty, they fully engage with whatever they're talking about, but David always sounds like he's above it all. Get into the swing of it, man!

I love this podcast to bits, it's such a source of joy, so I take no pleasure in saying any of that. I deserve my seven days jankers.

batwings

Stubbs sounds just like James May to me, which doesn't help matters.

Brundle-Fly

I quite like Stubbsy's occasional school mam tone and I think he can be insightful as the others. His book, Mars Before 1980 is very good.

phantom_power

His Krautrock one is very good as well

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 11, 2020, 07:07:28 PM
I quite like Stubbsy's occasional school mam tone and I think he can be insightful as the others. His book, Mars Before 1980 is very good.

I really must read that book. I wasn't attempting to coat Stubbsy down, I just get a bit miffed with him sometimes. All part of life's rich pageant.

Funcrusher

Stubbsy always sounds like Graeme Garden to me.

All I can say about Shed Seven is that Going For Gold is like a Brian Wilson symphonic pop classic compared to "She Left me on Friday". I'd hate to imagine the coatdown on the TOTP with that steaming turd on it.

grainger

Garbage were really dull at the time, IMO, to the point that I was actually slightly annoyed about how popular they were. I suppose they didn't sound like anything else, particularly, but they didn't sound very good - just a dull, plodding wall of sound. They don't deserve hate, but they weren't much cop.

That's all my personal opinion, of course, but I guess personal opinion is all this discussin is.

dr beat

I follow David on social media and I got the sense he was feeling really down about the state of the world at the end of last year following the GE result.  I'm working my way through Mars By 1980 and it is beautifully written, and definitely worth sticking the appropriate music on as you read each chapter. 

Also worth pointing out that our very own Blue Jam once made Taylor Parkes laugh on facebook, which is an achievement I can barely even dream of.

David's a bit older than the rest of them isn't he? Which might explain why he wasn't particularly interested in late-80's chart pop.

Belinda Carlisle probably wasn't as meaningful for him, a man approaching his 30's at the time (I'm estimating) as it may have been for Sarah, who was still a kid at the time. He's less dismissive towards the 70's pop he grew up on.

His ludicrous Springsteen impression was great, whichever episode that was in.

beanheadmcginty

My brain is unable to separate David Stubbs from David Hepworth so whenever I listen to the former on CM I'm mentally picturing the latter.

dr beat

'Oatly is killing it right now' has become an established catchphrase in our household.  Best bit of that exchange is Taylor's anguished howl of 'why are people so FUCKING BORING!?' I feel that man's pain.

non capisco

Quote from: dr beat on June 12, 2020, 04:17:27 PM
'Oatly is killing it right now' has become an established catchphrase in our household.  Best bit of that exchange is Taylor's anguished howl of 'why are people so FUCKING BORING!?' I feel that man's pain.

The Taylor bit that keeps bubbling up in my brain is from his story about the exchange student hollering "I MUST HAVE MY NUTELLA!"

phantom_power

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on June 12, 2020, 04:01:57 PM
My brain is unable to separate David Stubbs from David Hepworth so whenever I listen to the former on CM I'm mentally picturing the latter.

I keep mentally thinking of David Quantick when Taylor speaks as they have similar voices, and are both curmudgeons. Parkes is a lot funnier though, obv

dr beat

Quote from: non capisco on June 12, 2020, 04:54:53 PM
The Taylor bit that keeps bubbling up in my brain is from his story about the exchange student hollering "I MUST HAVE MY NUTELLA!"

That's another corker.  I'd love to see these quotes on t-shirts.