Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 05:41:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast

Started by DrGreggles, September 05, 2017, 07:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brundle-Fly

Parksey also introduced to me a new word for my vocabulary that I've yet to crowbar into a conversation -

petrichor
NOUN

mass noun

A pleasant smell that frequently accompanies the first rain after a long period of warm, dry weather.

'other than the petrichor emanating from the rapidly drying grass, there was not a trace of evidence that it had rained at all'

Origin
1960s blend of petro- 'relating to rocks' (the smell is believed to be caused by a liquid mixture of organic compounds which collects in the ground) and ichor.

Pronunciation
petrichor/ˈpɛtrʌɪkɔː/

dr beat

NINETY THREE PAGES YES!!!!

Labour Party threads! GLinner threads! COVID threads! Look at us! Your boys/girls/people/viruses are taking ONE HELL OF A BEATING!

dr beat

NINETY THREE PAGES YES!!!!

Labour Party threads! GLinner threads! COVID threads! Look at us! Listen here! You are taking ONE HELL OF A BEATING!

dr beat

Apologies I *might* have been drinking a bit last night.

Camp Tramp

Quote from: dr beat on June 13, 2020, 04:45:53 PM
Apologies I *might* have been drinking a bit last night.

Fuck it, so was I!

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 12, 2020, 06:24:47 PM
Parksey also introduced to me a new word for my vocabulary that I've yet to crowbar into a conversation -

petrichor
NOUN

mass noun

A pleasant smell that frequently accompanies the first rain after a long period of warm, dry weather.

'other than the petrichor emanating from the rapidly drying grass, there was not a trace of evidence that it had rained at all'

Origin
1960s blend of petro- 'relating to rocks' (the smell is believed to be caused by a liquid mixture of organic compounds which collects in the ground) and ichor.

Pronunciation
petrichor/ˈpɛtrʌɪkɔː/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqsntljX0jg

Natnar

Chart Music #51 being edited at the moment according to Al on Twitter, shouldn't be too long then.

DrGreggles

About 5 hours probably.

non capisco

Seeing as work want me back in on site again this week and I'm planning on walking, please Al, the longer the better. I need my favourite podcast gang to add some joy to my masked three hour trudge into the unknown and back.

Also, they should do a bonus Soul Train episode. Guaranteed no coat downs.

DrGreggles

Quote from: non capisco on June 17, 2020, 12:12:30 AM
Also, they should do a bonus Soul Train episode. Guaranteed no coat downs.

Soul Train clips on YouTube have been one of my lockdown constants, but I'm not sure that CM would work as well if all the songs and artists are good.

Two Man Sound never made it onto Soul Train for a start! I assume...

SteveDave

I've still not listened to the last one yet. Something about it being a 90s one and hearing NK and SP banging on about how Oasis are awful and that hip hop was really really good then just puts me off.

If Taylor Parkes is on it I'll hoover it up though.

non capisco

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 17, 2020, 01:07:48 AM
Soul Train clips on YouTube have been one of my lockdown constants, but I'm not sure that CM would work as well if all the songs and artists are good.

Two Man Sound never made it onto Soul Train for a start! I assume...

Ha, yeah, that's true. Al took it to the other extreme with that stinker of a 90s episode he went for last time, though. My favourite Chart Music bits are sometimes when they all get to wax lyrical about how amazing something is.

famethrowa

Can't be doing without the coatdowns. Besides, who's saying there weren't shitty acts on Soul Train? c'mon now

Crabwalk

Quote from: SteveDave on June 17, 2020, 09:11:11 AM
hearing NK and SP banging on about how Oasis are awful

Not quite accurate.

Spoiler alert
Al also had bangs on. Correctly.
[close]

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I've been listening back to every episode in chronological order, and it's been lovely hearing how all the various running gags and references gradually fell into place.

But JESUS CHRIST, Neil's constant pen-clicking in his earliest appearances is more of a distraction now than it was at the time. It can't be unheard once you pick up on it. I remember Al saying on Twitter that he had to have a firm yet friendly word with Neil about it, and thankfully that click-click-click was never heard again. Thank fuck, as it was sometimes difficult to focus on what Neil was saying.

A very minor criticism, I know, but that's the pop-crazed youngster way.

Also, today I revisited a great CM moment. Sarah presents an impassioned case for Jacko's Bad album, which is followed by a typically curmudgeonly opposing view from Taylor. There's a perfectly timed pause after he finishes, then Sarah says, "I could argue with you, but I really don't give a fuck."

Quote from: non capisco on June 17, 2020, 09:23:21 AMMy favourite Chart Music bits are sometimes when they all get to wax lyrical about how amazing something is.

Definitely the highlights for me too, but I always plump up a cushion during an Eighventies episode featuring BA Cunterson in some capacity. Although to be fair, they did concede that Wired for Sound is a banger.

The 12 inch remix of Que Tal America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEOBvEjC7Sc

Pipou's palms must've been red raw after recording this.

DrGreggles

I'm still not 100% convinced that he was playing live on that TOTP performance.

The jury's still out on that one.

canadagoose

I've been hideously behind on Chart Music for a good while now, but I'm finally getting caught up thanks to a lot of binging. I say "caught up", I'm still a good bit behind. I got the hiccups laughing at two moments in #31 (1983), mainly that "cartoon" at the end. Price seems very on form at this point, and Kulkarni has given me some good laughs. I find Parkes has been the most acerbic of the bunch, but some of his big rants can be very satisfying.

dr beat

Over these last few months CMP has been as essential for me as air and water.

non capisco

Every time the thread's bumped I'm hoping someone's seen the High Flying Cats signal go up.

DrGreggles

I think #51 is due any time now.
Al said he's been editing it, which must take some work for a 4+ hour show.

I was doing a new pop quiz each week recently and it would generally take me about 30 hours to complete - and that was less than an hour of total audio, and pretty badly edited too...

Brundle-Fly

One of my favourite CMP coat downs has to be regarding the track in the link below. I remember listening to it while I was hanging about outside Haywards Heath railway station waiting for my mother to collect me because I'd got off at the wrong platform. I had a laughing fit so hard I had to walk into the nearest hostelry and purchase a double brandy. My mum's first words on arrival were, "Have you been to the pub?"

Reagan/Keegan rhyme. Euchh!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eHuH65qEX4

Quote from: non capisco on June 17, 2020, 12:12:30 AMAlso, they should do a bonus Soul Train episode. Guaranteed no coat downs.

Thought for a while that they should do one-off coatdowns of the likes of Soul Train, Old Grey Whistle Test, The Chart Show, Mike Read's Pop Quiz, things like that. Probably spends enough time as it is on regular episodes though!

Golden E. Pump

Al is an absolute hero, he messaged me about a week ago saying he'd check out my new music podcast when he'd finished editing. As far as I'm concerned he can take as long as he likes to edit the thing.

famethrowa

Golden E. Pump

It's against the forum rules to promote it here. I already had a message from Barry about it, I'm not going to break the rules again, sorry.

non capisco

Al's just announced on the Patreon page that the new one's coming this week and it'll be the longest episode yet. What do we reckon...six hours? I'll take all they've got!

Brundle-Fly

I like it when they're all gassing for an hour or so before even getting to the first performance. And when Al does his little grizzly, "Ooo" sounds to denote disbelief or distaste.

dr beat

More Here Comes Quizms on the way too by the sounds of it.