Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:07:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast

Started by DrGreggles, September 05, 2017, 07:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Epic Bisto

Another mint tour-de-force, but it's gonna take some time to forgive Taylor for
Spoiler alert
dissing 'Permissive'
[close]

They weren't wrong about
Spoiler alert
the Les McKeown slipping over and headbutting Joan Collins performance
[close]
.  FUCKING.  GRIM.

There were so many choice lines in this episode, but the best bit has to be
Spoiler alert
the Mike Reid talk
[close]
:
Spoiler alert
"I'LL GIVE 'IM FACKIN' TENDERS!"
[close]
, David
Spoiler alert
crying in front of his brothers
[close]
and Taylor
Spoiler alert
's anti-Cockney spiel
[close]

Well done lads.

non capisco

Taylor's description of
Spoiler alert
a post-coital Barry White
[close]
really got me. I get the same pleasure listening to him talk as I do reading someone like Doomy Dwyer, castro diaz or Gregory Torso's posts on here. His humorous descriptive powers are flabbergasting.

Stubbsy
Spoiler alert
crying in front of his brothers in the car at the middle of Mike Reid's 'The Ugly Duckling'
[close]
is a CMP story for the annals. Great stuff. Another cracking episode of the planet's greatest podcast.

dr beat

I think this might be one of the best ever, and clearly a lot of research done, for example
Spoiler alert
Taylor going on the guy from Kenny's facebook page, and obviously making notes, printing them out and then audibly shuffling them like a Radio 4 correspondent
[close]
.  Wonderful.

Also
Spoiler alert
"I've driven more beautiful women away than a Swedish undertaker"
[close]

Rizla

Yeah that was utterly superb, agree probably the best one yet. No shade on the other three guests, but get TP and DS together on an episode like this they can really get their teeth into and it really doesn't get any better. Those hours flew by.

Quote from: dr beat on July 04, 2020, 01:43:10 AM
I think this might be one of the best ever, and clearly a lot of research done, for example
Spoiler alert
Taylor going on the guy from Kenny's facebook page, and obviously making notes, printing them out and then audibly shuffling them like a Radio 4 correspondent
[close]
.  Wonderful.

Also
Spoiler alert
"I've driven more beautiful women away than a Swedish undertaker"
[close]

Followed by how,
Spoiler alert
every time he was dumped, he'd spend weeks wanking over girls who are far less attractive
[close]

dr beat

It seems like a long episode - 40 mins - was that normal in 1975? However it is a big soul and funk heavy TOTP.  Sod that '1975 was a bad year' stuff etc.

Edit: As a veteran of more than a few funk bands I have thoughts on Pick Up the Pieces.  But maybe I should sleep first.  Nothing particularly controversial tbf.

dr beat

I've found that Les McKeown clip in Germany - thats the Brandenburg gate isn't it? Was he meant to be NATO's secret weapon? To make the SED shrug their shoulders to Vladmir Putin and say 'yeah, we're fine here'?

Edit: Was Les the trojan horse that led to the fall of the Wall? Makes sense now.

Edit: But them PSB-type lads look like Stasi.  Bloody hell theres a Le Carre story in all this.

A great feature of the Patreon page for this is being able to go back in 15-second bits. I've been using that a lot when there is a punchline and witticism and I wasn't concentrating on the buildup.

daf

Quote from: dr beat on July 04, 2020, 04:01:16 AM
It seems like a long episode - 40 mins - was that normal in 1975?

Before 1985*, the length of the shows were pretty flexible - mostly depending on what else they were showing around it on BBC1

eg. here's a rough list 1977's timings (rounded up to the nearest minute):

35m : January - February
30m : March - April (14th)
40m : April (21st) - May - June (16th)
30m : June (23rd) - July (14th)
35m : July (21st)
30m : July (28th) - August (25th)
45m : September (1st) - a mysteriously long show
30m : September (15th) - October (13th)
35m : October (20th)
30m : October (27th) - November (24th)
27m : December (8th & 15th)
40m : December (22nd)
50m : December (Christmas & Boxing Day)

- - - - - - - - -
* (when the running time was capped at 30 minutes due to Eastenders needing to start on time)

This was the BBC1 listing for the day:

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/bbcone/london/1975-03-20

I think these start times (6.55 for Tomorrow's World, 7.20 for TOTP) were to beat the start time of 7.00 for The Six Million Dollar Man on ITV

daf

Quote from: 20 March 197512.10 : Closedown
- - - -
15.00 : Closedown
- - - -
23.30 : Closedown

I can't remember now, but was this an actual black screen of nothing, or did they pop the testcard on with some music?

Either way, I think I'd actually tune in to the closedown if they put it on again!

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Epic Bisto on July 03, 2020, 10:03:25 PM
David
Spoiler alert
crying in front of his brothers
[close]

I loved David's mock-hurt
Spoiler alert
"Guys, it made me cry" after Taylor and Al spent ages coating down Mike Reid's version of The Ugly Duckling
[close]

At the risk of blowing smoke up Taylor's ass, it's just not fair that such an incredibly funny and brilliant writer can't make a decent living. I think we've gleaned enough from the tidbits he reveals about his private life to know that he has fuck-all money.

Someone needs to give him a book deal. Then again, maybe he doesn't want to write a book. Maybe he doesn't want to write for The Guardian or Mojo. Maybe he's beyond caring. What do I know? Nothing.

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on July 04, 2020, 06:41:37 PM
At the risk of blowing smoke up Taylor's ass, it's just not fair that such an incredibly funny and brilliant writer can't make a decent living. I think we've gleaned enough from the tidbits he reveals about his private life to know that he has fuck-all money.

Someone needs to give him a book deal. Then again, maybe he doesn't want to write a book. Maybe he doesn't want to write for The Guardian or Mojo. Maybe he's beyond caring. What do I know? Nothing.

Great piece here he wrote about Britpop that was recommended by Al on an episode I was listening to today.

Well that's what I mean, he probably got about £80 for filing that great piece of writing. Maybe.

Anyway, I feel a bit icky talking about this stuff. Shouldn't have brought it up.

Durance Vile

Talking of icky, Taylor talking about
Spoiler alert
Barry White's boiled leek
[close]
and his filthy but affectionate take on the man and his music is precisely what makes this podcast worth its weight in gold. Sterling work by Stubbs too.

Durance Vile

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on July 04, 2020, 01:04:00 PM
This was the BBC1 listing for the day:

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/bbcone/london/1975-03-20

I think these start times (6.55 for Tomorrow's World, 7.20 for TOTP) were to beat the start time of 7.00 for The Six Million Dollar Man on ITV

Good God, that's the mother of all rabbit holes.

Dusty Substance

Dunno if this has been discussed on any of the 90-odd pages of this thread but I do find it odd that Al and the two guests go out of their way to not spoil any of the upcoming performing act only for each of the acts to be named on the download page.

Still, I do adore Chart Music. Even the episodes with David Stubbs.

DrGreggles

I don't see the episode details unless I manually expand the blurb.

Stubbs is fine on episodes up to around 1980 (especially when teamed with Taylor, as here) but his apparent antipathy to anything in the charts after 1980 makes him unsuitable for those ones.

On the Cliff bit, I think the only time they flirted with anything dodgy was when they referenced prisons.

Looking at the recent episode dates, I think Al's original plan was to release episodes in matching months, so March 1975 should have come out in March 2020, but he's obviously fallen way behind that timetable as the research needed for each episode has mounted up.

Dusty Substance

I listen to the episodes via the CM Wordpress page (https://chartmusiccouk.wordpress.com/). Each episode title lists all the acts they discuss - I'll be sure to listen via ACast from now.

I'm probably being too hard on David Stubbs.

boki

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on July 06, 2020, 02:34:13 PM
Stubbs is fine on episodes up to around 1980 (especially when teamed with Taylor, as here) but his apparent antipathy to anything in the charts after 1980 makes him unsuitable for those ones.
You could say he was...

...marred by 1980

Yeah, alright, I'm going.

I've almost completed my Chart Music relisten odyssey. A great line from episode #49: Al describes the jumpsuited bassist from Shakatak as looking like "Nick Drake if those antidepressants had actually worked."

I've no idea what the bassist from Shakatak looks like, and I have no desire to find out, as he could never live up to that description.

buzby

Re: the mysterious piece of equipment that is in the middle of the audience during the Guys n' Dolls performance. It is also briefly visible in the foreground during the Cliff performance, and more prominently during the Wigan's Ovation and Lulu performances later in the episode. It seems to be a tall rectangular box with handles on each side, an antenna on the top and a control panel on the back. It's clearly not a camera or an autocue as there are people stood in front of it between and the performers on the stage, but it is being aimed at the stage. It's also not seen at all in the previous episode, or the next surviving episode (10/04/75).

My speculation is that it was a mobile foldback monitor with a radio talkback link for the technician wrangling it. Maybe the usual foldback system in the studio was out of action? Enquiries are ongoing, however...

buzby

Quote from: buzby on July 08, 2020, 11:45:04 PM
My speculation is that it was a mobile foldback monitor with a radio talkback link for the technician wrangling it. Maybe the usual foldback system in the studio was out of action? Enquiries are ongoing, however...
An update for anyone interested - my speculation was confirmed by the BBC retirees at the excellent BBC Tech Ops Archive. It is a mobile foldback speaker (I think one othe meduim-sized LS5 variants, which were painted grey for studio floor use), which is why it's being pointed at the stage. The thing I thought was an antenna is a cage covering the cue light. The reason why it's being used in this episode is presumably due to the number of live vocal performances (I note it was not present for Kenny or the Bay City Rollers). One of you high-flying cats might want to let Al know, as later on in the Wigan Ovation discussion he comes down on the side of it being a camera (which it clearly isn't).

SteveDave

The latest episode has been a breeze to listen to compared to the last one. Taylor Parkes Guys N Dolls odyssey was amazing and has made me want to watch those two documentaries he mentioned. 

Taylor in particular always goes that extra mile with his research. Proper journalism.

Sarah and Simon too, I think. Neil and David tend to wing it, going off memories that are not always accurate, such as David assuming The Smiths had no black influences when in fact Marr and Rourke were funk fans.

Just to flag up that yer boy Taylor Parkes is the guest on this week's episodes of Jon Holmes' 'The The One Show Show' podcast, and he's on good form.

Seedsy

Hello folks, first time post. I joined this forum because I've enjoyed this thread so much. Massive chart music fan, and I'd like to echo the general sentiments about Taylor. I can't believe why this man is not paid to write words. Or even a stand up comedian. He has me constantly in stitches during chart music. I'd also love to read his memoirs of his time at melody maker. What a book that would be.

daf

Welcome along, young shaver - good to have you on board!