Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:29:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast

Started by DrGreggles, September 05, 2017, 07:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rilk

In more news from the Chart Music Extended Universe, patrons of the When Saturday Comes podcast have just got access to:

QuoteA special two-part podcast documentary as When Saturday Comes reaches 400 issues. In this first episode, contributors including co-founders Andy Lyons and Mike Ticher, writers Harry Pearson, Barney Ronay, Taylor Parkes, Joyce Woolridge, David Stubbs, Al Needham, Archie MacGregor and Cameron Carter, photographer Colin McPherson, illustrator Tim Bradford and magazine editorial staff discuss the early days of WSC, first encounters and contributions, favourite articles, and that Tim Lovejoy book review.   

Not had a listen yet but should be a good one!

daf

To echo non capisco, if you thought that one was good, hold on to your hat, and strap yourself in - you ain't heard nothin' yet!

Quote from: SteveDave on July 17, 2020, 01:05:16 PM
Taylor Parkes on TTOSS made me guffaw into my mask this morning when he called Ronni "Veronica" Ancona "middle-aged dating website jackpot"

Which she undoubtedly is.

That bit made me laugh, too true.

Camp Tramp

Chart Music has become a highlight of my month. It was thanks to this forum that I discovered it.

dr beat

Welcome aboard EF and CT!

I was listening back to Simon's anecdote about 'Pierre the flare' and thinking that's someone who literally wasn't sans-culottes.

Egyptian Feast

I know people get disappointed when this thread is bumped and there's no news, so I checked Twitter and Al says CM#52 may be out next weekend and is 'another BEAST of an episode', but 'not a vintage year'.

I'm currently a third of the way through CM#11, 'David Van Day's Chart Music', so have almost caught up with the start of this thread. I was pleasantly surprised that my partner got into it too, but that means I can't binge it as much as I'd like as I have to wait for a good time for both of us. We've already developed a routine around it on weekend (and some weekday) mornings and I can't think of anything more perfect on a sunny Sunday morning than listening to a savage but entirely warranted coat-down of David Van Day following a Saturday night spent watching numerous clips of him being a total cunt. The video playlists have introduced us to some incredible stuff, the most recent being that Bucks Fizz doc. The use of The Terminator soundtrack was fucking inspired. When I was listening to the start of CM#11, I had to check daf's post about the episode from the TOTP thread to see where Dollar came in the running order and I'll admit I cheered when I saw they were on first (and right after a DLT kicking).

The playlists have already got me into In Bed With Chris Needham, Pantherman and, best of all, Sweet. This clip was not on a playlist, but I would kill to hear the team discuss it - the schoolboy looks shared between Steve Priest and Andy Scott after they've got away with displaying the rude words on the back of their jackets made my heart swell, as did finding out Priest comes from around here (Hayes). The Man Alive docs about the disk jockeys and Hell's Angels were fucking mint and skill also.

I'm a long way from catching up with you lot, but I've got enough out of it already that I've joined the High Flying Cats. It's provided me with more entertainment in the last month than Netflix, so they deserve it. I look forward to Al mangling my cumbersome surname in a future episode.

non capisco

You have literally days of gold in front of you, Egyptian Feast. You've not even got to any of my very favourite episodes yet. Always thrilled to hear that the greatest podcast in the world has gained another devotee. Stay pop crazed!

daf

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on August 02, 2020, 08:49:09 PM
and, best of all, Sweet.

Christ, aren't they great - absolutely rock hard!

Egyptian Feast

I always liked the best known songs, but I had no idea just how incredible they were. I was already a fan by the time the short doc in the playlist had ended. I much prefer the rockier stuff from 'Blockbuster!' onwards, but those early bubblegum singles really do stick in the noggin too. I was singing 'Little Willy' while pressure washing the front door earlier.

daf

I think they just edged into the BBC4 TOTP showings - hang on, let me have a look . . .

Here we go -
Quote from: daf's self-aggrandising nonsense2 February 1978: Presenter: Tony Blackburn

(21)   THE SWEET – Love Is Like Oxygen
Oh boy - thank Cliff for repeats, or we'd have missed the sublime magic of this corker.
'Old Beardo' on bass is sporting a Wrexham FC rosette (soon to be promoted to the old Division Two, well done chaps), and Brian Connolly (not that one) seems to be channeling Reece Shearsmith in a blonde wig (attention BBC Four drama department).
Following turbulent years of members coming and going, Sweet now exist in two flavours : Andy Scott's Sweet (Butterscotch) and Steve Priest's Sweet (Mint Choc-Chip).
TOTP thread

Cor - didn't i waffle a lot back then!

Egyptian Feast

Cheers for that, daf! Great clip (and description). I did picture Connolly as Shearsmith, especially when he was inside that little wobbly cameo.

Shame Mint Choc-Chip is no longer an option. :-(

That Sweet single also made the US charts.

A non-vintage year can still be a great episode (e.g. 1975) but I tend to lose interest after 1984, even with great coat-downs. Oh, that Curiosity Killed The Cat single was shit? Who cares? But if you were born several years after me, and Curiosity Killed The Cat was a big pain in the arse during your school years, your view may be different.

dr beat

EEEEHHHH UUPPP! Simon Bates flies again, its CMP 52!

non capisco

YES!!!! Wasn't even expecting one this week!

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Crabwalk

An entire 10 minutes shorter than #50. Slackers.

Rizla

Ace. Just in time for my trip to the shops. Laughed out loud at the title.

I jumped straight to the slagging-off of
Spoiler alert
The Smiths
[close]
and it did not disappoint. The fact this is from the era
Spoiler alert
between Band Aid and Live Aid
[close]
makes it important; it shows I think that
Spoiler alert
the charts were already turning to shit well before Live Aid
[close]

The combination of hosts is odd - they have no chemistry at all and there are clearly more compatible partners that each could have been given.

justin_bennett

Just realised that there's a Patreon app which lets you download the whole thing and play directly, which has saved me the hassle of moving over to the iPhone music player and having to remember to set the file to remember where it was last time I was listening.  Keeps the place and lets you skip back in 15sec chunks.  Magic!

shiftwork2

Thanks for the heads up.  Looking forward to getting stuck in.  I think Neil and Taylor work well together personally.

Wonder if Egyptian Feast gets his name at the start?  It was massive for me when it happened, particularly as Al's pronunciation of my unusual surname was bang on.

Rizla

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on August 05, 2020, 06:53:38 PM
The combination of hosts is odd - they have no chemistry at all and there are clearly more compatible partners that each could have been given.

You think? I don't tend to mind what combination of 2-from-5 we get, although i find Price/Kulkarni to be the most likely to get a tad bland, whereas Parkes/Stubbs I thought worked well last time. Stubbs/Bee was a bit odd mind, that was more cos of the episode in hand I thought.

non capisco

Quote from: Rizla on August 05, 2020, 08:06:06 PM
You think? I don't tend to mind what combination of 2-from-5 we get, although i find Price/Kulkarni to be the most likely to get a tad bland, whereas Parkes/Stubbs I thought worked well last time. Stubbs/Bee was a bit odd mind, that was more cos of the episode in hand I thought.

Pretty sure they meant
Spoiler alert
Simon Bates and Janice Long
[close]
rather than
Spoiler alert
Neil and Taylor
[close]
who are my personal favourite combo.

EDIT: Spoilers in case any non high flying cats don't wanna know yet who's guesting/episode details

Yes, I meant the TOTP episode hosts, although the podcast makes a decent defence that
Spoiler alert
Bates
[close]
plays a safe pair of hands role whilst
Spoiler alert
Long
[close]
gets all the spicy links.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: shiftwork2 on August 05, 2020, 08:02:38 PM
Wonder if Egyptian Feast gets his name at the start?  It was massive for me when it happened, particularly as Al's pronunciation of my unusual surname was bang on.

I'd say probably not this episode as I joined a week or two back and they only charged me from 1st August, well into editing time. I'm looking forward to hear him tackle mine. I've had a variety of interpretations since I moved to the UK, the best being a lecturer who made me sound Dutch, but some people get it bang on and you wouldn't expect them to. I reckon Al has as good a chance as any.

I'm on CM#12 now and thinking of jumping forward to a recent episode afterwards. I need to know how the gang have been coping with this shite. They're certainly helping me cope, not least by stemming the flow of shit news from my phone.

dr beat

Spoiler alert
Hello, Numan
[close]

boki

Neil was definitely onto something as a young 'un - ties around the forehead are always a better idea than around the neck.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Neil and Taylor's glowing celebration of
Spoiler alert
Don Henley's The Boys of Summer had me nodding like the Churchill dog. A stunning record.
[close]

boki

If Discogs is to be believed, those
Spoiler alert
'Wankers with a record deal'
[close]
actually
Spoiler alert
self-released that single
[close]
- take that Mr
Spoiler alert
NME 'journalist'
[close]
!

The last five minutes! Fucking hell.

shiftwork2

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on August 06, 2020, 01:16:30 AM
I'm on CM#12 now and thinking of jumping forward to a recent episode afterwards. I need to know how the gang have been coping with this shite.

It's CM49 (Yellow Hurll from 28th March, just as the panic buying doom-laden stuff was starting to weigh us down) I think where it's first discussed.  From memory nothing is said in the first 10 minutes then there's a half-hour absolute outpouring that I do remember helped me get some actual perspective, while laughing lots.  Then they agree not to mention it again during that episode.  Pure class.

Very glad you're hooked btw.