Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:53:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast

Started by DrGreggles, September 05, 2017, 07:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on August 06, 2020, 06:30:42 PM
The last five minutes! Fucking hell.

Extraordinary. I'm so glad I didn't switch off after Al wrapped up the show.

Crabwalk

Here's the 'Misled' video, which is a must-watch.

https://youtu.be/1O8jsxj9Dqo

Epic Bisto

Well done chaps, another corker!  Best line of the show:
Spoiler alert
"Putting the 'Oi' in 'Poignant'"
[close]

God almighty,
Spoiler alert
that Jonathan King interlude
[close]
was truly ghastly.  I think I died a little bit inside remembering how the public fell for that shit.

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on August 06, 2020, 12:44:39 PM
Neil and Taylor's glowing celebration of
Spoiler alert
Don Henley's The Boys of Summer had me nodding like the Churchill dog. A stunning record.
[close]

Most definitely a song I always enjoy every time chance to hear it on the radio.

CM must be the only podcast where I damn well expect a 45 minute preamble about almost anything and some seriously great observations on the sociopolitical landscape of mid 80s Britain from the eyes of a 12 year old before the actual subject of the podcast is discussed. Worth every penny of my High Flying Cats g-string money.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Crabwalk on August 06, 2020, 08:15:34 PM
Here's the 'Misled' video, which is a must-watch.

https://youtu.be/1O8jsxj9Dqo

All things considered, I think Al, Neil and Taylor did a pretty good job of describing whatever the fuck that was.

non capisco

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on August 06, 2020, 06:30:42 PM
The last five minutes! Fucking hell.

Hahaha! Amazing!

Here's some more poetic smut from Al from a while back, don't think this has been linked to here before
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0xWNhivVRg

Spoiler alert
Another great episode. Could probably have listened to Neil eviscerating Morrissey for the whole five hours.
[close]

daf

Christ, I remember my first boners - really painful & I thought I had some sort of petrifying disease - no idea what was going wrong.

It was at least a couple of months of hobbling around with this unbidden agony before I worked out what to do with the bugger!

How did the reduction to 30 minutes and switch to 7pm affect TOTP over the following years?

DrGreggles

Chart Music episodes are like Sparks albums; my favourite is the one I've listened to most recently.

Crabwalk

I know what you mean but I really did love this episode above recent ones. I think Taylor and Neil are the most genuinely insightful contributors and everyone was on top form gag-wise. I know we've all recognised this from the off, but Al really is a supremely funny fella isn't he?

It helped that the hit-rate for the music was incredibly high for the era, which probably kept their spirits up in the face of Jonathan King, REO Speedwagon and that Britain First lad.

I was listening to 'The Boys of Summer' just last week and remembering what a fantastic, evocative song it is. I was certain it was about to get shredded.

DrGreggles

BoS is a banger.
Almost makes up for The Eagles existing.

Almost...

Brundle-Fly

I'm halfway through Ep2 of CMP 52. Remind me what the fuck they're going on about with
Spoiler alert
' lickeryridge'? in The Commodores
[close]
bit. And also who or what is
Spoiler alert
Danny Mirror
[close]
again?

Finished listening to this latest episode earlier, and have just been listening to a random playlist on Spotify when sudenly a track by this person comes on.

daf

DrGreggles

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 07, 2020, 05:57:54 PM
I'm halfway through Ep2 of CMP 52. Remind me what the fuck they're going on about with
Spoiler alert
[close]
Spoiler alert
Danny Mirror
[close]
again?

https://chartmusiccouk.wordpress.com/2018/04/13/22-october-6th-1977-soul-rail-replacement-service/

dr beat

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 07, 2020, 05:57:54 PM
Spoiler alert
[close]
Spoiler alert
Danny Mirror
[close]
again?

Chart Music 23: 'I Remember Elvis Presley'
Edit: DrGreggles link and what daf said

daf

Those replies all bunched together - did you two just get back from your tea, like me?

(Fish & Chips + a chocolate cake - Beat that, Henry the 8th!)

dr beat

Its August - late tea yeah?

daf

Al has become very skilled at picking out episodes that have a lot of nuggets in them. Long may it continue.

Neomod

I'm guessing Jonathan King is the only member of CAB to get a coating down so far. Unless one of us is Toyah of course.

Oh and being a low flying kitten I get to hear previews of the other stuff from Great Big Owl and fuck me CMP is a diamond in a pile of the shittest shit ever shitted.

Horrible.

Camp Tramp

Quote from: Neomod on August 08, 2020, 08:21:31 PM
I'm guessing Jonathan King is the only member of CAB to get a coating down so far. Unless one of us is Toyah of course.

Oh and being a low flying kitten I get to hear previews of the other stuff from Great Big Owl and fuck me CMP is a diamond in a pile of the shittest shit ever shitted.

Horrible.

Al even complained about the adverts they get on the podcast. I think he got incontinence pads.

Luckily I don't have to deal with them.

Rizla

Top quality ep that. Loved Tayor's music exam story, fucked my hat that I Know Him So Well is basically an ABBA song - I always liked that one, I remember my gran and her nice young gay lodger fiercely debating which was better, that or Jennifer Rush's The Power Of Love (IKHSW came out on top, due to it's being a duet).

Now here's a thing - Assaulted Nuts comes up in the TV listings, but they didn't mention that it also featured Wayne Knight AKA Newman from Seinfeld, which is weird cos at one point Taylor said "Hello Newman", referring to Gary Numan.

Brundle-Fly

The ads are really no big deal. You can skip them. Don't get why people give a fuck. Mind you, I don't see why people are so bothered that they have to hear the whole thing a day before the official release and must listen to it in one sitting. I like the fact I get it incrementally in daily hour-long chunks now. I get to savour it on my strolls, but that's me.
As for the GBO's other output, I really enjoy Rule Of Three, Box Of Delights, Smershpod and the Dan Skinner / Harry Peacocks thing. I've heard The One One Show Show is supposed to be alright. Can't say I've listened to the others to have an opinion. I suspect podcasts about WWF or childbirth anecdotes probably won't be up my street.

Neomod

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 08, 2020, 11:22:54 PM
As for the GBO's other output, I really enjoy Rule Of Three, Box Of Delights, Smershpod and the Dan Skinner / Harry Peacocks thing. I've heard The One One Show Show is supposed to be alright. Can't say I've listened to the others to have an opinion. I suspect podcasts about WWF or childbirth anecdotes probably won't be up my street.

I lasted one episode of that Smershpod. The host had no real appreciation/knowledge or affection for the subject matter so I binned it off. Matt Gourley's James Bonding was much better.

Taylor P was good on that One Show thing but the other hosts annoyed me. I think the only humorous british pod I listen to is Buxton. Blimey.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Neomod on August 09, 2020, 12:50:02 AM
I lasted one episode of that Smershpod. The host had no real appreciation/knowledge or affection for the subject matter so I binned it off. Matt Gourley's James Bonding was much better.

Taylor P was good on that One Show thing but the other hosts annoyed me. I think the only humorous british pod I listen to is Buxton. Blimey.

You might not have enjoyed Smershpod, but I'd have to dispute the criticism regarding the host. If you had persevered you'd see he does knows his onions and is pretty much obsessed with all things 007. The podcast's tone just takes a lighthearted approach to the subject rather than an academic take. Bond films by their very nature are ripe for ridicule in much the same way as Top Of The Pops is. It's really a comedy podcast where you hear personal opinions and memories from the guests and occasionally might pick up some insight about Maurice Binder's working techniques or something along the way. Thanks for the James Bonding pod tip off, I will check that out.

And yes, you can't go wrong with Dr Buckles.

Aaaaanyway, back to ChartMusic. You can go wrong with dismissing
Spoiler alert
Sowing The Seeds Of Love[/i] as a bad example of 1960s pop homage, Mr Neil Kulkarni, I bloody love that single, probably for all the reasons the music press told us we weren't supposed to like it back in the summer of 1989. Although I will concede
Spoiler alert
Thinking Of You by The Colourfield is sublime. Still prefer Castles In The Air though.
[close]

Is anybody else thinking that all this spoiler censoring is getting a bit daft on this thread now? 
[close]

DrGreggles

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 09, 2020, 10:20:48 AM
You can go wrong with dismissing
Spoiler alert
Sowing The Seeds Of Love[/i] as a bad example of 1960s pop homage, Mr Neil Kulkarni, I bloody love that single, probably for all the reasons the music press told us we weren't supposed to like it back in the summer of 1989.
[close]
I think I liked it at the time but, looking back, it's all in the arrangement - there's not much song there.

Brundle-Fly

Horses for courses as always, but I always felt it stood up quite strong with a robust chorus and luscious middle eight. Not really thought about the lyrics though, it has to be said. Sure, it's over ambitious and Uber bombastic but that's ok now and again in pop. I get the feeling half the dissent towards it is
Spoiler alert
Spoiler alert
Roland
[close]
[close]
Spoiler alert
Orzabel
[close]
. He seems to make peoples shit itch. Maybe he's pissed off a few journos over the years too.

non capisco

I love Tears For Fears but don't really rate 'Sowing The Seeds Of Love', it's about as subtle an attempt to make something grandiose based on the specific template of '67 era Beatles as 'All Around The World' by Oasis.

I'm glad my beloved Hall and Oates received only the mildest of coat downs, and it's not like 'Method Of Modern Love' is their apex or anything. 

Neomod

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 09, 2020, 10:20:48 AM
You might not have enjoyed Smershpod, but I'd have to dispute the criticism regarding the host.

He didn't know who Sylvia Trench was.

CANCELLED

Agree with you on Sowing the Seeds of Love though. I'd lost interest after The Hurting but thought this was a banger.