Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:24:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast

Started by DrGreggles, September 05, 2017, 07:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

non capisco

Quote from: Neomod on August 09, 2020, 05:58:41 PM
He didn't know who Sylvia Trench was.

On a Bond podcast?! Yeah, fuck that. Only the woman he first says 'Bond, James Bond' to.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: non capisco on August 09, 2020, 05:46:27 PM
I love Tears For Fears but don't really rate 'Sowing The Seeds Of Love', it's about as subtle an attempt to make something grandiose based on the specific template of '67 era Beatles as 'All Around The World' by Oasis.

I think TFF succeed because it's celebratory about florid late sixties British pop psyche in general. whereas Oasis's attempt felt a bit Beatles bolt-on. Anyway, the song wasn'tt even featured on this podcast other than a throwaway comment so  I'll shut up now.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Neomod on August 09, 2020, 05:58:41 PM
He didn't know who Sylvia Trench was.

CANCELLED

Just had a listen. He'd forgotten her name that's all and left the mistake in the podcast, which demonstrates his intent., Rain doesn't pretend to be the country's foremost Bond expert, it's a show for fans by a fan.  If you want more examination, then fair enough. CMP have made some howlers too. They're only human.

dr beat

If you like Smershpod I'd strongly recommend the TV Creamguide Film Commentaries.  Similar films, better chat.

SteveDave

Quote from: Neomod on August 08, 2020, 08:21:31 PM
Oh and being a low flying kitten I get to hear previews of the other stuff from Great Big Owl and fuck me CMP is a diamond in a pile of the shittest shit ever shitted.

Horrible.

The one advert I got throughout the latest episodes was for "Bitchin'" where two women talk about a different person each week. It truly sounds great.

boki

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 09, 2020, 10:20:48 AMAaaaanyway, back to ChartMusic. You can go wrong with dismissing
Spoiler alert
Sowing The Seeds Of Love[/i] as a bad example of 1960s pop homage, Mr Neil Kulkarni, I bloody love that single, probably for all the reasons the music press told us we weren't supposed to like it back in the summer of 1989.
[close]
I had quite the opposite experience, as I didn't read the inkies (I was mainly into Metal and they tended to be very sniffy toward my denim mates), but I was doing some factory work during the school holidays where Radio 1 was on all day and couldn't get why the likes of Bates were so insistent that it was some kind of masterpiece.  The fawning really didn't fit the reality to me, and it didn't help that a couple of years later INXS slopped out Baby Don't Cry to the same reception, which was almost certainly the result of someone in the band or their label pointing at StSoL and saying  "Do that".

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: dr beat on August 10, 2020, 01:25:27 AM
If you like Smershpod I'd strongly recommend the TV Creamguide Film Commentaries.  Similar films, better chat.

Yes, I like the TV Cream pods.

Neomod

Quote from: SteveDave on August 10, 2020, 10:01:44 AM
The one advert I got throughout the latest episodes was for "Bitchin'" where two women talk about a different person each week. It truly sounds great.

I got that one and "Trolled" with Tracy Ann Oberman

Unmissable

daf

No fans of the cockney nonce-bashers podcast?

Quote from: Neomod on August 10, 2020, 11:28:11 AM
I got that one and "Trolled" with Tracy Ann Oberman

Unmissable

Yeah, and the one about a Dom Joly keyfob or something.

non capisco

Quote from: daf on August 10, 2020, 11:45:30 AM
No fans of the cockney nonce-bashers podcast?

Can't wait for Taylor to guest on that one.

Neomod

I now want a Night Network-esque hour long chart music spin off TV show where the panel comment in real time on pop videos from a specific chart/era. No studio audience, just booze, snacks (Taylor has to eat after all) and a remote where they can stop the video if need be to elaborate on any coating down/praise/backstory.

Oh and an intermission with a Pan's People style troupe illustrating one of Mr Parke's flights of fancy through the medium of dance.

non capisco

Haha, yeah. The bit in the latest one where they just comment over that 1985 video top 10 is the closest Chart Music has come to becoming Beavis and Butthead. Loved it!

Reg Tits

Adverts  - Trolled with that cunt Tracy Ann Oberman, where she interviews that cunt Graham Linehan oh and that cunt David Baddiel, that cunt Danny Baker and double cunts Nick Cohen and Rachel Riley, what is this the cunt cup. So if you wanna hear from people who dish it out but can't take it there you go.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Danny Baker isn't a cunt.

Bernice

dr beat

Aw folks we're almost at the hallowed 100 pages, could we maybe keep things on-topic please? This isn't General Bullshit.  Lets keep entertainin' not hatin'.

buzby

Quote from: Rizla on August 08, 2020, 11:22:17 PM
Fucked my hat that I Know Him So Well is basically an ABBA song - I always liked that one,
Where were you in 1985 (apologies if you are a youngster)? Chess was big news, and as noted we had already had the even more ABBA-esque One Night In Bangkok from it as a single before this.

Sharpe & Newman's Change Your Mind is a favourite of mine - the 'weird sound' mentioned was the DX7 being put through a delay and an Eventide Harmonizer to get a 'vocal' effect. The video featured Sharpe fiddling about on a Fairlight rather than the DX7 though. It also features Tessa Niles on backing vocals.

Just on Part 3 now. Nice to see my comment at the Wordpress site about the studio monitor got a mention at the beginning of Part 2. However, in that vein....

The 'Hey!" and spoken-word vocal samples in AON's Close (To The Edit) are not from Anne Dudley, as noted in the TOTP thread from this era:
Quote from: buzby on January 27, 2018, 12:17:43 AM
POP FACT 2: The female vocal samples are not from Anne Dudley, but were recorded by Camilla Pilkington-Smyth, Pilkington Glass heir and a pupil at the school Jeczalik's girlfriend taught at.
It was mentioned by Gary Langan in this 2010 interview. It's even mentioned in the wiki article on the track, a rare occasion of the Wiki being correct.

Boys Of Summer is indeed a stone cold classic that gets more relevant as you get older.

Brundle-Fly

Can that Smash Hits 'Bits' story be verified about Gaz Numan happening to be booked in the studio next door to Bill Sharpe?  Imagine if Rocky Sharpe & The Replays had been in that studio?  Would they've called themselves Sharps Bin?

Go on, I said IMAGINE IT!!

Neomod

Quote from: buzby on August 11, 2020, 03:02:54 PM
It also features Tessa Niles on backing vocals.

My god, she was as ubiquitous as Afrodiziak back in the day.

Rizla

Quote from: buzby on August 11, 2020, 03:02:54 PM
Where were you in 1985 (apologies if you are a youngster)? Chess was big news, and as noted we had already had the even more ABBA-esque One Night In Bangkok from it as a single before this.
It was more an "obvious thing I've just realised" than a "fuck my hat I never knew that". I was aware it was Benny and Bjorn and thus all sounded quite ABBAesque, I was 9 and everyone's mum seemed to have the album then. Just never occured that it might actually be a leftover ABBA number. ONIB was surely written from scratch for the show though, I'm guessing.

dr beat

Boys of Summer and The Way It Is featured a lot as musical beds for Grandstand around this time.

dr beat

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

IT'S PIPOU TIME!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEQBDuPbC7s

Damn, I hoped that would nudge us up to 100 pages. A failed attempt at making history.

dr beat

First to get us to 100 pages wins a Judy Tzuke satin tour jacket

daf

DrGreggles

'Chart Music 2 - PIPOU TIME!!!' works for me.

Or 'David van Day's Chart Music'.

boki

daf

Ziggy Needham and The Melody Makers - "Coat-down Chartbusters vol. 2"