Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:36:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast

Started by DrGreggles, September 05, 2017, 07:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hedgehog90

Will they eventually delve into the 90s or is that against some self-imposed rule?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: SteveDave on September 12, 2017, 09:57:59 AM
Hmm. I listened to the first episode and found it painful. If you mention "Slade" and "Top Hat" the first person that springs to mind is Noddy not Dave. Pffft.

The first episode is a bit, "The '70s, eh? What were all that about?!" The other episodes aren't like that at all.

Natnar

Quote from: hedgehog90 on September 13, 2017, 09:49:39 AM
Will they eventually delve into the 90s or is that against some self-imposed rule?

They seem to think that Live Aid killed the pop charts (which is a load of old bollocks of course) so i don't think we'll be seeing too many post 1985 TOTP's being covered.

DrGreggles

I think there's a chance that they could reach as far as the end of the 'Radio 1 DJs as presenters' era, which was around 1991.
As long as they're presenting, there's money in them tha' hills!

kidsick5000

I can see them doing the 90s.
They'll probably do the big shows.
The ones we can recall.
Roses/Mondays, Nirvana's debut, the one stunt of the early 90s that worked ie New Order 'live' from the Baywatch beach.

But I guess they'll get a lot more about of what's around those moments.

DrGreggles

rapid relief

Quote from: kidsick5000 on September 14, 2017, 01:44:22 PM
I can see them doing the 90s.
They'll probably do the big shows.
The ones we can recall.
Roses/Mondays, Nirvana's debut, the one stunt of the early 90s that worked ie New Order 'live' from the Baywatch beach.

But I guess they'll get a lot more about of what's around those moments.

simon price has mentioned britpop in passing a couple of times on the podcast so I bet he's got some interesting stuff to say on mid 90s eps

rapid relief

also I can't stop watching alvin stardust on wheeltappers now. proper. his backing band look very NOW cave club london garage band

buzby

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 14, 2017, 07:15:59 PM
Did they play this?
Although they were offered $200k to do it (and got as far as recording the demo version on that video), Rob Gretton put the kybosh on it. That clip is from the NewOrderStory documentary that came out around the time of Republic's release where they recount the story behind it.
The ad was a mockup, edited together using shots from 2 genuine 1989 Sunkist "Drink In The Sun" commercials and  Kathryn Bigelow's promo for Touched By The Hand Of God (with the band dressed as hair metallers).
Commercial version 1
Commercial version 2
Touched By The Hand Of God

DrGreggles

Quote from: buzby on September 14, 2017, 09:33:23 PM
Although they were offered $200k to do it (and got as far as recording the demo version on that video), Rob Gretton put the kybosh on it. That clip is from the NewOrderStory documentary that came out around the time of Republic's release where they recount the story behind it.
The ad was a mockup, edited together using shots from 2 genuine 1989 Sunkist "Drink In The Sun" commercials and  Kathryn Bigelow's promo for Touched By The Hand Of God (with the band dressed as hair metallers).
Commercial version 1
Commercial version 2
Touched By The Hand Of God

I know.

Crabwalk

Episode #11 will belatedly drop tomorrow. Edition from early '82.

Huzzah!

non capisco

Yes!!

I saw they'd posted a link on the Facebook page to that brilliantly entertaining 'Trouble At The Top' Bucks Fizz documentary so hopefully whoever's on this week will be waxing lyrical about that little beauty.

Cursus

The new episode has dropped. (14 January 1982).

Crabwalk

Porter Dimi

That Dollar/David Van Day discussion is worth the price of admission alone.

non capisco

As is Taylor Parkes' fantastically scabrous anti-Dave Lee Travis broadside. Great episode, definitely worth the wait.

Porter Dimi

A brilliant line about Buck's Fizz: "This is like Dollar if Dollar had been produced by Alan Shearer".

non capisco

Al's account of accidentally meeting David Van Day. "I just looked at my pint because I thought if I actually say one word to this bloke I'd end up laughing so hard I'd produce a snot bubble that the Mongolfier brothers could have travelled across Paris in." I bloody love these. When Brown Sauce came up for discussion and I saw there was still an hour left I practically punched the air.

Possibly the biggest laugh for me was the description of one of the programmes that aired after the discussed episode later that day that involved footage of a hedgehog masturbating against a fence, "frotting itself into a lather".

And here is that extraordinary David Van Day/Bucks Fizz documentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2dAMA3R4pA

I'm sure you've all seen it, but it never gets old. Van Day really is an appalling cunt, isn't he? The corporeal embodiment of pure unadulterated evil. He's BOB from Twin Peaks with blonde highlights and PVC strides.

buzby

They are wrong about the Kool & The Gang video. Bohemian Rhapsody used simple video feedback (pointing the camera at a monitor showing it's output) to create the 'echo' effect (also notably used on Amii Stewart's Knock On Wood video). The Jacksons, Earth Wind & Fire and Kool & The Gang used a combination of a Scanimate analog video effects computer and a Quantel Paintbox (used to store and overlay the successive frames) to provide the 'motion trail' effect (it was also used on Kate Bush's Hammer Horror).

Video feedback and motion trail are 2 distinctly different effects (even the Wiki article on video feedback conflates them). The most obvious difference in that with the traditional video feedback effect you get a generational loss on each echo as it spirals off into infinity (the echoes rotate due to distortion in the camera optics and the movement of the echo trail is created by moving the camera in relation to the monitor), whereas the Scanimate/Quantel combination produces trails with virtually no loss (as the frames were stored digitally in the Paintbox) and trace the movement of the object/person past the camera in the original footage..

The main difference in the K&TG video is that they have set the Paintbox up to retain all the trail images indefinitely (in other videos it's only set to retain a few frames), which results in the screen being filled.

The video for The Model with the old newsreel footage is the official one, It was produced by Kraftwerk and director/producer Hans-Otto Mertens.

DrGreggles

A 'David van Day is a cunt' special should be released.
In fact, all podcasts should release one.

phantom_power

Taylor Parkes annoys me. He has a way with a cynical bon mot occasionally but in general he is a bit of a miserable twat

Simon Price, on the other hand, is great when I fully expected him to be a pretentious arsehole

Quote from: phantom_power on September 20, 2017, 11:41:07 PM
Taylor Parkes annoys me. He has a way with a cynical bon mot occasionally but in general he is a bit of a miserable twat

Simon Price, on the other hand, is great when I fully expected him to be a pretentious arsehole

Parkes is a sarcastic curmudgeon, but his sincere love of good pop music offsets that.

Simon Price is lovely, obviously.

non capisco

Parkes is my favourite. Possibly because I'm a miserable twat.

Porter Dimi

Funnily enough, the newly-renamed Buck's Fizz are on BBC Breakfast today. The saga continues still.

Epic Bisto

Bloody hell, Taylor Parkes is on a roll in this episode. The DLT rant is wonderful, as well as describing Burger Van Day as a wasp laying 'evil eggs' in the bloated corpse of Bucks Fizz.

Neil Kulkarni and Simon Price are my fave guests, whether they're describing sacrificing a packet of crisps on a druid's circle, or how Sham 69's performance was a major influence on Indian wedding videos.

gmoney

Can I just say that I also want a badge that says "Shakin' Stevens and the Sunsets: Heterosexual Rock and Roll". Just putting it out there.

gmoney

Wow! It's even better than I'd hoped.