Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,476
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:06:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast

Started by DrGreggles, September 05, 2017, 07:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Golden E. Pump

Got my name read out (actually my CaB user name, for the keen-eared Pop Youngsters)!!!

It probably hasn't reached a large enough audience yet to justify live shows and there would probably be legal problems with them showing an episode of TOTP to a paying audience.

Yeah I doubt its listenership is much above 1000 at the moment.

Beagle 2

The do artfully slag stuff off to such an extent that it ruins things I used to like though, I've just been listening to the one where Taylor Parkes takes Supergrass to pieces and I was like "yeah, that's actually all true". I mean, I basically hate everything I used to like in the 90s except Supergrass and now that's gone. Cunts.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Beagle 2 on April 19, 2018, 11:41:04 PM
The do artfully slag stuff off to such an extent that it ruins things I used to like though, I've just been listening to the one where Taylor Parkes takes Supergrass to pieces and I was like "yeah, that's actually all true". I mean, I basically hate everything I used to like in the 90s except Supergrass and now that's gone. Cunts.

A lot of it is "tongue in cheek" or "tongue grafted onto the side of your face " as Andy Partridge used to say. Taylor Parkes plays up to being a miserable, bitter old damaged bastard.  I wouldn't take his opinions too seriously.

Quote from: Beagle 2 on April 19, 2018, 11:41:04 PM

Nah they're totally fucking wrong about Supergrass. They wrote off the rest of their output when their second album is one of the best releases of the whole Brit pop era.

DrGreggles

I have no problem with them "coating down" any band I like (which, to be honest, has only been Supergrass so far) because they do tend to justify their reasons for doing so.

They're definitely wrong on that one though. Supergrass were fucking ace.

Neomod

Yeah, I don't take them too seriously slagging off some of my favourite bands.

Because they are wrong.

I do think Sarah B or a.n. other female ex journo from Al's twitter friends list need to make an appearance. It can sometimes get a bit blokey on occasion. 

Nelson

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 19, 2018, 11:53:32 PM
A lot of it is "tongue in cheek" or "tongue grafted onto the side of your face " as Andy Partridge used to say. Taylor Parkes plays up to being a miserable, bitter old damaged bastard.  I wouldn't take his opinions too seriously.

Listen to him on that Moroder single, or on the Xmas 1973 episode, on Baltimora or Livin Joy. He can be and often is full of joy and affection.

dr beat

QuoteIt probably hasn't reached a large enough audience yet to justify live shows and there would probably be legal problems with them showing an episode of TOTP to a paying audience.

Even though the contributors are all pithy enough in their turns of phrase to face a live audience, I do think it would be a very different podcast than it currently is, which is a series of entertainingly rambling conversations between friends, which are then edited.  A live version could easily lose the sense of intimacy.

Epic Bisto

A pub, a few drinks and a Chart Music DJ or two sounds good enough to me.

Also managed to log back into Patreon to vote for the Everett episode. It'll definitely lead to a fascinating discussion about yer Kenny.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Nelson on April 20, 2018, 01:47:15 PM
Listen to him on that Moroder single, or on the Xmas 1973 episode, on Baltimora or Livin Joy. He can be and often is full of joy and affection.

I know, i don't doubt TP's sincerity and clear love for pop music but sometimes I think he ramps up his ire and distaste for entertainment value.

What astounds me is his memory/ knowledge of mid-seventies tv/pop culture ephemera; considering he was toddler through most of that decade.

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 20, 2018, 07:26:07 PM
I know, i don't doubt TP's sincerity and clear love for pop music but sometimes I think he ramps up his ire and distaste for entertainment value.

What astounds me is his memory/ knowledge of mid-seventies tv/pop culture ephemera; considering he was toddler through most of that decade.

All of their knowledge of pop culture dating back over 30 years amazes me. I can't fucking remember half the shit that was going on when I was in my early teens but these blokes seem to have instant recall on obscure stuff going on at all times in their youth.

phantom_power

What is Simon Price's problem with Mai Tai? Isn't History a banger?

DrGreggles

Quote from: phantom_power on April 23, 2018, 09:08:28 PM

Decent prawn crackers too.

phantom_power

And I am watching that TOTP that from a couple of podcasts ago that was on the BBC4 repeats and although I can see it is a fucking awful song I can't help but love Frankie by Sister Sledge.

non capisco

Quote from: phantom_power on April 23, 2018, 09:08:28 PM

History is obviously a complete stormer, one of the increasingly scant pleasant discoveries from the 1985 TOTP repeats. The Price isn't always right. (He did rightly exclaim "tune!" at a brief mention of 'Heartache Avenue' by The Maisonettes, though.)

For some reason I really want to hear them discuss 'Do The Hucklebuck' by Coast To Coast. I've never quite managed to figure out why I'm faintly obsessed by that crappy record.

You'll probably get chance, that song seemed to be played on every episode during the recent 1981 repeat run.

Everett: "milking things we don't mention"

Opening credits seem way too long in 1973. The song over the rundown is awful and doesn't even get a namecheck.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

I like the Melody Maker writers. Not so keen on their mate from the pub. Also not keen on 90s men reminiscing about things they mainly read about. LOL SEVENTIES was shit in the 90s version. Look-back bores indeed.

DrGreggles

They were all born late 60s/early 70s aren't they?
So their formative years were watching TOTP in the 70s.

*apart from the lovely (and slightly younger) Sarah Bee

Taylor Parkes and Kulkarni are both about 46, Price and Al Needham are about 50 and David Stubbs is 56.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Mark Steels Stockbroker on April 27, 2018, 07:05:33 PM
Also not keen on 90s men reminiscing about things they mainly read about. LOL SEVENTIES was shit in the 90s version. Look-back bores indeed.

That's a rather reductionist view of this podcast; they only tend to laugh at things from the '70s - quite often with affection - that deserve a certain amount of derision. Even when I disagree with them, their critiques rarely strike me as cheap or lazy.

I liked the moment in a recent episode when, in the middle of their usual Edmonds piss-taking routine, Kulkarni went out of his way to point out that, as a child, he regarded Noel as a friendly, comforting TV presence, especially when presenting Swap Shop. I agree with that, Noel always came across as an avuncular host with a laid-back manner which appealed to kids. I also agree with their negative comments about him. They're pretty even-handed for the most part.

If it was just a bunch of sneering '90s hacks going "LOL '70s!!!", then I very much doubt that any of us would've made it through the first episode.

phantom_power

Yeah it would have been easy to go down the "Swap Shop was for posh kids but Tiswas was for us working class kids" but he was honest. It isn't just space hoppers and spangles

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

The justly lauded Two Man Sound segment is another case in point. Their reaction to that magnificently crazed performance is exactly right: they're baffled and amused, but they never dismiss it as worthless shit. On the contrary, they celebrate it for the divine piece of madness that it is.

It's probably my favourite bit of the podcast so far, everything about it is good-natured and joyous.

non capisco

I always enjoy it when Taylor's burnt out Eeyore facade breaks. The glee in his voice when he's discussing Two Man Sound. And Al is possibly the most likeable man in podcasting, "their mate from the pub", indeed.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 27, 2018, 08:39:59 PM
The justly lauded Two Man Sound segment is another case in point. Their reaction to that magnificently crazed performance is exactly right: they're baffled and amused, but they never dismiss it as worthless shit. On the contrary, they celebrate it for the divine piece of madness that it is.

It's probably my favourite bit of the podcast so far, everything about it is good-natured and joyous.

It's up there with the reveal of the age of the Brotherhood of Man's singer for me.
And the other Two Man Sound clip they added to the playlist is one of the greatest things I've ever seen.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Mark Steels Stockbroker on April 27, 2018, 07:05:33 PM
I like the Melody Maker writers. Not so keen on their mate from the pub. Also not keen on 90s men reminiscing about things they mainly read about. LOL SEVENTIES was shit in the 90s version. Look-back bores indeed.

Explain. What is the reminiscing/ taking an interest in your childhood past cut off point then?

Don't be an old  "You weren't there!!!" wally.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 28, 2018, 02:05:06 AM

Explain. What is the reminiscing/ taking an interest in your childhood past cut off point then?

Listening to them talking about 1995 and Britpop = great. Looking at all the other dates just makes me sigh. Would prefer a thematic structure not tied to TOTP editions.

If you can guarantee absolutely no LOL YEWTREE content I'll try one of the earlier ones.

The only episode that they would all be too young to remember was 1970 but they do not pretend to have been watching it from their dad's balls. They mainly critique the up skirt stuff and the fact that it has not yet found its peak style. Some of the music from that episode would have been still around in 1973 such as Jackson 5 and Lennon.

Al was properly emotional about Xmas 1973 spent with relatives who are now dead. He loves The Sweet more than he loves Bowie. The 90s talking heads would have sneered at The Sweet.