Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:18:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast

Started by DrGreggles, September 05, 2017, 07:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Epic Bisto

Ten years later, he turned his hand to Heterosexual Zydeco.

Neomod

Luckily for them they were complimentary about C Grogan. Parkes was right about the drummer looking like a speed dealer though.

Beagle 2

Can we not just have a Taylor Parkes podcast where he slags off Dave Lee Travis in new and interesting ways every episode?

non capisco

Fans of the podcast should 100% subscribe to the Chart Music Youtube channel. One extensively packed playlist for every episode. The hedgehog documentary is on there! I haven't got to the bit where it frots itself off against a fence yet but the first five minutes of close up hedgehog action have been properly hypnotic.

Also, you see that 'sexy'-era Bucks Fizz performance where the young lad on the table down the front is trying not to notice Jay Aston's arse in front of his tutting mum.

phantom_power

I have warmed to Parkes now and am loving this podcast. That Radio One DJ documentary is amazing. Rosko is such a sleazebag, personifying everything they were talking about with regard to men who love that fawning, doe-eyed young girl thing. And the Bucks Fizz documentary is ace as well.

For some reason when you Google Taylor Parkes his picture is that of Caitlin Moran, possibly because they used to go out. He also went out with Lauren Laverne I see, lucky sod. I hate him again now

Porter Dimi

Watching this Live Lounge thing on BBC Four and beginning to think they might have a point about Live Aid ruining pop music.

daf

Crabwalk

Episode #12 arrives on Monday 'and it's a 90s one' according to the facebook page. Delighted that they're breaking their rule! My guess is it'll be from 92-94 and feature one of blur, Suede or the Manics.

phantom_power

I have missed this. They need to do one at least every other week

gilbertharding

Quote from: Neomod on September 22, 2017, 01:12:05 PM
Luckily for them they were complimentary about C Grogan. Parkes was right about the drummer looking like a speed dealer though.

You missed the line about her being 'a female Freddie Garrity' then?

Cursus

Quote from: Crabwalk on October 13, 2017, 10:24:38 AM
Episode #12 arrives on Monday 'and it's a 90s one' according to the facebook page. Delighted that they're breaking their rule! My guess is it'll be from 92-94 and feature one of blur, Suede or the Manics.

New one's up: March 16th 1994 – No Wonder Northern Uproar Had To Happen

QuoteYes, Blur are on at the beginning, but that's your Britlot. What follows is a parade of people we thought we'd safely left behind in the Eighties, loads of Euro-acts both good and bad, Alison Moyet being forced to submit to an unrelenting biff-boff beat and a No.1 that left us hankering for the days of Jive Bunny. On the upside, Roachford manages to get through a song without shitting himself (allegedly).

Crabwalk

Quote from: Crabwalk on October 13, 2017, 10:24:38 AM

Not the world's most outrageous prediction but I am still strangely satisfied.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I'm 20 minutes into this, and their chat about working at MM in the '90s is fascinating.

Porter Dimi

Never thought forty minutes of them talking about Melody Maker would be so enjoyable to listen to.

phantom_power

I have been pathetically excited waiting for this to drop

Crabwalk

45 minutes of Price and Kulkarni talking about their Maker years is pretty much my dream podcast. I reckon about 50% of my identity and sense of self came from reading that paper from '92-'97 and it was great to hear them so fiercely righteous about what made it great.

Epic Bisto

The Melody Maker gossip was lovely. Also, Pro-Moyet, Anti-Amos. All spot on in every way.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Crabwalk on October 16, 2017, 08:27:29 PM
45 minutes of Price and Kulkarni talking about their Maker years is pretty much my dream podcast. I reckon about 50% of my identity and sense of self came from reading that paper from '92-'97 and it was great to hear them so fiercely righteous about what made it great.

Same here, Melody Maker was so fucking exciting and eye-opening in those days. Writers like Price and Kulkarni were inspiring.

I've mentioned this on here before, but I wrote for MM in the late '90s. When I joined as a callow youth, Everett True was the editor (he hired me), but within a few months he'd been replaced by Mark Sutherland. That's when we were all sent that hideous 'style bible' mentioned in the podcast, the one instructing us to patronise the reader by explaining who pre-'80s music acts were. It was so insulting, for writers and readers alike.

Anyway, I didn't fit in there at all, as I was blatantly influenced by the old guard of MM writers. Also, I hated most of the bands they championed in those days. I wasn't very good either - I was an embarrassingly self-conscious kid trying to ape the style of my heroes - but by the time I'd learned how to write, they stopped hiring me. I don't blame them, as a pretentious, miserable twat slagging off yer Stereophonics et al was the last thing they needed.

And that's my story.

Jim_MacLaine

Quote from: gilbertharding on October 13, 2017, 12:34:04 PM
You missed the line about her being 'a female Freddie Garrity' then?

I chose to filter out that zinger from Parky. He was only 9 and knew no better.

Epic Bisto

For some reason, the Roachford discussion had me wiping the tears from my eyes in between howls of laughter. I've just checked the website they mentioned, and while not spoiling it, it's perfectly succinct.

Porter Dimi

Fantastic description of the Blur/Oasis feud: "Like cat shit having a go at dog shit for stinking of shit."

Neomod

Quote from: Jim_MacLaine on October 16, 2017, 09:00:15 PM
I chose to filter out that zinger from Parky. He was only 9 and knew no better.

I actually had to look up Freddie Garrity. Ouch!

phantom_power

Fucking sit closer to the microphone Neil

Porter Dimi

Only downside of that episode is that some fucker keeps clicking his pen at random points.

Crabwalk

Quote from: Porter Dimi on October 17, 2017, 09:36:31 AM
Only downside of that episode is that some fucker keeps clicking his pen at random points.

That was Neil and according to the Chart Music twitter account, he's been told...

non capisco

The anecdote about Meat Loaf hosting Top Of The Pops had me howling this morning.

Crabwalk

Yes, I did a proper embarrassing lol on the train at that one.

phantom_power

Not liking this as much as they slipped into cunty music journos at the start which make them a lot less likable. Hopefully it will get better when they talk about the actual music

nedthemumbler

Quote from: phantom_power on October 17, 2017, 03:26:56 PM
Not liking this as much as they slipped into cunty music journos at the start which make them a lot less likable. Hopefully it will get better when they talk about the actual music

I feel fairly sure they wouldn't deny they are 'cunty music journos', and that episode was fantastic.  Too young really for Melody Maker but still loved their dissection of its heyday and demise.  So many cheap zingers but still big picture analysis in every episode.

DrGreggles

Definitely my favourite podcast at the moment.
I could listen to this for fucking ages.

Weirdly this is the first episode that covers a TOTP that was broadcast after I considered it to be too uncool for me, but it's still a tremendous listen.
Proof, if it were needed, that the format works regardless.

Should we start a sweep on who the first person to be called a cunt in the next episode will be?