Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 10:18:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast

Started by DrGreggles, September 05, 2017, 07:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

They (apart from Al) are wrong about Mama Used to Say though

Crabwalk

I'll have to listen again, there were so many highlights. Taylor saying the podcast is less like nostalgia and more like military history was inspired. Al's comments on the England World Cup 82 album where hilarious too. I hope everyone listened right to the end of the podcast?

Brundle-Fly

Thoroughly enjoyable but a little heavy on the 'footy chat' for my tastes but the rest made up for it. The traffic lights on an empty street at 4am/ audience facial expressions comparison was pure poetry.

Another vote for Junior Giscombe, I loved that single and it was the first time I'd ever heard of a 'remix'.

Also, sorry Parkesy, I really fancied all of Bananarama in their early 'panda eyed tom boys dragged through a hedge backwards' incarnation.

I was ambivalent about B.A.Robertson but I did think Ken Bailey was a loathsome cunt though.

sweeper

Taylor Parkes should write a highly opinionated book about the post-Beatles Beatles. I would read that. Or even do a similarly exhaustive podcast.

How can I make that happen?

Nelson

What was the backing track on the Ray Clemence spoken word thing at the end? Was that bit a pastiche of something?

Crabwalk

Pretty sure it was God Speed You! Black Emperor, as foreshadowed earlier in the show.

Nelson

Thanks! That passed me by.

Epic Bisto

Okay, I'll admit it. I've been listening to "I Won't Let You Down" by PHD solidly for about an hour or more. I shouldn't like it as there's so much to dislike (Jim Diamond's voice, obviously, is one reason), but it sounds so pleasing to these ears. I'm such a sucker for minor chords.

Damn you, Chart Music!

Crabwalk

The verses are awful but it has a great chorus, don't feel guilty. Have you watched the video yet? Astonishingly naff.

Neomod

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 20, 2018, 06:44:18 PM

Keren and Siobhan, the 'nanas' very own Miranda and Sarah-Jane.

Epic Bisto

Quote from: Crabwalk on June 25, 2018, 10:47:55 PM
The verses are awful but it has a great chorus, don't feel guilty. Have you watched the video yet? Astonishingly naff.
I see enough shrunken men with bad complexions when I go to the shops, but I'll give it a shot.

phantom_power

It's one of those songs that I completely forgot about until the TOTP repeats and then became mildly obsessed with. Those almost apocalyptic synths are what make it

DrGreggles

Quote from: Neomod on June 26, 2018, 01:48:05 AM
Keren and Siobhan, the 'nanas' very own Miranda and Sarah-Jane.

Yes, yes, yes and yes.

Saw Keren once at a petrol station, buying some fags while Andrew Ridgley filled up his flash motor.
Managed to avoid saying "I LOVE YOU, KEREN!" at her and just gave a polite "Hi" instead.
This was about 10 years ago, but she looked amazing (and probably still does).

Golden E. Pump

The last two 80s episodes were full of bangers, weren't they?

Porter Dimi

From Facebook:

QuoteIn an extremely rare occurrence, two-thirds of Chart Music were in the same room at the weekend. Because it was ridiculously hot, we sort of looked like the occupants of the hut next door in Auf Wiedersehen Pet. So this is the only photograph that was taken.
(Naughty Naughty Naughty by Joy Sarney was watched twice)

Next episode May 1977 then?

daf

Quoteoccupants of the hut next door in Auf Wiedersehen Pet

As sung by (the) Carpenters

Neomod

I still can't quite match Al's voice to his face.

I was expecting a shaggy mop of hair and a youthful face.

Still, that last episode was a delight.

Epic Bisto

I initially thought that, considering his tone of voice and overall outlook on life, that Parkes resembled Vigo from Ghostbusters II. When he's not flooding New York with slime, he can be seen in the museum, watching old Open University programmes about limestone quarries in Estonia and snacking on goods from the Murat Food Centre.

David Stubbs will forever look like Ken Baily to me.

Neomod

"new town shopping parade hair and beauty salon"

Epic Bisto

Who knew that Tip Tipping was in Tight Fit for a bit?

famethrowa

Has anyone been appreciating Al's witty puns? He's obviously practiced them in advance, I can't remember the context, but some choice ones have been:

- about some female retro outfit... She-waddywaddy

- some cheesy soul act...  Chitlins-in-a-basket

- White-ney Houston

any others have tickled your fancy?

DrGreggles

Tori Amos as "Shakin' Bush" was a good 'un.

Not really a pun though...

Porter Dimi

Not really a pun, but Soul Rail Replacement Service is fantastic.

Campbell Soupe

Quote from: famethrowa on July 05, 2018, 06:23:49 AM
Has anyone been appreciating Al's witty puns? He's obviously practiced them in advance, I can't remember the context, but some choice ones have been:

- about some female retro outfit... She-waddywaddy

any others have tickled your fancy?

Scab-waddehwaddeh - Al's reaction to the ubiquitous 50s throwbacks grumbling about the Musician's Union.  That one got a fair chuckle out of me.

DrGreggles

New episode coming on Friday!

DrGreggles

Epic Bisto

Two of the best guests and some choice acts ripe for dissection. Right on!

Edit to add: MOOF POOFIN!

dr beat