Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:41:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

CAPCOM

Started by Barry Admin, September 06, 2017, 11:54:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the

Quote from: buzby on September 06, 2017, 10:43:55 PMmy small collection of  my favourite arcade PCBs

Ooh, whatcha got then buzby?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It would be extreme hyperbole to describe Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 as humanity's greatest achievement, but also entirely accurate.

buzby

Quote from: the on September 06, 2017, 10:57:29 PM
Ooh, whatcha got then buzby?
Namco Pac-Land (repaired - the audio amp heatsink was missing, which then caused the IC to burn out. I also had to make a Namco to JAMMA adapter)
Irem' R-Types' (conversion - an Irem Major Title PCB I've modified to play both R-Type I and II romsets)
Mitchell Pang (desuicided - it's a Capcom Pre-CPS Kabuki-based PCB)
Gaelco World Rally Championship (desuicided - Gaelco helpfully released the contents fo the Dallas MCU decryption chip so I could reprogram it after replacing the battery)
Kaneko Mille Miglia: Great 1000 Miles Rally 1 and 2
19-in-1 Horizontal Multi-PCB (basically a bootleg of the JROK Williams Multi-PCB with a few extras - I got it primarily for Ghosts And Goblins and Super Mario Brothers)
Neo Geo MV1FS motherboard (required repairing due to a damage from a leaky battery, and upgraded it to UniBIOS) and a 161-in-1 multicart (it's got umpteen fighters on it, but I got it for the Metal Slug games, Pulstar, Blazing Star, Viewpoint, Neo Drift Out and Puzzle Bobble)

asids

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on September 07, 2017, 12:09:32 AM
It would be extreme hyperbole to describe Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 as humanity's greatest achievement, but also entirely accurate.

I do like it, but then again the game keeps insisting it "takes me for a ride", and I'm not really interested in its advances, so I do feel quite sexually harassed when playing it. I hope that aspect is removed in the re-release.

Pdine

Their Nintendo co-produced Gameboy and Gameboy Advance Zelda titles were great. (Oracle of Ages, Oracle of Seasons, Minish Cap)

Kawaks is a good emulator for CPS1/2 (Capcom Play System) arcade games (and Neo-Geo too). It's pretty old now but it's been on my laptop for years, for whenever I feel the need for some 16-bit era arcade nostalgia.

All the Streetfighters up to Alpha 3, Final Fight, Strider, Mercs, UN Squadron, Alien vs Predator, Progear (wonderful 2D shooter from Cave), Darkstalkers, 1944X, Marvel Super Heroes, Saturday Night Slam Masters ... just classic after classic.

madhair60

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on September 07, 2017, 12:09:32 AM

select yer charicktor

select yer assis type

madhair60

I remember when I unlocked Felicia and my eyes nearly popped out of my head. Days are gone

Barry Admin

Quote from: the on September 06, 2017, 10:32:15 PM
Just had a quick blast on Daimakaimura, stopped when I died on my first life (as I always do):

https://s26.postimg.org/5pcyntlw9/Daimakaimura_1_Life_Hi_Score_2017-09-06.png

Bit tricky to make out, but it's 69300, on one life. Would probably have got further if the bloody dagger had turned up.

Dip switch settings, for those interested (pretty sure they're the defaults).

Nice! I would watch a playthrough.

1943 really is the tits. I loved the C-64 version, but didn't expect it to still
Be such a great shoot-me-up... it's kind of making me really interested in the genre again. It hits a reasonable balance with difficulty, too (unlike FUCKING Trojan), where you don't feel like the game is just unfairly dicking you over for credits.

I love also that Capcom really worked on giving different qualities and ranges to do different weapons. It feels like they set up the likes of Quake much later on. For instance, look at Side Arms or Ghosts 'N Goblins from the previous year (1985). Shotguns in the former have great spread, but very little range. Fire has the drawback of curving away from you in an arc, meaning you have to judge your shots.

Brilliant!

This kind of weapon diversity became hugely important in the early days of first person shooters, and Quake, and in some respects has sadly been lost now. You tend to be more restricted in what you can carry, because balance, whereas a Quake 3 death match would have you switching weapons furiously as your range and opportunities changed.

I'm still very impressed also at their dedication to armour, and to upgradeable weapons and the like.

They fucking loved that countdown clock, too.

Such a solid framework... they had so many risk and reward things going on, and gave the player ample opportunity to get geared up, as long as they had the minerals.

Barry Admin

Even though the Marvel vs Capcom series has been mentioned, I only just remembered that they were behind the absolutely glorious Phoenix Wright games too! I think those are among the best games I've ever played, and I really, really need to find the time to do them again. Absolute narrative brilliance - I loved every second of those games, they really are stunningly good.

Had also forgotten about Ghost Trick, which was also available on the DS, and the was incredibly original and brilliant

madhair60

Have you played the 3DS ones? Dual Destinies and Spirit of Justice. As good as the GBA ones, which were also ported to 3DS as a cheaply-priced trilogy. They're going to be re-releasing Apollo Justice on there soon as well.

Bazooka

Project X Zone is a fantastic two games on the 3DS, for those of you unaware they are turn based rpg's with some beat em up elements featuring units (usually 2 characters with an assist character) made up of Capcom characters from over the decades, Arthur from ghosts/goblins,Ryu,Dante,Mega Man ,Jill Valentine etcs and enemies from the many games. It's really good if a bit too long by the final stages. Same problem with Fire Emblem, you try and perfectly clear the map which takes ages due to the turn based nature, only to die to an unexpected boss that appears and you have to do it all again.

I would really like a new Breath of Fire game at this point, and I can't wait for Monster Hunter Worlds.

Phil_A

Quote from: Bazooka on September 08, 2017, 09:57:14 AM
I would really like a new Breath of Fire game at this point, and I can't wait for Monster Hunter Worlds.

Ohh yes, BoF IV was one of the best looking games on the Playstation. Such a shame the series stalled after Dragon Quarter.

Barry Admin

Got to the second level on Commando now, two games in a row. First time I did it on my first life, I felt like a
GOD!   Haha, so many years since I played these kind of shoot-em-ups. It's actually quite difficult just getting your bullets to go where you want, so I'm kind of whipping the stick round to get good coverage.

Your soldier takes a fag break between levels. Lovely stuff.

Had a blast with these all weekend, hopefully I can get some ROMs and my tablet handles Mame okay.

Still can't beat the first boss in Avengers, shit is impossible, cunt never rests. Edit: had a quick look on YouTube there, guys just tanks the hits and loses most of his lives. Useless.

Bazooka

Ah yeah Avengers, think I only beat the first level, have to get very close to the enemies if I remember correctly.

madhair60

I bought that Capcom Arcade Cabinet in the sale but it doesn't seem to have appeared in my games list after the download (very small, a matter of kb, very odd).

Barry Admin

That's just the DLC - it's the pack of all games, now you have to buy the actual program for like 3 quid. Bit daft but there you go. Well worth it. I'm getting some of the Japanese comics and stuff unlocked now, lovely extras.

Bandai Namco sale this week, bit disappointing, was hoping for a lot more retro stuff than is showing on my 360.

madhair60

Oh you have to download the trial? It's the "complete pack" I bought. I'll get on that when I get home, how do the unlockables work?

Barry Admin

That's just the DLC, go to the store and look for "Capcom arcade cabinet" - complete pack is all the games. Whoever marks stuff for sale obviously made the same error.

Unlockables: not quite sure, just playing, I think. Some do seem to pop up when you get past certain bits of the game, but I suspect they all unlock over time. Could be score-related also. Sorry, useless.

Barry Admin

Finally had a good run with The Speed Rumbler! It just clicked, and I got through to the second stage, maybe for the first time ever. A real achievement - new stage graphics, and new background music, yaaas. Then I died.

These games are so tense and can frustrate me in a way that doesn't usually happen. But you do have this sense of gradual progression where you know you're getting better, and you want to keep trying.

Three lives, time limit, power-ups - all lovely stuff, very effective.

Gun.Smoke is still kicking my fuck in though - I think the secret there might be the different firing patterns. I dunno.

biggytitbo

Playing Resident Evil 7 right now, this is good. Really evokes the feeling of the best classic Resi games but not frustrating and annoying.

Osmium

The best Zelda game, Okami, is getting another release later this year.

madhair60

Quote from: Osmium on September 12, 2017, 10:28:21 PM
The best Zelda game, Okami, is getting another release later this year.

Okami is a boring pile of shit that never fucking ends. I will never understand its appeal.

I enjoyed Okami right up until the end... but then it kept going.

Bhazor

If the new release has a skip dialog button then maybe I'd play it. Because seriously the dialog in that thing makes MGS 2 look concise.

Look at this shit. https://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/920500-okami/faqs/50772

More than 160,000 words. That's longer than The Two Towers.

biggytitbo

Developers in love with their own games is a pet hate of mine. I don't give a shit about your self indulgent plot and dialogue, just get on with the game. I find a lot of Nintendo games unplayable for the interminable, unskippable cut scenes. They aren't the worst offenders, but the N64/GameCube era was particularly bad for it.

I'm pretty much in the camp now that any cut scenes in games are a failure of game design and narrative. If you can't tell your story in gameplay then you've ballsed it up.

At least a cutscene allows you to naff off and make a cup of tea or something. The intro to the otherwise excellent Arkham Asylum is both unskippable and in gameplay, meaning you have to sit there for ages just to make Batman walk sloooowly forward.

biggytitbo

'Playable' cut scenes are a bit better I suppose. I thought how Resi 7 made the videos you want playable was quite well done.

Barry Admin

After a stressful day yesterday, I hoped once I got home I could just play loads of early Capcom games with no fuss. NOPE. Getting the latest rom set downloaded to a tablet is kind of a nightmare. I mean, I can't even get the bloody website pages to load up - they're so big they crash my browser. I think I may just compromise for the meantime, and get an older, less fussy version of MAME. (No, Kawaks doesn't work with my (Capcom) arcade stick.)

CPS2 games do look particularly amazing, too. They're at that era where 2D graphics just looked wicked, good and detailed, with very fluid animations.

One thing is starting to become clear to me: Capcom are GODS. It's pretty easy just to take them for granted, or to only think of them in terms of Street Fighter and their fighting games in general, plus Resident Evil and a few other franchises. But I am finding so many amazing games that I've played over the years, and I just didn't realise or remember they were Capcom. Forgotten Worlds, for instance. Cyberbots. Punisher. Alien vs Predator.

I'm gonna focus on Capcom for a while. Particularly interested in early stuff, but as I say, so many gems in the CPS2 era, when I can get set up. 1944 looks like an absolute beast, and there are about five million more Marvel fighting games than I ever knew existed!

Bhazor

Though Capcom's best era was definitely in the past, they were my favourite SNES era publisher, there are still some great later games and it's arguable they're entering a resurgance. Dragon's Dogma, Resi 6 and Monster Hunter World looks like the game to bring the series out of its niche* and into a wider audience. Most importantly a PC audience.

The rise of the "Playable cutscenes" is why I would celebrate a meteor hitting Naughty Dog studios.

Uncharted, Last of Us? DLC into grave.

*Admittedly that niche could be referred to as the nation of Japan.