Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:35:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Your Name

Started by alan nagsworth, September 06, 2017, 11:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

Couldn't find a thread for this, but it's been about for a little while now apparently. I caught a screening in Leicester Square the other night with my girlfriend (she'd seen it earlier in the year and was singing its praises as "one of the only films she's cried at") and I absolutely loved it.

In short, it's a film about a boy and a girl who infrequently switch bodies at times when one or the other are asleep. Without spoiling it, there's a meteor involved, and the plot goes in some truly beautiful and imaginative directions. One of the best aspects of it is the expansive analysis of the mystery and wonderment of dreams, which adds to the sheer beauty of the thing, as well as the emotional depth and utterly gorgeous animation. Just incredible. Had me in tears on three separate occasions.

As an aside I'd just like to say FUCK YOU to a) the weeaboo couple sat over the other side of the room who were talking through about the first third of the film, like actually chatting, not even muttering, and even sometimes laughing, FUCK YOU, and; b) the small handful of people sat behind us who fucking LAUGHED when Mitsuha is writing her name on Taki's hand, and the twilight turns to night, she disappears and the pen falls to the floor which I would consider to be the saddest part of the whole goddamn film. FUCK YOU AS WELL. Learn to watch a film properly you shitheads.

Anyway go and see this film it is fantastic.

BlodwynPig

Sounds Murakami-a-like (the bit in white)

hewantstolurkatad

This came out in January, had an IMAX rerelease a week or two ago though.

First half of the film was very pretty, occasionally quite funny and seemed to be revelling in its more airy plot points.

Second half was one of the worst things I've seen all year. Became a total mess as it went along, felt like listening to someone trying to explain some overcomplicated thought they've had but with the vocabulary of a four year old. Exhausting in its stumbling attempts to grasp at meaning. The universal acclaim for this baffles me tbh, I get some people liking it but nowhere near as many as do... I feel like people have such low standards for anime that isn't Miyazaki that competent animation a plot that isn't about gigantic robots alone will sell them on it.

Small Man Big Horse

I watched this tonight and I'm 95% with Nags, though I did think it dipped slightly in the second half which stopped it from being something I'll rave about forever more, but it's still a thing of beauty and all round loveliness in general.

Edit: Interesting bit of trivia on the wiki page:

QuoteDespite the praise he received, Makoto Shinkai insisted that the film is not as good as it could have been: "There are things we could not do, Masashi Ando [Director of animation] wanted to keep working [on] but had to stop us for lack of money ... For me it's incomplete, unbalanced. The plot is fine but the film is not at all perfect. Two years was not enough."

Can only imagine what it would have been like with two further years work, and given it's success hopefully for his next film he'll be given all the time and money he requires.

alan nagsworth

I'll chuck him a fiver if it helps move things along.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: alan nagsworth on October 20, 2017, 05:45:27 PM
I'll chuck him a fiver if it helps move things along.

You cheap fuck. I've already sent a tenner in the post and I'm dead broke.

Also, this is depressing: https://www.avclub.com/j-j-abrams-to-produce-a-live-action-western-version-of-1818869024

QuoteJ.J. Abrams to produce a live-action Western version of anime smash-hit Your Name

J.J. Abrams is the latest Hollywood producer to stick his hand straight into the anime-to-live-action woodchipper, with Variety reporting that the Star Wars: Episode IX director has signed on to guide a movie based on last year's anime sensation Your Name into American theaters. Eric Heisserer, who earned an Oscar nomination last year for Best Adapted Screenplay for Arrival, will write the script.

Your Name was an absolute box office smash in Japan, where it became the fourth-most successful movie in the country's history, after Spirited Away, Titanic, and Frozen. The film focuses on two Japanese teenagers who find themselves swapping bodies, managing to communicate with each other via written notes and phone memos.

Given his Star Wars duties, it seems improbable that Abrams will end up directing the adaptation, although Paramount will presumably be happy to be at least getting this much attention from "its" star director. Meanwhile, the film will be entering a market that saw the studio's last big attempt to turn Japanese animation into a live-action American film—Ghost In The Shell—bomb at the box office amidst accusations of whitewashing.

hewantstolurkatad

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on October 20, 2017, 05:38:27 PM

Edit: Interesting bit of trivia on the wiki page:
The plot is fine

Consignia

I finally caught up with this film after putting it off for ages. I must say, I found it a bit disappointing given the hype around it. I'm not the biggest Shinkai fan, my favourite work of his being "She and Her Cat", a short featuring barely any animation. I mean it looked gorgeous and it was quite an enjoyable experience. But it just felt so standard, not doing anything really different with the body swap type stories. I guess I'm a bit annoyed since I had one of the plot points, the time travel aspect, spolit for me before hand and I spent half the film trying to spot how it fitted in.

I also came hot off the heels of seeing A Silent Voice, which I felt was a much engaging film, tackling a much harder subject matter. I'd certainly recommend that film, if you liked Your Name. It's certainly an interesting contrast on the experiences of youth.