Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,484
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 05:38:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

SEGA

Started by Barry Admin, September 07, 2017, 12:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

What do you think of these fucking blue sky red shoes plinky-plink and doopy-doo wankers?

(As soon as I thought of starting this thread, I remembered THIS. Boy am I glad about that.)

madhair60

SEGA - Black Sabbath
Nintendo - Steps

biggytitbo

I was watching a youtube video where British and Australian gamers were reminciing about the golden years of Sega and the australian guy pronounced it as See-ga throughout, even tbough the british guy pronounced it as Say-ga throughout. Very odd, especially for a company whose games almost always started with a sample of someone saying Say-ga.

Consignia

Quote from: madhair60 on September 07, 2017, 01:02:26 PM
SEGA - Black Sabbath
Nintendo - Steps

Pfft, if Nintendo are Steps, Sega are S Club 7.

Blinder Data

I am happy to let SEGA fanboys think they are cooler. I am comfortable in the knowledge that Mario is better than Sonic, and that a handle of Nintendo's best games add up to much more than all of Sega's output.

I mean they don't even make consoles anymore *smh*

asids

Quote from: Blinder Data on September 07, 2017, 02:20:56 PM
I am happy to let SEGA fanboys think they are cooler. I am comfortable in the knowledge that Mario is better than Sonic, and that a handle of Nintendo's best games add up to much more than all of Sega's output.

I mean they don't even make consoles anymore *smh*

Shut it mate, Alex Kidd is way cooler than Mario and you know it.

madhair60

This thread will end in real-word bloodshed.

Thursday

Sega make the Yakuza games, so clearly they're the best.

asids

Shag, marry, avoid: Shigeru Miyamoto, Yu Suzuki, Jack Tramiel's corpse.

Kelvin

I think of SEGA games like really, really high quality trash. Like walking past a bin, and seeing a gorgeous pair of brand new sneakers on the top.

You know where you stand with Sega. Crappy controls, brash announcers, awful 3d camera zooms, no real depth, but usually a really solid, addictive gameplay loop that makes all that other stuff irrelevant. Frankly, any company that makes a game as good as Super Monkey Balls on the gamecube deserves a place in gaming heaven. That game is the very definition of beautiful, wonderful trash.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I don't care what any of those nutters in that other thread say, Sonic was only ever okay, not a classic. Virtua Cop wasn't a patch on Time Crisis either.

On the hardware side, they could bang on about blast processing all they wanted, but the SNES' mode 7 was far more impressive (plus it sounds like it could be the name of a French techno band).

biggytitbo

The Megadrive was a lot more powerful than the SNES though, which had some fancy graphics modes but a very underpowered processor. Some of the stuff they did towards the end of the megadrive was insane, like Toy Story and Gunstar Heroes. The Snes did some impressive stuff towards the end too, but not without the use of special chips in the cartridges.

Pseudopath

Quote from: biggytitbo on September 07, 2017, 10:16:13 PM
The Snes did some impressive stuff towards the end too, but not without the use of special chips in the cartridges.

*cough*

Replies From View

Alex Kidd was awesome, especially whenever he stopped to do this:

Yes, that's right.  Not a game of wank, wankety wank, but a game of rock, paper, scissors.

If a game doesn't increase the size of selected body parts to help show what is going on, it is doing something wrong.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Pseudopath on September 07, 2017, 10:39:12 PM
*cough*

Wasnt that the only game that used it?

Thats the other thing about the era of gaming that looks unbelievable now, how expensive the games were. Even your average SNES/megadrive game could be £40-50 and some of them were £60. That Virtual Racing game was £100!

No wonder the speccy lasted until the 90s, when the games were only £2.

asids

Mind when Nintendo ripped off the great SEGA Soccer Slam with their own version, Mario Smash Football? Taking their steps from the true masters there. Legend of Zelda? I'll take Jet Set Radio and Space Channel 5 over that nonsense any day of the week. Who wants to play as that twat Link?

Also, that Nintendo Switch...mind the Dreamcast Visual Memory Units? Take it out your controller and game on the go. Sega did it first.

And I reckon the Sega 32X (with or without the Sega CD) is well better than the Nintendo 64DD too. Less bits but it doesn't matter. It's just better. You can't play Knuckles' Chaotix on the 64DD, for example.

Consignia

Quote from: asids on September 07, 2017, 10:56:27 PM
You can't play Knuckles' Chaotix on the 64DD, for example.

That's actually a blessing. Chaotix is shiiiiiiiittt.

Barry Admin

They sell a Link hoody in Game now. I wanted to get Kelvin one for his birthday but couldn't afford it.

It's the thought that counts.

What? Of course he'd wear it. Haven't you met the guy?

Consignia

Do we want to start a new topic on video game apparel? I think I could muster up at least two anecdotes.

Barry Admin

Do it. This awesome sub forum has been dead as fuck and we're working on that shit.

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on September 07, 2017, 10:55:52 PM
Thats the other thing about the era of gaming that looks unbelievable now, how expensive the games were. Even your average SNES/megadrive game could be £40-50 and some of them were £60. That Virtual Racing game was £100!

It was unbelievable at the time, dipshit.  Clever people knew this in the first place and didn't invest in consoles.

madhair60

Quote from: Kelvin on September 07, 2017, 09:42:24 PM
I think of SEGA games like really, really high quality trash. Like walking past a bin, and seeing a gorgeous pair of brand new sneakers on the top.

You know where you stand with Sega. Crappy controls, brash announcers, awful 3d camera zooms, no real depth, but usually a really solid, addictive gameplay loop that makes all that other stuff irrelevant. Frankly, any company that makes a game as good as Super Monkey Balls on the gamecube deserves a place in gaming heaven. That game is the very definition of beautiful, wonderful trash.

I hated you at the start of this post but by the end we were basically okay. If I ever meet you I will punch you in the sack, though (I won't)

Barry Admin

Make sure to also tell him he'd suit causal Link cosplay, just in case.

Replies From View

Quote from: Barry Admin on September 07, 2017, 11:49:56 PM

They have formal, casual and causal Link cosplay nowadays.

Kelvin

Quote from: Barry Admin on September 07, 2017, 11:49:56 PM

Ferris

Rez, Big Bass Fishing, Soul Calibur II, House of the Dead 2 (with light gun peripheral).

Also Crazy Taxi was way better on Dreamcast [IDST].

madhair60

Best Crazy Taxi is Steam version with The Offspring and Bad Religion hacked back into it. Yes, I voluntarily added The Offspring to something and it improved the experience.

YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH

Blinder Data

Actually the first Super Monkey Ball was amazing. So so amazing. I don't think it features enough in people's all-time multiplayer games. IMO one of the best GameCube games.

The party games were fantastic. Monkey Target could have been a game in its own right.

Nintendo still better obvs. I mean one of SEGA's best games was a launch vehicle for their old rival! So embarrassing *smdh*

Bhazor

Sega baffle me. They have some fantastic games licenses and refuse to do anything with them. I mean look at Sonic All Stars Racing: Transformed (which is better than Mario Kart btw) where of all their genesis era classics they could of had as playable characters, they have Football Manager Man and fucking TF2.

Sonic Team are absolute shit.

There so dumb, pretty much released the best Sonic Game ever, tons of good will and they squander it with DRM and blaming the creators for delays. If I were SEGA I would try to replicate Manias success and do reboots in a similar style with there other properties like Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, Revenge Of Shonbi and Echo The Dolphin. Rather than try and fir  2d classics into a 3d world.