Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 07:50:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mektoub, My Love (new film by Blue is the Warmest Colour guy)

Started by hewantstolurkatad, September 08, 2017, 04:50:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hewantstolurkatad

Premiered there yesterday. Initial reception seems mostly negative but so much of it is centered around complaints about its male gaze and seem to be carrying a lot baggage from the Blue... backlash. I was pretty strongly of the belief that people were making fairly knee jerk responses to elements of that film rather than taking the whole thing in so I'm taking all that with a grain of couscous at the moment, still pretty pumped for this.
It does sound a bit like it suffers from (1) a shitty narrative, and (2) a weak central figure; the combo makes me a bit concerned it may be a post-Tree of Life Malick type deal of the director slipping too far into his id.

Anyways, I've been a bit baffled at the total lack of attention this got during production. There seemed to be a reluctance to credit Kechiche with anything after his directing practices were brought to the forefront even though such an autocratic process surely gives him the lion's share of responsibility for that end product.

Anyone excited about this? Was gonna make a thread about festival season in general but inevitably some of those films are gonna warrant full threads of their own so that seems a bad idea.