Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:42:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sleater-Kinney have ruined (rock) music for me

Started by Barry Admin, September 10, 2017, 09:52:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

They seem to be pretty much all I ever listen to now, for ages.

Corin Tucker is absolutely unmatchable as a vocalist. Her voice has become so rich and versatile over the years, Gimme Love just pins me to the fucking wall. She can still do that amazing sort of tremolo-heavy goat whinnying, but she can also just project a really clear, powerful blast of vocal power that you could fucking weaponise and destroy buildings with.

Then Carrie Brownstein comes in with that kind of laid back slacker vocal style, and it's just unbeatable. The interplay between Tucker and Brownstein - with the partial chord shapes that make sense when combined together, in a kind of Thin Lizzy way - is just sublime.

I need to dig out my original copy of The Woods. It's one of the single greatest hard rock records of all time, but it is so loaded with compression that it really suffers unless you listen to a lossless copy.

"Let's Call It Love" into "Night Light" - absolutely stunning, music never captured sweaty, dirty sex as accurately and amazingly as it did here.

The driving, pounding rhythm of Janet Weiss, beating the absolute fucking shit out of the drums.

Sleater-Kinney are gods.

Agreed. 'Steep Air' in particular from The Woods is magnificent.

smudge1971

Not once have I got through this performance without piping me eyeballs. That series of gentle notes at 3:12 are enough but the storming ending just slays me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYAitpi6Dhg

Mark Steels Stockbroker

I'm a completist but to be honest I don't really care for anything after the 5th album. Call The Doctor is the greatest riot grrl album.

Repeater

sevendaughters

Their new song is absolute shite, they are now The Carrie Brownstein From Portlandia Experience Band

Peerless in their original run though.

sevendaughters

Quote from: sevendaughters on May 30, 2019, 11:25:03 AM
Their new song is absolute shite, they are now The Carrie Brownstein From Portlandia Experience Band

Peerless in their original run though.

ruined rock for Janet Weiss too by the looks of things

sevendaughters

0 for 3 on the teasers for the new one. Brownstein furiously reframing her memoir not getting picked up by Hulu as the creative impetus for going back to SK. Crediting fashion designers as creative directors. Absolute fucking 'mare by the girls here.

Famous Mortimer

They're playing down the road from me in a bit, so I shall go and see them and just pop to the loo when they do their new stuff.

Puce Moment

Oh dear - just so many cons, that I feel bad listing them so I won't, but Janet Weiss is probably my favourite drummer of any band. It's hard to imagine wanting to see them live without her.

It's what I call 'The Kim Deal Problem'

sevendaughters

I heard the title track. It's completely counter-intuitive to what the platonic ideal of an SK song should be (Carrie sings, there's hardly any guitar, the song isn't about organic interplay) but it is the best of the 4 heard so far. It 'rocks out' for a token 45 seconds at the end and feels, like a lot of the others, like bits of songs screwed together in the studio.

sevendaughters

the album isn't very good. there are a couple of decent tunes that sound like their old songs, but I don't think they can carry this kind of leap off. Carrie has completely taken over.