Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:23:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Harry Dean Stanton dead at 91

Started by Monsieur Verdoux, September 15, 2017, 11:57:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

non capisco

Aw man. One of the co-stars of my all time favourite film, the one that isn't in my avatar. Not many people got a code to live by any more.

RIP, HDS, you glorious motherfucker.

zomgmouse

He seemed immortal. Popping up in all sorts of films for such a long time. It was always a pleasure seeing his name in the opening credits. At the beginning it was just "Dean Stanton", then he started being "Harry Dean Stanton" but either way he delivered. He was a really understated actor and always so full of soul. RIP great man.

Squink

Yes, a beautiful man. There was a world of emotion in his eyes. Going to get high and watch Repo Man in a minute.

Blumf

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/sep/15/harry-dean-stanton-actor-dies-paris-texas-alien-repo-man

Fuck!

All that Lynch stuff, Paris Texas, Repo Man...

Was there anything he was bad in? Every little part he played, brilliant, and so much.

newbridge

zomgmouse

Strongly urge everyone to see the latest and last film he made, Lucky. Almost the most fitting send-off he could have. Utterly lovely and wistful and melancholy.

mothman

Ah, shit. That's sad. Also, a great singer too.

Howj Begg

Damn RIP. He made every film better.

Glebe

Sad news indeed, a darn fine actor.

Ambient Sheep

I haven't thought about it in far too many years, but Paris, Texas is one of my favourite-ever films.  Probably seen it more than any other, with the possible exceptions of Dark Star and CE3K.

BBC article including a tweet from David Lynch here.

Shocked to read in that Graun article that he'd never even been nominated for any acting award -- WTF?!

RIP you wonderful man.

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on September 16, 2017, 05:32:30 AM
Shocked to read in that Graun article that he'd never even been nominated for any acting award -- WTF?!

Holy shit! I'd never clocked that! That's absolutely fucking criminal.

Bazooka

It was only the other day I was thinking how old he was looking,sad.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on September 16, 2017, 05:43:06 AM
Holy shit! I'd never clocked that! That's absolutely fucking criminal.

Yup.  You'd think if nothing else he'd've had a slew of Best Supporting Actor nominations, wouldn't you?

Paaaaul

I'm sure he didn't give a shit about all that nonsense.

hewantstolurkatad

Can't imagine he gave a shite, looking through his career you'd nearly swear he deliberately chose roles just about too small to be considered for any kind of supporting actor role.
The only real openings I can see are Paris Texas, Big Love (which I've never seen, but he apparently done 37 episodes) and Getting On; I know nothing about the awards landscape of 1985 but the latter two would be pretty worthless TV awards where star power is the key value to being nominated.

Usually, at least when he was younger, was a pretty good signifier a film wouldn't be total shit. Cool guy.
Managed to somehow start off looking vaguely old and continued to look older and older; not too often that someone dies at 91 and I think "Jesus, he looked way older than that!"

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

" Repo Man", " Paris , Texas" and " The Care Bears Movie" rank among mine favourite films , so this is sad news indeed. 91 is a good innings, though, considering he was smoking until the end, and liked a drink or two.

His presence meant you were going to enjoy whatever you were watching, be it any of those films I've mentioned ( damn, he was brilliant in " Repo Man". Can you imagine anyone else in that role?), a guest spot on "Two And A Half Men", or appearing on Jonathon Ross's chat show, looking a little worse for wear, and bewilderedly exclaiming " what the fuck is * that*?" at Rowland Rivron stuck in a trapdoor.

One of the world's coolest Eric Sykes lookalikes (or Dot Cotton off "Eastenders" towards the end).Hope I'm not coming off as facetious here, I genuinely did enjoy watching him in whatever he appeared in, and the likes of the aforementioned " Paris, Texas" show what a shit- hot actor he was.

RIP HDS.

Dannyhood91

One of those men I thought would never die. It's upset me more than I expected.

phes

Watched top of the pops 2 yesterday and thought this (1984) is probably my favourite ever year for music. HDS was in both Paris, Texas and Repo Man in 1984

Feckin ace actor, feckin ace year

NoSleep

No mention yet of one of my all-time favourite films, Wise Blood (directed by John Huston) in which he plays a street preacher who pretends to have blinded himself for Jesus.

His presence was usually a sign that a film was worth watching (such was the quality of the people who wanted him in their films).

mothman

"Look at those assholes, ordinary fucking people. I hate 'em."

Twit 2

My Top 10 Stants:

Repo Man
Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
Bridesmaids
Le Voyage dans le Lune
Paris, Texas
Goodfellas
I Now Prounouce You Chuck & Larry
The Straight Story
Pather Panchali
Kes
Pork Chop Hill
Une Femme Douce
Madagascar 2

Brundle-Fly

He never turned in a bad performance. R.I.P.

I gather his death means the actors who played the victims in Alien (1979) are now dying in chronological order. Tom Skerritt must be shitting... etc

Serge

One of my favourite HDS moments is during his narration of the audiobook of 'Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas', when he pronounces 'helicopter' as 'heelacopter'. And I've used that pronunciation ever since.

Sebastian Cobb

This makes me immensely sad, and is not the birthday present I wanted tbh.

I'm going to get drunk, high and watch Paris, Texas I reckon.

VelourSpirit

Wish there were cinemas nearby showing Lucky. I'd like to see Paris, Texas in a cinema too one day. He had such an amazing presence.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: TwinPeaks on September 16, 2017, 02:45:56 PM
Wish there were cinemas nearby showing Lucky. I'd like to see Paris, Texas in a cinema too one day. He had such an amazing presence.

I'd also like to see Paris, Texas in a proper cinema (possibly on actual film). It's one of the few films I've bothered to buy on bluray and it does look lovely on that.

Gregory Torso

Saw this quote from him on that Reddit that the kids have but it's  pretty great:

"I'm 87 years old...I only eat so I can smoke and stay alive.. The only fear I have is how long consciousness is gonna hang on after my body goes. I just hope there's nothing. Like there was before I was born. I'm not really into religion, they're all macrocosms of the ego. When man began to think he was a separate person with a separate soul, it created a violent situation.

The void, the concept of nothingness, is terrifying to most people on the planet. And I get anxiety attacks myself. I know the fear of that void. You have to learn to die before you die. You give up, surrender to the void, to nothingness."

What a dude.