Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:10:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Harry Dean Stanton dead at 91

Started by Monsieur Verdoux, September 15, 2017, 11:57:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Van Dammage

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Van Dammage on September 16, 2017, 06:45:42 PM

This scene. Perfection.

It really is; I've got the Ry Cooder score on vinyl and that's amazing as well. I have to stop what I'm doing when that track plays.

"And for the first time, he wished he were far away. Lost in a deep, vast country where nobody knew him. Somewhere without language, or streets"

The whole thing is like a live-action Edward Hopper.

NoSleep

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 16, 2017, 07:20:20 PM
It really is; I've got the Ry Cooder score on vinyl and that's amazing as well. I have to stop what I'm doing when that track plays.

Hope you've heard the original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB7C7BgxEWw

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on September 16, 2017, 05:32:30 AM
I haven't thought about it in far too many years, but Paris, Texas is one of my favourite-ever films.  Probably seen it more than any other, with the possible exceptions of Dark Star and CE3K.

BBC article including a tweet from David Lynch here.

Shocked to read in that Graun article that he'd never even been nominated for any acting award -- WTF?!

RIP you wonderful man.

He was hardly known for his role in Godfather II - when I watched that for the first time recently I saw a guy who looked like Stanton and when I looked it up, it was him. But he was hardly in the film.

Every other appearance was brilliant. INLAND EMPIRE I thought would be his Swansong, but was glad to see him appear in a few more things. A great loss.

BlodwynPig

Also his tiny role in Lawnmower Man Redux (aka The Straight Story)...still added some extra poignancy (and he looked about 91 in that movie).

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: BlodwynPig on September 16, 2017, 07:57:58 PM
He was hardly known for his role in Godfather II - when I watched that for the first time recently I saw a guy who looked like Stanton and when I looked it up, it was him. But he was hardly in the film.

Yeah, very odd that loads of agencies are leading with that as his big film.  Despite the number of times I've seen it, I still forget that he's in it, his role is that small.

billtheburger

Quote from: non capisco on September 16, 2017, 12:13:11 AM
Aw man. One of the co-stars of my all time favourite film, the one that isn't in my avatar. Not many people got a code to live by any more.

RIP, HDS, you glorious motherfucker.
I often state Repo Man as my favourite film.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: billtheburger on September 16, 2017, 08:20:52 PM
I often state Repo Man as my favourite film.

I'll have to watch it. I keep thinking its Lawnmower Man 1

mothman

No (major?) awards at all? That's just criminal.

NoSleep

It's essential. No major (fake) awards for being (actually) great. No fake awards is an achievement. I bet the Emmys and the Oscars cowered in his presence.

NoSleep

Truth is, he did what he did. And we all liked it, every time.

Dr Rock

Everyone's covered his great roles, I love Repo Man, and Paris Texas (and Wise Blood - none of which I must've seen for 20-odd years, because great films like that are never on the telly any more), and sometimes he'd pop up in a film when you weren't expecting it - he's in Cool Hand Luke and Kelly's Heroes isn't he? I'll just check... yup, tiny roles.

Says he's in Red Dawn too - no idea where.

Sad to see him go - he managed to touch people's hearts somehow didn't he?

zomgmouse

Has anyone mentioned Escape from New York? Stellar turn there.

He also recently popped up when I saw Sally Potter's The Man Who Cried, playing a Jewish opera impresario. Such compassion in his demeanour there. I was about to say that that characterises all his roles but then I remembered that all of his roles are different and he's played some mean bastards. A phenomenal actor.

Ambient Sheep

I must confess, I've never "got" Repo Man.  Just leaves me cold.  I realise this means there's something wrong with me.

mothman

I browsed his filmography last night. A quite incredible body of work.

buzby

I remember seeing Paris, Texas and Repo Man as a kid and being mesmerised by him, probably helped by him being the spitting image of my dad (especially with Travis's pencil moustache, and he had the same brilliantined-back hair and 50's curl at the front of his hair too) That  'I knew these people' scene in Paris, Texas is one of the greatest scenes in cinema. There's a great contemprotaty interview with him from the making of documentary on the DVD.

Kelly's Heroes was one of my dad's favoutire films, and after seeing him in Paris, Texas I realised he was also in that too (and puts in a typically understated performance amongst the more cartoonish characters). One of the other great supporting roles where he steals the film is as Molly Ringwald's heartbroken single parent father

It's sad to know I've lost my 'film dad' now too.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: buzby on September 17, 2017, 10:23:37 PMThere's a great contemprotaty interview with him from the making of documentary on the DVD.

That's great stuff, thank you very much.

Fascinating and surprising to learn what he thought of the ending.

It's tough about Dads, isn't it?  Mine went ten years ago, and I've recently discovered that there's an interviewer on American sports TV who looks and sounds just like him, mannerisms and everything, except with an American accent.  It's the weirdest thing.

Sorry that you've lost both your dads now.

Speaking of what he thought of the endings of films, there's that podcast (I don't remember which one, but it had Paul F. Tompkins on it) where he was asked a really long question about the ending of Pretty in Pink, and what he thought about the eternal question as to whether Molly Ringwald should have ended up with Blane or Duckie, to which he responded: "I don't give a fuck."

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on September 18, 2017, 12:09:59 PM
It's tough about Dads, isn't it?

Dustin Hoffman in I Heart fucking Huckabees.  That's my dad right there.  Just American instead of Welsh.

Cheesewogg

When I was eleven I became an HDS fan because of his role as "Chauncey" a Jim Henson like movie monster maker in, well, 1988's 'Jim Henson's Monster Maker' and the role of cowboy angel "Gideon" in 1985's 'One Magic Christmas'. He is cracking in both of them.

BlodwynPig

Ambi, did you remove your comment about Repo Man?

I watched it the other day and have to say that I probably would have enjoyed it more as a teenager. Decent but nothing more.

hewantstolurkatad

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on September 18, 2017, 01:54:56 PM
Speaking of what he thought of the endings of films, there's that podcast (I don't remember which one, but it had Paul F. Tompkins on it) where he was asked a really long question about the ending of Pretty in Pink, and what he thought about the eternal question as to whether Molly Ringwald should have ended up with Blane or Duckie, to which he responded: "I don't give a fuck."

The ellipsis makes me wonder if it wasn't so blunt though

I'd say spoilers but surely knowing she doesn't end up with Cryer would make the film more watchable?

Paaaaul

The podcast was Doug Loves Movies.
Doug got PFT on again for the recent show to share memories about HDS. Out of context, it would be awful if I quoted PFT saying that HDS will "burn in hell".

buzby

Quote from: hewantstolurkatad on September 20, 2017, 11:31:33 AM
The ellipsis makes me wonder if it wasn't so blunt though
It's at 16:45 into this episode:
https://art19.com/shows/dlm/episodes/83551814-0565-445a-accb-74e4c27478a1
Delivered in perfect deadpan, I'd say.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: BlodwynPig on September 19, 2017, 10:46:49 PM
Ambi, did you remove your comment about Repo Man?

Nope, it's still there as far as I can see.
http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,62458.msg3248476.html#msg3248476

Quote from: BlodwynPig on September 19, 2017, 10:46:49 PMI watched it the other day and have to say that I probably would have enjoyed it more as a teenager. Decent but nothing more.

Yeah, I think part of the problem was that I didn't see it until the late 90s / early 2000s.  In the meantime I'd heard so much about how brilliant it was, even defining its director as 'Alex "Repo Man" Cox', that my expectations may have been too high.  Plus, as you say, it may have appealed to me rather more as a much younger person.

holyzombiejesus

I saw HDS support Lee Hazlewood back in the day. It was brilliant, obviously.

Sebastian Cobb

I can't find the thread I created at the time, but his last film, Lucky is showing in UK cinemas at the moment. It really is a perfect send off.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

He died a year ago? I could have sworn it was just a few months back.

bgmnts

How could one man be in Alien, Escape from New York and Pretty in Pink?