Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:12:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Harry Dean Stanton dead at 91

Started by Monsieur Verdoux, September 15, 2017, 11:57:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

studpuppet

Quote from: Serge on September 16, 2017, 12:00:55 PM
One of my favourite HDS moments is during his narration of the audiobook of 'Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas', when he pronounces 'helicopter' as 'heelacopter'. And I've used that pronunciation ever since.

It's one of the best audiobooks ever - casting perfect all the way through:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6m2K9ITgpg

kalowski

Quote from: Twit 2 on September 16, 2017, 10:24:51 AM
My Top 10 Stants:

Repo Man
Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
Bridesmaids
Le Voyage dans le Lune
Paris, Texas
Goodfellas
I Now Prounouce You Chuck & Larry
The Straight Story
Pather Panchali
Kes
Pork Chop Hill
Une Femme Douce
Madagascar 2
I just came here to say "Goodfellas?"
Then I read the rest of the list.

Nice.

buzby

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 13, 2018, 10:09:28 AM
I can't find the thread I created at the time, but his last film, Lucky is showing in UK cinemas at the moment. It really is a perfect send off.
I went to see it tonight, with some trepidation due to my previously-mentioned relationship with him as my 'film dad'.

It's a lovely, thoughtful little film. It looks great, with beautifully shot vistas of the Arizona desert and artful use of light and shade. It's obviously influenced by Robby Muller's cinematography on Paris, Texas, and it would be easy to see the film as revisiting Travis 30-odd years down the line, but there's far more of Harry in Lucky than probably any other part he's played. The film has got it's own story to tell though, which is a treatise on what it's like to grow old, reflect on your life and face your own mortality.

There's an excellent supporting cast (including a touching reunion with one of HDS's crewmates from the Nostromo) I did end up full on blubbing at one point in the film, though that might be due to my particular relationship with HDS. This was only heightened by the acutely well-observed minutiae of Lucky's daily routine, which was almost exactly the same as my dad's in his later years after my mum had died. It was very painful to watch at times for me.

Regardless of how it affected me, I'd heartily recommend that you catch this if possible, especially if you are a fan of HDS. As Mr. Cobb says, it's a fitting sendoff for the man.

jobotic

Going to see Lucky tonight. I'm going to cry aren't I?

Sin Agog

Don't worry, the tortoise is still alive and kicking.

By the way, fantastic quote:

Quote from: Gregory Torso on September 16, 2017, 03:24:59 PM
Saw this quote from him on that Reddit that the kids have but it's  pretty great:

"I'm 87 years old...I only eat so I can smoke and stay alive.. The only fear I have is how long consciousness is gonna hang on after my body goes. I just hope there's nothing. Like there was before I was born. I'm not really into religion, they're all macrocosms of the ego. When man began to think he was a separate person with a separate soul, it created a violent situation.

The void, the concept of nothingness, is terrifying to most people on the planet. And I get anxiety attacks myself. I know the fear of that void. You have to learn to die before you die. You give up, surrender to the void, to nothingness."

What a dude.

the science eel

Quote from: jobotic on January 22, 2019, 04:10:30 PM
Going to see Lucky tonight. I'm going to cry aren't I?

I certainly did. Full-on blubbing session at one point.

jobotic

Well that was brilliant. Never thought a man lighting a fag would make me blub but it did.

Mister Six

Quote from: Sin Agog on January 22, 2019, 04:13:59 PM
Don't worry, the tortoise is still alive and kicking. the

By the way, fantastic quote:

That's from an Esquire article - and it misses off the best bit, following immediately on from the bit you quoted:

QuoteAnybody else you've interviewed bring these things up?

Hang on, I gotta take this call. "Hey, brother. That's great, man. Yeah, I'm being interviewed by this Esquire guy. We're talking about nothing. I've got him well-steeped in nothing right now. He's stopped asking questions."