Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:32:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ugly railway stations

Started by Gurke and Hare, September 18, 2017, 08:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fr.Bigley

Also, the new south entrance also looks like those robot/alien things at the beginning of The Fifth Element.

Gulftastic

They are currently adding a platform zero. They might have finished it by now.

The Culture Bunker

My brother and his family live in Leeds, so I've done a fair bit of jaunting between there and Piccadilly. However, recently I've taken to taking the route via Bradford as it's about a third of the cost and only 20 minutes longer. And for such a fairly large city, Bradford does have two utterly boring train stations. 

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on October 12, 2020, 09:06:26 PM
My brother and his family live in Leeds, so I've done a fair bit of jaunting between there and Piccadilly. However, recently I've taken to taking the route via Bradford as it's about a third of the cost and only 20 minutes longer. And for such a fairly large city, Bradford does have two utterly boring train stations.

I got offered for a fight in that station at 10am on a Monday morning by a woman in her 50's dressed respectably but absolutely smashed out of her head. Needless to say I wont go back in a rush.

Fr.Bigley

petril

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on October 12, 2020, 01:30:04 PM
The Hag Fold one reminded me a little of the slightly sinister looking entrance to Ardwick station, just a few hundred yards or so out of Piccadilly. Perhaps one of the most pointless stations featured here too:

I don't care what evidence comes up, that picture was taken in 1991

phes

One of the things I liked most about Leeds before the South entrance is how all platforms either directly or via the bridge funnelled towards the same departure boards and gates. If you were meeting people to depart or waiting for them to arrive you could make informal arrangements and half the fun was looking for them in the crowds as they poured by

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: phes on October 12, 2020, 09:15:02 PM
One of the things I liked most about Leeds before the South entrance is how all platforms either directly or via the bridge funnelled towards the same departure boards and gates. If you were meeting people to depart or waiting for them to arrive you could make informal arrangements and half the fun was looking for them in the crowds as they poured by

Yeah I totally get what you mean there. It is a bit more of a warren now.

sevendaughters

What do we think about New Street now? Inside is probably one of the better ones to get stuck at nowadays. It still honks at platform level but generally am glad to change there rather than Smethwick.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on October 12, 2020, 01:30:04 PM
The Hag Fold one reminded me a little of the slightly sinister looking entrance to Ardwick station, just a few hundred yards or so out of Piccadilly. Perhaps one of the most pointless stations featured here too:

That picture reminds me of - but sadly isn't - the street in Manchester where street view briefly showed a man getting a hand job in the street. You can certainly imagine it happening there.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on October 13, 2020, 09:48:03 AM
That picture reminds me of - but sadly isn't - the street in Manchester where street view briefly showed a man getting a hand job in the street. You can certainly imagine it happening there.

I presume where that shot is taken is where Mark E Smith refers to in 'Wings'

QuoteEnded up under Ardwick Bridge.
With some veterans from the U.S. Civil War.
They were under Irish patronage.
We shot dead a stupid sergeant,
but I got hit in the crossfire

Presume this means he was pissed.

Glebe

Quote from: buzby on October 12, 2020, 02:44:35 PMManchester Piccadilly

Ah right, soz. Just immediately thought 'Piccadilly Circus'.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: sevendaughters on October 13, 2020, 11:21:09 AM

I suspect it's referring to an incident in 1867, which took place on nearby Hyde Road (now also the A57):

"On 18 September 1867 it was the scene of an attack upon a prison van carrying two Fenian prisoners to the former Belle Vue gaol (jail). One police officer was shot dead. Three Irishmen involved in the affray were caught, tried and executed. The men are referred to by their supporters as the "Manchester Martyrs"."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ardwick

Used to live right by Ardwick Station.

Now there's three brewery taps along the railway arches.

Anyway, this site does the station some justice: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~owend/interests/rail/stnpages/ardwick.html

Quote from: sevendaughters on October 13, 2020, 09:31:44 AM
What do we think about New Street now? Inside is probably one of the better ones to get stuck at nowadays. It still honks at platform level but generally am glad to change there rather than Smethwick.

Smethwick Galton Bridge's waiting rooms are hilariously shite.

Not done any truly grim West Mids./Black Country stations in a while.

buzby

Quote from: sevendaughters on October 13, 2020, 11:21:09 AM

The Ardwick Bridge referred to in Wings is the railway bridge about 250m south of Ardwick station that carries the Manchester-Crewe main line over Hyde Road (now the A57), where the Manchester Martyrs incident posted by TCB took place. It was referred to by locals after the incident as the Fenian Arch: