Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:07:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Beautiful Railway Stations

Started by Twed, September 18, 2017, 09:40:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twed

Gulftastic

Huddersfield's is a marvellous testament to Victorian money. And the square in leads onto is surrounded by similar types of buildings, including the George Hotel, where the sport of Rugby League was born in 1895.

Zetetic

Templecombe has a sundial which embodies the mysteries of time, nature, and the British Rail Timetable.

(I don't think you can get to it, and the original quite nice building, and the slightly less nice addition some decades later, any more as they've shut the other platform. Now you're stuck with a glorified bus shelter.)

Gulftastic

And I love the footbridge at Dewsbury. It has a gentle camber, and for no reason whatsoever, a central divide. One of the 'lanes' is open at one end, but not the other.

Cracking station pub, too.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Hebden Bridge

Settle

Darlington (yep! really well preserved and gives you that golden age of steam feeling)

shiftwork2

Norwich

And, while it might not be to everyone's taste, always had a soft spot for Newcastle Central:

in part because of the Centurion bar, the old first class waiting room:

thraxx

Love Copenhagen station and wish I could get a clock like that.

Sebastian Cobb

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Hull improved a lot when they got rid of this:

And went back to this, refurbished the roofing and added some glass:

mobias

Aberdour station in Fife is frequently in the press for its beauty. It even has a greenhouse built onto the platform. I've no idea how it manages to keep from getting vandalised.   

Shoulders?-Stomach!

A quite ridiculous pile. Plzen's station building. Unfortunately in dire need of repair and horrendously sketchy out front.

Viero_Berlotti

I've always liked Manchester Oxford Road's modernist timber facade and canopies:

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I like the attempt anyway at Oxford Road, it's a bit different and I like that the platform is mid-level between buildings. Gives it a sense of importance, possibly undeserved. It's a piddly station, the waiting areas are not fit for the volumes it has to process and sadly the structure is getting dilapidated.

buzby

Local bias obviously, but Lime Street's grand North Western hotel frontage and grand wrought iron and glass double trainshed canopy:

A few years ago the 1960s office block and shops that stood in front of it on Lime Street were demolished, exposing it's stone arched frontage for the first time:

The interior was spoiled somewhat in the 1980s when the concourse was remodelled and the local platforms 1-6 were cut short to build a new ticket office and shops. They were originally in the ground floor of the North Western, but BR moved out and left it empty (the hotel had closed in 1933). John Moores University bought it in the mid-90s and converted it into halls of residence.

Dex Sawash

BlodwynPig

nero

Wellington train station is cool.

https://goo.gl/images/wHKt4q

Edit: How do I make the image show in the message? Don't belittle me, I am admittedly simple of mind.

Paul Calf

Chhatrapati Shivaji (Victoria CST) terminus, Mumbai.

The delight wanes somewhat when you step inside and are greeted by an army of touts in what looks like a run-down town planning office in Stevenage in the mid-1970s.

Paul Calf

Quote from: nero on September 19, 2017, 04:21:41 AM
Wellington train station is cool.

https://goo.gl/images/wHKt4q

Edit: How do I make the image show in the message? Don't belittle me, I am admittedly simple of mind.

Like this:

[img]https://goo.gl/images/wHKt4q[/img]

Don't worry: it's not obvious until you know :)

Neville Chamberlain

My local station when I'm back in the UK:

Nice bridge, I think we can all agree.

Zetetic

It's a shame that Yeovil has two train stations of which neither can really claim to be in Yeovil. Pen Mill is a bit closer, mind you, but at the bottom of a slope.

Neville Chamberlain

A couple of weeks ago, during my sojourn at my parents near Yeovil, I had the honour of using Pen Mill for the first time in, oooooh, about 25 years. You're right: it is at the bottom of a slope.

Yeovil used to have a couple of other stations, too: Hendford Halt, which I think is kind of around about where the Westland (or should I say  Leonardo-Finmeccanica) factories are located; and Yeovil Town station, which used to be a bit of a no-man's land after it closed down but is now the vibrant hub of Yeovil's Pizza Hut / Beefeater / Odeon Multiplex scene. And a massive car park. You can still remnants of the railway down there, too.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Viero_Berlotti on September 18, 2017, 10:16:04 PM
I've always liked Manchester Oxford Road's modernist timber facade and canopies:

It's one of Manchester's few post-war grade II listed buildings.

Dr Syntax Head

St Erth in Cornwall has always been a favourite

MoonDust

Some might disagree but I bloody love Stuttgart Hauptbahnhof.

So grand on a massive scale.

Dr Syntax Head

phes

New Mills Central, my home station has a super approach

Very fond of Bognor Regis which has not really changed at all since my earliest memories around 1982 ish

Approach:

Station:

As mentioned Huddersfield is a beautiful station, both inside and out. Great pub too (King's Head?). York is also very beautiful inside, Dewsbury has a very nice little station with pub also but Dewsbury itself appears to be a shithole.

buzby

Quote from: phes on September 19, 2017, 10:34:52 AM
New Mills Central, my home station has a super approach

I know it well (I used to go out with someone who lived just up the hill). A fine old stone station perched on the edge of a very scenic steep-sided valley with the River Goyt beneath:
It was particularly bizarre in the mid-00s when Midland Mainline's Project Rio Manchester-London HST services ran through there:

Serge

An obvious one, but I'm glad that whenever I travel to London, I arrive at St. Pancras:

Cromford Station in Derbyshire:

As used on the cover of oasis' 'Some Might Say' single:

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: buzby on September 18, 2017, 10:54:14 PM
A few years ago the 1960s office block and shops that stood in front of it on Lime Street were demolished, exposing it's stone arched frontage for the first time:

Similarly, the removal of the horrible old building attached to the front of King's Cross:

to allow the old building to be seen in full was a great thing to do.

I like the new extension on the side too - it's wonderfully spacious and light inside, as well as interesting to look at.

St Pancras, obviously.

And again, the internal reworking for HS1 was superbly done - the retention of the steel frame of the train shed, and letting natural light flood in making it a much more inviting place than the slightly dingy wood-panelled place it used to be.

Fenchurch Street is a great building too - London's slightly hidden station, I'd certainly never been there until I started working ten minutes' walk away.