Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:17:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Beautiful Railway Stations

Started by Twed, September 18, 2017, 09:40:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twed

There's something beautiful and wrong about the residential house that is so close to the Felixstowe branch line, around Trimley St. Mary, Suffolk:

Lovely standalone house, regularly disturbed by big thundering bastards from London zooming around a foot from the kitchen sink.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: ToneLa on February 11, 2019, 12:51:45 PM
mirrored this as I was seeing anti-hotlinking nonsense
Seems to be fine on my laptop, but on my phone I got the same thing, sorry. Not sure what I did wrong. Pic too big?

ToneLa

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on February 11, 2019, 04:37:00 PM
Seems to be fine on my laptop, but on my phone I got the same thing, sorry. Not sure what I did wrong. Pic too big?

I think if you've seen the image on his site it caches but I was seeing SEE THE IMAGE AT DOMAIN NAME

He doesn't want his photos used elsewhere basically! Too late..!

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 22, 2017, 11:39:17 AM
These are all just lovely.

To add - Birmingham Moor Street is very nice, fond memories of sitting in the cafe drinking beers. Also the previously mentioned Toronto Union Station is very grand inside (and if you loiter and look at it long enough, the old ladies who work there will come over and tell you facts about it), and Edinburgh Waverly for the view it affords of the castle when leaving Eastbound towards Haymarket. Plus Sheffield station for the fountains outside and the pub on platform 2 (?).

Come to think of it, I can't think of an unpleasant train station (other than the old Birmingham New Street which was like a car park designed by an '80s heroin addict). The UK really has train stations sewn up. Chapeau.

Within the West Midlands, there are plenty of unrewarding stations but for actively unpleasant, I would suggest:

Snow hill

(but do appreciate it has been reopened)

Smethwick Galton Bridge

for its ludicrous waiting areas - under bridges, and with no view

Bescot stadium

Duddeston

Lichfield Trent Valley high level

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Twed on February 11, 2019, 04:29:43 PM
There's something beautiful and wrong about the residential house that is so close to the Felixstowe branch line, around Trimley St. Mary, Suffolk:

Lovely standalone house, regularly disturbed by big thundering bastards from London zooming around a foot from the kitchen sink.

Would never get tired of trying to splat an egg or tomato on windscreen of train as it passed.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteA Hat Like That

I think you meant to post those in the Ugly stations thread...

greencalx

I just know I've found my spiritual home with a site that has threads devoted to both beautiful and ugly railway stations.

I always thought that Bristol Temple Meads was a bit bonkers, being dressed up to look like a castle, but actually compared to some of the others on here it seems rather plain:

It wasn't until I saw an aerial view that I realised that in my head I had the tracks on completely the wrong side of the station!

holyzombiejesus

I used to buy singles on a Bristol based record label called Sarah Records and each of releases 21 to 30 came with a random postcard sized piece of a jigsaw depicting Temple Meads, so I spent most of my late teens with that station stuck on my bedroom wall.

Bazooka

Can probably buy that bastard for £6 though?

ToneLa

South Cheshire has some smart little stations. They seem to all be in competition with eachother for Best Kept Station. Handsome, preserved little buildings, surrounded by bridges and foliage. Cuddington, Mouldsworth, represent! No corrugated steel in sight!

I went to Delamere Forest to drop acid (recommended) and found it charming then. Coming back, lightly buzzing. Silent apart from the deep, deep rustle of innumerable leaves. Nowt there. Waited ages. Liked it as I love trees. Proper just a station running through a forest, it's ace. Dead at the best of times. All stone and green. Even passing through on a commute, it was a highlight of my journey because you pass through a tunnel of green, towering above the carriage. Cannae go wrong by letting mother nature provide the beauty.

Trees, man. Size of some of those bastards!

Bronzy

Kelvindale. Very simple but nice in its own way.

I also like the mazy walkway that leads you to it.

hummingofevil

That reminded me of Denby Dale. Station isn't very interesting but it was quite nice looking up at it from the road underneath the bridge.

Hebden Bridge is lovely and some has some very particular signs. I really like them.

I might mistaken but there is a nice display inside about the Todmordon Curve. I want to say there was stuff about a rail accident but mind is hazy on that one.

EbbyVale

Kazansky Station in Moscow. Went past it to go to the fine but much duller St. Petersburg station. If it's shit inside I don't want to know.

buzby

That's the old stationmaster and level crossing gatekeeper's house, hence the proximity to the track. The station still has it's original 1887 booking office and waiting room

However now it's in a pretty bad way having been closed and abandonded in 1967.

Network Rail proposed demolishing it in 2009, but the local community set up a trust  to lease it in 2011 in the hope it could be restored to be used as a community centre.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: hummingofevil on February 12, 2019, 02:17:55 AM
Hebden Bridge is lovely and some has some very particular signs. I really like them.

I might mistaken but there is a nice display inside about the Todmordon Curve. I want to say there was stuff about a rail accident but mind is hazy on that one.

The underpass in Hebden Bridge station feels quaint as well, there is still the sense of novelty lingering about it.

holyzombiejesus

They're putting lifts in at Hebden Bridge! Should be completed by next month. Still amazes me that we still have stations where there is absolutely no wheelchair access to certain platforms. If you have a wheel chair and try to get on the Leeds bound side at Todmorden, they have to put you in a taxi to Walsden. It pisses me off and I only have to worry about getting the baby's buggy from platform to platform.

HB is a nice station although it always makes me think how much nicer these places used to be. They renovated HB recently and put loads of those metal benches that you can't lie across in the waiting room (subsequently removed thanks to uproar from the locals). The waiting room would be so much nicer with a proper fire although that's obviously never going to happen.

Now the train strikes are called off, I'm going to try and arrange a meet in Hebden Bridge this spring.

Quote from: hummingofevil on February 12, 2019, 02:17:55 AM

Was it stuff about the Summit Tunnel Fire?

I used to like the run of stations on the slow train from Stoke to Manchester. Once you got past Macclesfield, the stations were so pretty and when we used to do charity shops, we'd spend the day getting on and off at the little Cheshire stops.

Has anyone ever stopped at the pub on Dewsbury Station?

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 11, 2019, 07:28:20 PM
I think you meant to post those in the Ugly stations thread...

I realised. There is a note in the other thread.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Is Hebden Bridge the place where they have the social club where the likes of The Fall and Loudon Wainwright the third have played (not on the same bill )? A CAB meet should deffo be held there (only can you hold on 'til the Summer, when I'm next in England? Cheers. )

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on February 12, 2019, 01:22:19 PM
Is Hebden Bridge the place where they have the social club where the likes of The Fall and Loudon Wainwright the third have played (not on the same bill )? A CAB meet should deffo be held there (only can you hold on 'til the Summer, when I'm next in England? Cheers. )
Sounds about right - I saw Julian Cope there years ago.

holyzombiejesus

Yeah, The Trades Club. (They've got a Cold War Steve exhibition on at the moment.) What with The Golden Lion in Todmorden (Wolf Eyes are playing next month!) we get loads of good gigs round here at the moment.

studpuppet

Bradford-on-Avon has a little cutesy station that still looks like it's on one of those railway enthusiast steam lines like the Bluebell, or set-dressed for an episode of 'God's Wonderful Railway':

In fact - it hasn't changed much since it was built:

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: EbbyVale on February 12, 2019, 05:38:59 AM

Kazansky Station in Moscow. Went past it to go to the fine but much duller St. Petersburg station. If it's shit inside I don't want to know.

Yus, I know that station. It's pretty grim inside. Metro stations are yer best bet for lovely, impressive aesthetically pleasing interiors (Not all of them ).

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: ToneLa on February 12, 2019, 01:55:10 AM

Trees, man. Size of some of those bastards!

Jarvis Cocker considers lyrics rewrite for key song on "We Love Life" album.