Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:18:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Morrissey continues.

Started by Thomas, September 18, 2017, 11:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas

Sagging reactionary and tepid pop irrelevance Morrissey has got a new song, 'Spent the Day in Bed', and it's being played by Chris Evans on Radio 2 tomorrow morning. It's from Morrissey's forthcoming album Low in High School.

Gonna listen? Give a shit? Think there's still something there because the last round of B-sides had the occasional sparkle? Or what?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I would still go to see sweating fat mess Morrissey in one of his live sweatings and electronic vegan diatribes if only that I've not yet had the chance.

Last time Morrissey was near Leeds, other sweating fat mess Stewart Lee was doing one of his self-consciously knowing amusement sweatings at Leeds Town Hall.

Thomas

Present-day Morrissey is Stewart Lee's sweating Black Lodge doppelganger.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Lemming

Never been to see Morrissey, but I did get stuck in the Merrion Centre car park for about an hour as my arrival coincided with the end of a concert he was doing at the First Direct Arena and a legion of Morrissey fans blocked the entire car-park by all trying to leave at once. I consider this experience to be equivalent to actually attending the concert.

purlieu

I wouldn't like to think how many years it's been now since Morrissey started putting me off him more and more with every single thing he did and said.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

He is a difficult person to imagine bumping into out and about. Perhaps his aloofness and focus on widescreen issues has something to do with it. I could totally imagine watching ..say...Mark Rylance trying to decide on the most appropriate olive oil to buy and perhaps even offering him some advice about toner cartridges. I couldn't imagine seeing Morrissey having to tie his laces or take a new set of blinds to the counter.

biggytitbo

Morrissey does all that stuff by fax.

jobotic

Could be the second coming of Christ this morning, if it's only being broadcast on the Chris Evans show I'm not interested.

phantom_power

I saw a Smiths tribute band last year and imagine that was much more entertaining that seeing the real thing these days

shiftwork2

The single is very slight.  He's a mad old biscuit these days but I'll always give his stuff a listen.  Been a long time since I wasn't disappointed, You Are The Quarry for me.

Quote from: Thomas on September 18, 2017, 11:59:34 PM
Morrissey's forthcoming album Low in High School.

Ah, what a clever title, appealing to someone who feels a misfit at secondary school.

Think there's still something there because the last round of B-sides had the occasional sparkle?

Isn't the notion of A and B sides a bit redundant.  You only play one side of a CD, last time I bought one-though that was over ten years ago for me, so it may have changed.

momatt

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on September 19, 2017, 09:58:35 AM
Isn't the notion of A and B sides a bit redundant.

The name might be old-fashioned, but you can still get extra tracks on CD singles.  Though CD singles must be well on their way out?

momatt

Quote from: Thomas on September 19, 2017, 12:03:55 AM
Present-day Morrissey is Stewart Lee's sweating Black Lodge doppelganger.

This is fantastic.  Sweating and crumpled doppelganger.

Neomod

Terrible title, poor cover. Bring back Jo Slee.

hedgehog90

Not a fan, but here's the link to the new song for all you Moz-heads: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL_-GwbEP4g

Phil_A

Quote from: hedgehog90 on September 19, 2017, 10:57:27 AM
Not a fan, but here's the link to the new song for all you Moz-heads: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL_-GwbEP4g

First thing to note is he's nicked the electric piano riff from Roxy Music's "Editions Of You".

daf

Quote from: Neomod on September 19, 2017, 10:31:57 AM
Terrible title,

Subconsciously mangled from 'The Low Spark of High-heeled Boys' by Traffic?

purlieu

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on September 19, 2017, 09:58:35 AM
Isn't the notion of A and B sides a bit redundant.  You only play one side of a CD, last time I bought one
It's just terminology though, isn't it? The term 'album' comes from collections of sheet music and, later, 78s packaged in literal albums.

SteveDave

The LP tracklist

01 My Love, I'd Do Anything for You
02 I Wish You Lonely
03 Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up on the Stage
04 Home Is a Question Mark
05 Spent the Day in Bed
06 I Bury the Living
07 In Your Lap
08 The Girl from Tel-Aviv Who Wouldn't Kneel
09 All the Young People Must Fall in Love
10 When You Open Up Your Legs
11 Who Will Protect Us From the Police?
12 Israel

The last two are sure to be great.

PaulTMA

I am delighted the tracklisting reads exactly as it should, far more amusing than the failed attempts of any internet knobbos or Quanticks.

Blinder Data

My friend worked in Waitrose in Altrincham. As well as footballers and soap stars, apparently its customers included Morrissey and Johnny Marr.

Imagine if they bumped into each other! That would be the most awkward accidental supermarket meeting ever.

Israel is meant to be a cover of Siouxsie and the Banshees

non capisco

Quote from: SteveDave on September 19, 2017, 02:26:09 PM
03 Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up on the Stage

Jacky's gonna have a bowl of Shreddies!

shiftwork2

. Negative sentiments removed because of long-standing affection and respect.  Jesus.

JoeyBananaduck

New single sounds like Chocolate Rain.

He's bloody awful now and has been for years and years.

'Bus, boss, rain, train'.

Christ Moz, if you don't want to bother, don't bother.

kngen

I presume the song (and first verse especially) is a reference to this:

He certainly didn't put a shift in on those lyrics - christ's sake.

DukeDeMondo

The lyrics are indeed hair raising, but I don't think it's that terrible of a thing overall. The verses have something of a Kill Uncle vibe about them, and the whole thing's infectious enough, really, if you can get past the truck that's coming out of his mouth.

Anyway I'm looking forward to the album. I quite liked the last one, dreary as it was at times. Relegating Drag The River to the bonus tracks was criminal, though. It's the most affecting thing he's put out in years.

SpiderChrist

Sagging reactionary and tepid pop irrelevance

Have some imaginary karma