Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:38:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Morrissey continues.

Started by Thomas, September 18, 2017, 11:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vodka Margarine

There's not much to be said that hasn't already but I love the ominous phrasing in the title of this thread. Morrissey continues, like an apocalyptic storm or a lingering urinary infection.

JoeyBananaduck

For the ultimate in 'disappearing up his own bumhole without a torch to shine on his lack of self awareness', check out some of the goodies available in his official online store: https://uk.mporium.org/

Neomod

Fucksake

I prefer Kenneth Anger's shop.

Want.

kngen

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on September 20, 2017, 02:18:29 PM
The verses have something of a Kill Uncle vibe about them

Yes, absolutely half-arsed.

purlieu

Fucking hell that page of terrible t-shirts was neverending.

Quote from: Neomod on September 20, 2017, 03:01:01 PM

He's not exactly Crass, is he?

Vodka Margarine

Quote from: purlieu on September 20, 2017, 03:57:11 PM
He's not exactly Crass, is he?

Well, not with a capital 'C' at any rate.

Natnar

So i'm counting 7 physical formats for the album (CD, 4 different coloured vinyls, Cassette and 7 inch boxset) and that's not counting the various t-shirt bundles as well. Is he that desperate to get a Number 1 album that he has to get people to buy the album multiple times?

JoeyBananaduck

Also the version of his 7" single on offer at Crash records costs £6.49. Hahahaha, no mate. A. The song is shit, B. That's absolutely extortionate and C. Eat my willy, you money-grubbing cur.

PaulTMA

I'm not going to be able to unhear the Chocolate Rain connection now.   Can someone do a mashup?

Natnar

There's a limited edition "indie shops" green vinyl of the album coming out as well... http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/morrisseys-new-album-on-green-vinyl/

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: PaulTMA on September 19, 2017, 04:14:47 PM
I am delighted the tracklisting reads exactly as it should, far more amusing than the failed attempts of any internet knobbos or Quanticks.

Far? I wouldn't have flinched to learn one of you lot made it up.

Neomod

Quote from: JoeyBananaduck on September 21, 2017, 11:17:07 AM
Also the version of his 7" single on offer at Crash records costs £6.49.

Is this the going rate for vinyl these days? I was in HMV t'other day and it was all £20 or more an LP.

I was working at Virgin in the early 90's when we basically flogged off the entire vinyl album stock in a massive sale. Pennies it was going for, 999 pennies.

Now it's all fields.

JoeyBananaduck

£20 for a new album is pretty standard, but albums are longer these days and often take up two platters, plus most are usually pressed on 180 gram unlike the wafer thin cack of the 80's. So that's fair enough.

Nearly £7 for a single, however....

purlieu

Plenty of albums around the £30 mark though, which is frankly absurd. The new Saint Etienne album, for example. And I remember Pulp's His'n'Hers was about £35 when I bought it a few years ago.

SteveDave

Quote from: Vodka Margarine on September 20, 2017, 02:46:15 PM
There's not much to be said that hasn't already but I love the ominous phrasing in the title of this thread. Morrissey continues, like an apocalyptic storm or a lingering urinary infection.

It reminds me of Batman Begins. Morrissey Continues.

newbridge

I kind of like the new single actually. The lyrics aren't that bad, aside from the fact that an 80-year-old man is still writing lyrics that would be better coming from a disgruntled 18-year-old.

JohnnyCouncil

Quote from: purlieu on September 21, 2017, 03:29:19 PM
Plenty of albums around the £30 mark though, which is frankly absurd. The new Saint Etienne album, for example. And I remember Pulp's His'n'Hers was about £35 when I bought it a few years ago.

In fairness you get most of The Sisters EP, Live On, Deep Fried in Kelvin and every other rarity from that era with that edition.

In terms of Morrissey, he gets a pass from me because he wrote Life is a Pigsty which is in my top 5-10 pieces of music of all time. Last album was enjoyable and I like the single.

iamcoop

I actually really like the single. Sorry everyone.

He still sticks out like a sore thumb (for better or for worse) on the radio so that's something these days I suppose.

Ferris

Quote from: PaulTMA on September 19, 2017, 04:14:47 PM
I am delighted the tracklisting reads exactly as it should, far more amusing than the failed attempts of any internet knobbos or Quanticks.

See below.

http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=57178.30

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: JoeyBananaduck on September 21, 2017, 02:34:16 PM
£20 for a new album is pretty standard, but albums are longer these days and often take up two platters, plus most are usually pressed on 180 gram unlike the wafer thin cack of the 80's. So that's fair enough.

Nearly £7 for a single, however....

Yeah but 180 gram doesn't have any bearing on quality; you might get more plays out of it and it'll warp less, but neither of those are issues if you have ok carts and look after it.

In the 80's at least they had good mastering engineers, there's not many left now and the revival means that they're often too tied up to do a good job, which means you end up with poorly/unmastered shite cut with digilathes that sounds wank. Had my fingers burned with that a few times, oddly it's usually bigger artists you'd think labels would want to do properly.

The new single's not a stinker. But I wish he wouldn't pronounce "news" like an American. "Nooz".

Has his old enemy the NME been vanquished? The last I saw they had resorted to just giving it away for free.
If he outlives it, that could be a victory of sorts.

kngen

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 24, 2017, 03:51:58 AM
Yeah but 180 gram doesn't have any bearing on quality; you might get more plays out of it and it'll warp less, but neither of those are issues if you have ok carts and look after it.

In the 80's at least they had good mastering engineers, there's not many left now and the revival means that they're often too tied up to do a good job, which means you end up with poorly/unmastered shite cut with digilathes that sounds wank. Had my fingers burned with that a few times, oddly it's usually bigger artists you'd think labels would want to do properly.

An awful lot of them use GZ Pressing in the Czech Republic, which can vary wildly in quality even in a short run of 200 to 300, are automatically mastered most of the time - and digilathes, too, like you say (and whose environmental record is appalling, if you care about that sort of thing). How 'heritage' labels like Back to Black can charge 30-odd quid for 240gm vinyl represses that are done there is just bare-faced robbery.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: kngen on September 25, 2017, 06:37:57 PM
An awful lot of them use GZ Pressing in the Czech Republic, which can vary wildly in quality even in a short run of 200 to 300, are automatically mastered most of the time - and digilathes, too, like you say (and whose environmental record is appalling, if you care about that sort of thing). How 'heritage' labels like Back to Black can charge 30-odd quid for 240gm vinyl represses that are done there is just bare-faced robbery.

Aye, a mate was telling me exactly the same thing, he does a bit of work with a jazz label where their audiences have silly-expensive systems and are critical. Said it's a pain in the arse and can take some effort knowing how to send things through the right channels to avoid them.

From what I can gather 'automatic mastering' can be as basic as taking the files mastered for digital (cd/mp3/whatever) and just applying the RIAA curve.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: iamcoop on September 24, 2017, 02:39:39 AM
I actually really like the single. Sorry everyone.

He still sticks out like a sore thumb (for better or for worse) on the radio so that's something these days I suppose.

Don't worry, I really like it too. But I always liked Kill Uncle as well, tubby contrarian that I am.

purlieu

He's on the radio at the minute and it seems he's been talking up UKIP again.

Viero_Berlotti

Had it on the background, half heard him making what sounded like a joke about UKIP, what did he say?

EDIT:  Here it is http://thequietus.com/articles/23308-morrissey-anne-marie-waters-ukip-support (Fucking hell pissing his legacy up the wall with every utterance).

daf

We hate it when our Moz becomes a massive racist

non capisco

Entirely in keeping with the tack that bellend has taken all his life.