Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:00:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Morrissey continues.

Started by Thomas, September 18, 2017, 11:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neomod

Quote from: daf on November 12, 2018, 12:03:51 PM
Looks weird with a guitar!

(he can't actually play it, can he? Looks all rather nebulous around the fingering)

Looks like he's playing the same chord all the way through. Just hammering on and off. (ooh er).

Are the dancers from the Lana Del Rey school of looking bored/high cos I quite like that look.

Song wise, it's ok. I don't think Chrissie will be calling this the definitive version a la the great Grace J and Private Life.

daf

He just can't stop tinkering, can he!

Re-issue! Re-package! Re-package!
Re-evaluate the songs 
Double-pack with an extra track

Nowhere Man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69uChSq3vsw

Live performance of 'Back On The Chain Gang' on James Corden's Late Night Show (don't worry, that twat's not in the video)

Not bad vocally, but his clapping and the seemingly random outbursts of cheering from the audience are grating.

But never mind all that, holy fuck does he have the least exciting backing band in history. I'm not asking him to reform the Smiths or whatever (although just playing with Marr and/or Rourke again would be nice) but it'd be nice for him to find some more exciting musicians to work with.

daf

Quote from: Nowhere Man on November 14, 2018, 12:56:03 PM
Not bad vocally, but his clapping and the seemingly random outbursts of cheering from the audience are grating.

I can see why they got him keep them occupied with the guitar in the video now.

Put them away Moz, you're not Mick Jagger!

Neomod

But never mind all that, holy fuck does he have the least exciting backing band in history. I'm not asking him to reform the Smiths or whatever (although just playing with Marr and/or Rourke again would be nice) but it'd be nice for him to find some more exciting musicians to work with.

Christ they've been a lumpen bunch seemingly forever. Real meat and potatoes mediocrity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69uChSq3vsw

Live performance of 'Back On The Chain Gang' on James Corden's Late Night Show (don't worry, that twat's not in the video)

Perfectly pleasant, but doesn't it seem slightly beneath Morrissey to do a cover that does so little to alter the original? What's the difference between this and a Pretenders tribute band, other than Morrissey's recognizable voice.

gilbertharding

Saw these on twitter and thought I'd share with the group here:

Quote from: @DukeLathem

Worst Smiths / Morrissey songs:

- It's Awfully Vulgar To Eat A Sausage
- Lorry In A Tesco
- Oh Simon Help Me, There's A Pakistani Near My Car
- Unhappy Erection
- I Murdered A Little Boy
- Whatever Happens, Please Please Please Know That Your Curtains Are Horrid

- Immigration Is Murder
- I Whispered Your Name Into The Loo
- I'll Not Be Sorry About Your Lorry
- I'm A Wretched Little Piss Pig In The Country

- Heaven Knows There's Too Many Women These Days
- Ah! I Can't Believe You've Smooched Me
- Misery Thy Name Is Girlfriend
- Rodney You Plonker, You've Cum In Your Lager
- Don't Make Me Speak Ill Of Oswald (Mosley Song)
- Truly Missus Julie, Islam Is Not A Race

SteveDave

Sweet Jesus a covers album?

https://www.nme.com/news/music/morrissey-new-covers-album-california-son-2417271

01. Morning Starship (Jobriath)
02. Don't Interrupt The Sorrow (Joni Mitchell)
03. Only A Pawn In Their Game (Bob Dylan)
04. Suffer The Little Children (Buffy Sainte Marie)
05. Days Of Decision (Phil Ochs)
06. It's Over (Roy Orbison)
07. Wedding Bell Blues (Laura Nyro)
08. Loneliness Remembers What Happiness Forgets (Dionne Warwick)
09. Lady Willpower (Gary Puckett & the Union Gap)
10. When You Close Your Eyes (Carly Simon)
11. Lenny's Tune (Tim Hardin)
12. Some Say I Got Devil (Melanie)

Neomod

Wedding Bell Blues?? Half of me is fascinated with how he tackles it, half of me is resigned to the fact it will not be interesting.

Stoney End would have suited him better.

daf

Quote from: SteveDave on December 06, 2018, 09:17:11 AM
Morning Starship (Jobriath)

Ha - Jobriath!

Of course there would be a Jobriath on there.

All of those look like his classic 'cocaine bands' (ie - stuff he discovered when he was 14 - when your brain is most receptive) *

- - - -
* Sparks notably missing though - did he have a falling out?

Phil_A

Morbidly curious to hear the Nyro and Melanie covers, but on the whole this just seems like another Moz vanity project. Hard to see what he thinks he could bring to any of these songs, especially with the state his voice is in these days.

RicoMNKN

Quote from: daf on December 06, 2018, 11:16:54 AM
* Sparks notably missing though - did he have a falling out?

Sparks have criticised his comments, and he's not exactly someone to not be petty about such things.
https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/sparks-singer-disillusioned-by-morrissey-comments-36934636.html

That article also reminds me that Sparks are doing a film with Leos Carax, which is something to look forward to.

mojo filters

Far be it for me to prejudge something I haven't heard, but this sounds suspiciously like Moz further polluting his own legacy for no good reason.

I appreciate he has a certain affection for novel and lessor known tunes from his youth, such as the Twinkle cover which was actually quite good.

As I recall from The Severed Alliance, Johnny Marr was not keen on doing any more covers - particularly of that type, which was one of the strains on their relationship prior to the breakup.

However attempting to cover a song as iconic and well known as Dylan's Only A Pawn In Their Game, seems like a recipe for unmitigated disaster.

There are certain classics that just don't benefit from new interpretations, unless the new version is as brilliant and innovative as something like John Coltrane's amazing take on My Favorite Things!

sevendaughters

I can't believe he's tackling one of Gary Puckett's Paedo Trilogy!

chveik

Quote from: sevendaughters on December 06, 2018, 06:31:20 PM
I can't believe he's tackling one of Gary Puckett's Paedo Trilogy!

The sleaziest rocker of all time!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uur01CK7u8Q

Neomod

Looking at H & M's window tonight I can finally put to rest the Morrissey is a racist rumours.

daf

Isn't that Bronhom?

("Well maybe you shouldn't be singing H-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-RRRE")

sevendaughters

sevendaughters

also not hugely familiar with that particular Dylan song but after checking the lyrics I can't imagine that Morrissey has chosen it for exactly nuanced reasons. this will be a total horror show of a record. career suicide.

Custard

He should do an album of Smiths covers

With one by Gene on the end

SteveDave

Quote from: daf on December 06, 2018, 08:50:57 PM
Isn't that Bronhom?

("Well maybe you shouldn't be singing H-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-RRRE")

I thought it was Ed Gamble.

poodlefaker

The idea of him doing Don't Interrupt the Sorrow is particularly worrying. Stephen Street once recalled that Moz played him a tape of this song during the Viva Hate sessions, as an example of the sort of backing he wanted for some lyrics he was working on. The result was Late Night Maudlin Street: a great track, but in those days he was surrounded by a group of highly talented and creative musicians, not the ropy old tut he knocks about with now.

Thomas

I'd only be interested in a covers album if he got a new band and covered songs by Duran Duran and Michael Jackson and Girls Aloud. I'd genuinely love to hear some bright pop classics given the MozWarble treatment.

daf

I don't know what he could do to turn it round at this point - the last lot of nonsense had tipped him into the untouchable dumpster for me.

How many Morrissey solo albums, if any, would you not throw in the skip (or give to charity shops, as per Stewart Lee's recent decision to do so)?

massive bereavement

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on December 10, 2018, 01:25:05 PM
How many Morrissey solo albums, if any, would you not throw in the skip (or give to charity shops, as per Stewart Lee's recent decision to do so)?

I've still got them all on CD up until the one with "Roy's Keen" on it. I'd want to keep the first one and Vauxhall & I.

I'd be the same, though I also like some singles like "My Love Life."

daf

The 3 CD Parlophone A/B sides set covers all of Bona Drag plus more, so I'd bin that, and Kill Uncle - that is absolute cabbage!

Keepsies - Viva Hate / Arsenal / Vauxhall (if I had it - my sister nicked that one & I never got round to replacing it)

kngen

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on December 10, 2018, 01:25:05 PM

I could easily live without all of them apart from Viva Hate - and replace Bengali in Platforms with Hairdresser on Fire on that while I'm at it.

EDIT: And The Last of the Famous International Playboys single. Lucky Lisp might be my favourite of all Morrissey's solo stuff.