Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,485
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 05:47:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Morrissey continues.

Started by Thomas, September 18, 2017, 11:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulTMA

Quote from: Phil_A on December 06, 2018, 11:44:49 AM
Morbidly curious to hear the Nyro and Melanie covers, but on the whole this just seems like another Moz vanity project. Hard to see what he thinks he could bring to any of these songs, especially with the state his voice is in these days.

Eh, really?  Say what you like about his views, material etc.  but surely his voice has been as good as ever since Vauxhall?

sevendaughters

His voice is literally the one thing he has going for him right now. His health, politics, body, band, production, and material have never been in a worse state.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Although he was sent out to get singing lessons during the first Smiths album, he clearly finally decided to take the whole business seriously in the 90s and at least try to be trained properly.

Thomas

You should hear him play piano.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on December 10, 2018, 01:25:05 PM
How many Morrissey solo albums, if any, would you not throw in the skip (or give to charity shops, as per Stewart Lee's recent decision to do so)?

To be honest, I'm more likely to throw away the unread books and unwatched DVDs of Stewart Lee that I own... except that that might be interpreted as approving of Morrissey. So I have to keep all of their works.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Quote from: daf on December 10, 2018, 03:54:53 PM
The 3 CD Parlophone A/B sides set covers all of Bona Drag plus more

The 2010 reissue was actually worthwhile and added some never-released material that should have been released.

Jockice

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on December 10, 2018, 01:25:05 PM
How many Morrissey solo albums, if any, would you not throw in the skip (or give to charity shops, as per Stewart Lee's recent decision to do so)?

If forced I'd keep Viva Hate, Bona Drag, Your Arsenal, Vauxhall And I and Ringleader Of The Tormentors and bin all the others.The rest all have at least one - and in some cases only one - decent track, but you have to be brutal about such things. I haven't even heard the last one. Just couldn't be arsed buying it. I think Moz and me are over at long last.

daf

Quote from: Mark Steels Stockbroker on December 17, 2018, 09:05:35 PM
The 2010 reissue was actually worthwhile and added some never-released material that should have been released.

Cheers!

Just ordered that, plus a replacement for my 'borrowed'  Vauxhall, (I also tracked down an original Malajusted on ebay - which includes two songs cut from the reissue).

So, rather than throwing them in the skip, I'm adding to the pile of shame!

PaulTMA

Not really getting this thinking that you need to symbolically smash your collection up with a hammer while livestreaming it on Facebook etc anyway

Pauline Walnuts

It'd be a lark though, wouldn't it?

Neomod

Looks like GOB got the job designing Morrissey's album cover. "Ended up checking 'albino' on the form."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3yNAg67u_c

Meh..

chveik

Quote from: Neomod on February 27, 2019, 05:36:08 PM
Looks like GOB got the job designing Morrissey's album cover. "Ended up checking 'albino' on the form."

Meh..

fucking hell that's awful. he sounds like a shit Roy Orbison impersonator.

Pauline Walnuts

They've made his skin whiter, and his eyes bluer.

Hmm...

poodlefaker

Quote from: sevendaughters on December 11, 2018, 12:10:30 PM
His voice is literally the one thing he has going for him right now. His health, politics, body, band, production, and material have never been in a worse state.

And now his voice sounds like it's been treated in that Roy Orbison pointlessness.

DrGreggles

Who is Morrissey actually for these days?
Surely fans of The Smiths have all seen the light by now.

ToneLa

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 11, 2019, 02:14:59 PM
Who is Morrissey actually for these days?
Surely fans of The Smiths have all seen the light by now.

Every time I have a wee peek on Morrissey Solo the comments are basically people going "squee! He's still so handsome!" and even, I think, the site admin saying Morrissey is a cunt

So, nothing aboot the music, basically!

As there is nothing about the music, basically.

Ray Travez

What is Morrissey Solo actually for these days?
Surely fans of Morrissey have seen the light by now?

He's got a covers album coming out in May with one song featuring the Green Day singer which is err interesting

Neomod

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/mar/01/morrissey-collaborators-respond-to-his-politics

The guest stars on California Son are all North American, suggesting a difference between perceptions of the former Smiths frontman in the US and UK. Katsis, who is American, sees the critical focus on Morrissey's politics as a British preoccupation.

"I don't think they know enough about it to care about it," he says of Morrissey's US fans. "I don't feel knowledgable enough to comment on British politics, therefore it's probably not as important to me or the international fans as it is to UK fans. This whole thing has had me perplexed. The subjects are very complicated and dividing."

The figures bear out Morrissey's enduring support across the Atlantic. He ended 2018 with arena shows in North and South America, and has announced his first Canadian tour in 20 years for this April. In November 2017, Los Angeles City Council declared 10 November "Morrissey Day".

A certain amount of arse covering there from supposedly progressives who happen to like the Smiths/Morrissey. The subject is not that complicated.

I subscribe to the Scott Aukerman view that you can still listen to the stuff before your hero went full on twat, so that's the Smiths catalogue safe. <weak smile emoji>

Lordofthefiles

Meh..

The original Mark Fowler's looking well!

non capisco

Didn't you used to hate it when a Merrie Melodies or Looney Tunes cartoon came on and it was one of the boring Morrissey ones?

buzby

Quote from: chveik on March 10, 2019, 02:13:54 AM
fucking hell that's awful. he sounds like a shit Roy Orbison impersonator.
Yes, ihe's like a bad karaoke singer, with more than a hint of autotune too. Embarrassing.

Chriddof

Quote from: non capisco on March 11, 2019, 11:42:29 PM
Didn't you used to hate it when a Merrie Melodies or Looney Tunes cartoon came on and it was one of the boring Morrissey ones?

He always seemed to be teamed up with Speedy Gonzales, and they'd always be having a fight with Sylvester The Cat. Who was a journalist in those ones for some reason.

poodlefaker

So these are all songs by US/Canadian artists, and it's called "California Son" as if he's somehow a son of California? Fucksake.

Neomod

Quote from: poodlefaker on March 12, 2019, 12:05:58 PM
So these are all songs by US/Canadian artists, and it's called "California Son" as if he's somehow a son of California? Fucksake.

A play on the Ramones track California Sun as well, maybe?

I'm just waiting to hear the Nyro track to be honest and that will no doubt be ruined by his lumpen band.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Neomod on March 12, 2019, 01:00:05 PM
A play on the Ramones track California Sun as well, maybe?

If you will allow me to be a massive pop pedant for a moment, California Sun was first recorded by R&B singer Joe Jones in 1961. The most famous version is the 1964 top ten hit by The Rivieras, which was the basis for the cover recorded by the Ramones in 1977.

I'm Casey Kasem. Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars.

Neomod

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on March 12, 2019, 01:16:49 PM
If you will allow me to be a massive pop pedant for a moment, California Sun was first recorded by R&B singer Joe Jones in 1961. The most famous version is the 1964 top ten hit by The Rivieras, which was the basis for the cover recorded by the Ramones in 1977.

I'm Casey Kasem. Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars.

Will do.

I mentioned the Ramones cos El Moz is a fan so probably more au fait with their cover.

poodlefaker

He always used to moan that labels tried to get him to record with other artists. "But i don't WANT to work with Radiohead..."

the science eel

Quote from: Neomod on March 12, 2019, 01:00:05 PM
his lumpen band.

That's the problem. Not his voice. I don't detect autotune there at all. When I saw him a few years ago I was bowled over by how strong his pipes are - better than ever, in fact.

No, his band are fucking terrible, sucking the life out of everything. Have you heard them attempt 'This Charming Man'? the guitarist doesn't even bother with the lovely arpeggio - it's all GRAAAR GRRAAAAAR barre chords once the intro's done with.

Custard

Morrissey solo, doing This Charming Man on a hillside. Desolate.