Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:49:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Morrissey continues.

Started by Thomas, September 18, 2017, 11:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

Quote from: jobotic on October 03, 2019, 11:22:03 AM
I keep getting posts on Facebook for fake Smith bands' gigs. Presumably because one played at Ramsgate Music Hall, who I follow.

Bit grim innit? Like going on a demo/punch up following a Tommy Robinson lookalike.

Nah, it's just some indie music fans in their 40s and 50s reliving their youth. I have seen a smiths tribute band a couple of times and it is great fun. The songs are still fucking brilliant, despite Morrissey being a nobber now

jobotic

QuoteI don't think it is his political views at all, his real fans I think forgive him and know that he is highly political and opinionated.

Glebe

I think we should forget Morrissey is a big racist and just enjoy the music.

holyzombiejesus

Not sure if you're serious, but it's tricky to put that aside, escpecially with the solo stuff even if it was before he went full-on For Britain. I got rid of a lot of his later solo stuff about a year ago but I don't think I could even listen to his first few solo singles now without getting that sinking feeling.

imitationleather

Eh, we probably needed to grow out of that bladdy whining anyway.

Glebe

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on October 03, 2019, 01:58:19 PM
Not sure if you're serious, but it's tricky to put that aside, escpecially with the solo stuff even if it was before he went full-on For Britain. I got rid of a lot of his later solo stuff about a year ago but I don't think I could even listen to his first few solo singles now without getting that sinking feeling.

Nah just kidding.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on October 02, 2019, 10:43:46 PM
He wrote 'Bengali In Platforms' when he was still in The Smiths, and made his infamous claim that you had to be black to get on TOTP in 1986, so I think the rot was already setting in before he went solo.

God knows how it's substantiated, but in the Johnny Rogan book I call "The Severe Dalliance" as I'm utterly hilarious, Rogan claims a teenage / early 20s Moz wrote in his diary that Pakistani people don't smell nice

I scoffed at it for years.

Mind, Rogan must've been going through his bins or something. That book is fuckin terrible, about 3/5ths of it are pre-Smiths

MiddleRabbit

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on October 03, 2019, 01:58:19 PM

I don't have any issue with listening to The Smiths or Morrissey, based on the reality that Morrissey's either always been, or has become a total nobhead.  I haven't liked anything he's done since Bona Drag and that was a big step down before he plummet.

Separating the art from the artist, I suppose.  I don't have any issue with that.  Plato said Socrates 'Lost his senses' in the company of young boys and nobody's suggesting we ditch Western philosophy, are they?  Carravagio was a right cunt and nobody moans about his paintings hanging in galleries, do they?  Bowie nobbed Lori Mattix when she was underage and he's a national treasure.

If something's very good, middle class, or old, it seems to get a pass from the arbiters. 

TL:DR - I've got a Gary Glitter album and I like it.

Natnar

Quote from: MiddleRabbit on October 03, 2019, 08:42:56 PM
I've got a Gary Glitter album and I like it.
Controversial unheard Katy Perry demo!!1

non capisco

Quote from: NJ Uncut on October 03, 2019, 06:45:30 PM
God knows how it's substantiated, but in the Johnny Rogan book I call "The Severe Dalliance" as I'm utterly hilarious, Rogan claims a teenage / early 20s Moz wrote in his diary that Pakistani people don't smell nice

I scoffed at it for years.

Mind, Rogan must've been going through his bins or something. That book is fuckin terrible, about 3/5ths of it are pre-Smiths

Someone, might even have been someone on here, told me that book contained an anecdote where Morrissey gets annoyed at Mike Joyce for always wanting to watch the  'He-Man and The Masters Of The Universe' cartoon on the tour bus. I'm not much of a Smiths fan and I honestly read the whole thing just for that anecdote..which sadly never came. I've said it before and I'll say it again, what an oddly specific lie to tell.

You can't separate the art from the artist, I've never really understood the concept of that. Artists that produce their own material aren't usually making things schematically to order, there's usually a level of personal flair and idiosyncrasy involved that arises from who they are as a person. You can enjoy the art anyway without having to get rid of the artist, you just have to learn to coexist with the knotty reality of other people's often contemptible motivations. The art simply cannot exist in a vacuum, you might be able to separate the 'artist' from certain bits of the 'personality' but you can't separate the art from the artist. All the good qualities and bad qualities in Morrissey's music, absolutely all of them, are because of who he is as a person. Especially as he's predominantly a lyricist. So there's no getting away from the idea that it's an expression of different facets of his personality, some more agreeable than others. I wouldn't begrudge anyone still enjoying it for the same reason that I wouldn't begrudge anyone for enjoying a Marquis de Sade novel. These things are not easily separable. You just have to live with the quandary.

massive bereavement

There should be a giant statue of Morrissey in "Kill Uncle" pose on top of the white cliffs of Dover to frighten all forrins away.

Glebe

Quote from: non capisco on October 03, 2019, 10:08:17 PM
Someone, might even have been someone on here, told me that book contained an anecdote where Morrissey gets annoyed at Mike Joyce for always wanting to watch the  'He-Man and The Masters Of The Universe' cartoon on the tour bus. I'm not much of a Smiths fan and I honestly read the whole thing just for that anecdote..which sadly never came. I've said it before and I'll say it again, what an oddly specific lie to tell.

NEXT UP: Morrissey irked by Marr's fondness for Thundercats.

SteveDave

That book is fuckin terrible, about 3/5ths of it are pre-Smiths

I got to the Smiths very late (5 years ago) because the fans of theirs I'd met were all insufferable cunts. Anyway, I tried to read that Johnny Rogan book and gave up quite quickly. The same went for his book about Ray Davies. He is a dry read. Fuck knows if anyone's gotten to the end of that Byrds biography he did that could comfortably kill a large cat if it was dropped onto it.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Glebe on October 04, 2019, 06:44:01 AM
NEXT UP: Morrissey irked by Marr's fondness for Thundercats.
Expresses preference for Transformers: "Megatron was misunderstood, he made many sensible points".

massive bereavement

Quote from: Chriddof on October 04, 2019, 04:18:07 AM

Where is the follow up image of a burnt Morrissey with blackface?

Brundle-Fly

I liked The Smiths/ Morrissey but was never a big enough fan to feel this crushing disappointment a lot of people feel so can quite happily listen to the music now and again without getting in this quandary.  I try not to buy too much into this standing in judgment 'cancel culture' in art because it's so selective and there is such a lot of hypocrisy as other posters point out. Mind you, if Jerry Dammers suddenly started banging on about Britain First I'd be gutted, See? Hypocrisy. I'd also think he'd had a nervous breakdown or something.

I understand why a lot of Morrissey fanatics turn a blind eye to his dodgy views because they're almost like battered partners. "Why don't you leave?". They just can't. This doesn't make it right, but I understand it. Other fanatics, of course, will or have embraced his curdled views and that is what's more depressing than a middleaged die-hard taking all their Morrissey CDs down to Oxfam...sorry they're cancelled, I mean, Sue Ryder.

Glebe

Quote from: massive bereavement on October 04, 2019, 11:57:21 AMWhere is the follow up image of a burnt Morrissey with blackface?

Blackface/English Heart.

ajsmith2

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on October 04, 2019, 11:18:14 AM
Expresses preference for Transformers: "Megatron was misunderstood, he made many sensible points".

I see Morrissey as more of a Shockwave man: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zLdd9mbfw8

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on October 02, 2019, 01:18:13 PM
The Quietus also did this article a few weeks before - https://thequietus.com/articles/26748-morrissey-racism-fans-idiots (I do like the link title)

QuoteThe woman eventually left the gig and took a bow as she did so

Be perfect if she was called Sheila.

DrGreggles

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I still think that the line "All over this town, they pull over in their Citroen vans, not to shake your hand" is a fucking brilliant lyric, and I'll forgive him all his unpleasantness for that.

Johnboy

What he has said or the badge he has worn hasn't changed how I feel about the Smiths or pre 1992 solo stuff. Anything after that I had less and less interest in.

I think Bengali in Platforms is a perfect example of the conundrum - I'm really fond of this buoyant vini Reilly tune/air - I really don't care what he's saying in the lyrics I can see how dodgy they are but I will still listen to the song, and it's probably because it doesn't affect me directly.  If he was saying something nasty about someone who had an intellectual disability that would certainly cause me to not listen

kngen

It really is. Twenty pages on the history of The Pale in Ireland, and about one-and-a-half on the breakup of the band. It's fairly obvious that he got nowhere when trying to interview those closest to either Morrissey or Marr, certainly folk who were around towards the end of the Smiths. It was the textual equivalent of someone putting their finger on a record and winding it around and around, slowly at first, then gradually getting faster and faster until it's just an incomprehensible blur by the end.

Severe Dalliance is a better pun than Sausage Appliance, which was Moz's 'hilarious' dismissal of the book prior to its release.

non capisco

Quote from: kngen on October 05, 2019, 04:37:08 PM
Severe Dalliance is a better pun than Sausage Appliance, which was Moz's 'hilarious' dismissal of the book prior to its release.

Ahahaha, good one, Morrissey. I remember when he kept calling Britney Spears 'Broccoli Spears'. He's basically a racist Colin Hunt.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: kngen on October 05, 2019, 04:37:08 PM

I appreciate it, but "funnier than Morrissey" is kinda weak after, say 1991  :(

Jim_MacLaine

Last Week

He's finally achieved his goal of looking like Mike Mansfield

Cue the ...