Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 01:07:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Morrissey continues.

Started by Thomas, September 18, 2017, 11:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

he looks like a rugger-bugger spokesman for the countryside alliance

sevendaughters

fuckin ell he looks like Derek Acorah

Peter Stringfellow back from the grave but only shags skinheads

SteveDave

If I was the Queen (and I'm not) I would offer him a knighthood to see what he'd do.

dr beat

marquis_de_sad

I think Moz's main problem is that his racism is so boring. If he had some kooky, idiosyncratic position where he slagged off all political parties, his fans would probably be able to forgive him. He's just an artist, etc. The problem is he's just not bright enough to play that game, and so literally sticks a badge on his tit broadcasting his common or garden bigotry to the world.

Ambient Sheep

Two years late but...

Quote from: buzby on December 20, 2017, 09:52:20 PM
Marr does pretty good solo versions of them these days - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB5bSZmuP90

Wow!  Just caught up with this.  Amazing.

But what word is he singing instead of "criminally"?

Although since not a single YT commenter has mentioned it, maybe it's just my ears... but the bassist does seem to look over and smirk as he sings whatever word it is...

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Norton Canes on October 02, 2019, 11:04:50 AM
Get in grave

Fuck me.

I've only just finished catching up with the rest of this thread.  I had no idea he was so far gone.  Didn't know about any of this For Britain stuff until now.  Horrific, truly horrific.

How long before he's covering Pink Floyd's "In the Flesh" unironically?  And as for "Waiting for the Worms"...

"Would, would you like to see, Britannia rule again, my friend?
All you have to do is follow the Moz.
Would, would you like to send our coloured cousins home again, my friend?
All you need to do is follow the Moz..."

I honestly don't think I'll be able to listen to The Smiths ever again, unfair though that is on the rest of them (luckily I was never a fan of his solo stuff, indeed was already losing interest during Strangeways).

I've been able to compartmentalise it up until now, just about managing to semi-ignore his recent ramblings when I occasionally listened to The Smiths, in the same way one tries to ignore clumsily-expressed stuff by an elderly relative but this... this is too much.  Far too fucking much.

As somebody up there said, seems he wasn't just archly playing around with this stuff back in the 80s & 90s, he was actually like it all along.  Hiding in plain sight.

Even that lovely cover of HSIN in my previous post is now dead to me.  Forever tainted.  Sorry, Johnny.

I know this might be just a 2.45am over-reaction but it's honestly how I feel right now.

poodlefaker

Quote from: dr beat on October 15, 2019, 02:56:48 PM
Looks like Gerry Francis
Ha! He's gone from  Don Revie to Gerry Francis in about five years

NJ Uncut

Absorb the anus burn

Quote from: Jim_MacLaine on October 15, 2019, 01:18:26 AM

I thought Billy Connolly was not ready to go back on stage yet...?

Dyl Spinks

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on October 15, 2019, 08:05:47 PM
Two years late but...

Wow!  Just caught up with this.  Amazing.

But what word is he singing instead of "criminally"?

Although since not a single YT commenter has mentioned it, maybe it's just my ears... but the bassist does seem to look over and smirk as he sings whatever word it is...

I think he's just singing "criminal and vulgar".

I know it's his riff and everything, but I'm not too impressed with that Marr version. Lacks balls.

Check out the way Moz, Boz, and Jesse Tobias attacked the song when they first started performing it in 2004 to open the arena shows: https://youtu.be/4Crwp3zfiCI  Magnificent.

gib

Quote from: Absorb the anus burn on October 16, 2019, 01:45:45 PM
I thought Billy Connolly was not ready to go back on stage yet...?

I keep seeing Freddie Starr in there too, it's like a Magic Eye pic, it is.

poodlefaker

I read somewhere years ago that Boz had to use samples of Johnny when doing HSIN live, because he couldn't manage it himself

Neomod

Quote from: Dyl Spinks on October 16, 2019, 01:47:38 PM
I think he's just singing "criminal and vulgar".

I know it's his riff and everything, but I'm not too impressed with that Marr version. Lacks balls.

Check out the way Moz, Boz, and Jesse Tobias attacked the song when they first started performing it in 2004 to open the arena shows: https://youtu.be/4Crwp3zfiCI  Magnificent.

Horrible. Real fucking meat and potatoes stodge. I hate his band. No grace, no class.

poodlefaker

Quote from: gib on October 16, 2019, 01:51:10 PM
I keep seeing Freddie Starr in there too, it's like a Magic Eye pic, it is.
Russ Abbott mate

Blinder Data

Tim Martin's Wetherspoons Brexit arena tour

imitationleather

Quote from: Blinder Data on October 16, 2019, 04:00:14 PM
Tim Martin's Wetherspoons Brexit arena tour

This is what I'm getting from it too.

kngen

Quote from: poodlefaker on October 16, 2019, 03:05:32 PM
I read somewhere years ago that Boz had to use samples of Johnny when doing HSIN live, because he couldn't manage it himself

Could believe that. It's not a particularly hard riff to play itself, but the split tremolo FX loops would probably be a sod to set up, especially to play live and keep in time. (I'm sure I read in his Guitar Player interview he used a MIDI trigger, too, for live shows when they got a bit bigger).

Here's someone that thinks they've got it sussed, but they don't - it's like one of those Top of the Pops LPs where it just sounds off but you can't put your finger on why.

buzby

Quote from: poodlefaker on October 16, 2019, 03:05:32 PM
Quote from: Neomod on October 16, 2019, 03:05:48 PM
Horrible. Real fucking meat and potatoes stodge. I hate his band. No grace, no class.
Is Boz is the feller playing the tremolo riff? If you watch him, he's only hitting the chord a couple times per bar, relying on the feedback to keep it going. The tone is all wrong too, really harsh, like a cheap distortion pedal and together with that hard gated tremolo effect it makes ir sound like a crap nu metal cover version. Marr uses a much more subtle tremolo and plays the chord n time with it, much more like the original recording (where he and the producer manually adjusted the tremolo rate on amps in time with his guitar track and then used a drum machine-triggered noise gate to keep it in tempo)

Using a keyboard player to do the high chiming guitar line when you have got two guitarists onstage  is a cop-out too.

Quote from: SteveDave on October 15, 2019, 02:48:57 PM
If I was the Queen (and I'm not)

Go on!  You are, really!  It's that self-portrait in your avatar that gives it away.

poodlefaker

Quote from: buzby on October 16, 2019, 10:46:59 PM
makes it sound like a crap nu metal cover version.

You should hear the way they were doing "This Charming Man" a few years ago. I think it was supposed to sound like The Strokes, but jesus...

I think it was on this site, but I definitely read a post somewhere about someone seeing Morrissey in a shop, buying an On the Buses DVD.

poodlefaker

Sounds plausible; I can imagine him sitting in his villa in Hollywood watching On The Buses and Please Sir all afternoon before getting stuck into the ironing.

kngen

Quote from: poodlefaker on October 17, 2019, 02:18:43 PM
Sounds plausible; I can imagine him sitting in his villa in Hollywood watching On The Buses and Please Sir all afternoon before getting stuck into the ironing.

He likes the OTB films the best, because they're more racist.

daf

Urgh - put your tit away, Enoch!

PeasOnSticks

Has Moz finally become more offensive than his band?

idunnosomename

Quote from: daf on October 17, 2019, 05:34:41 PM
Urgh - put your tit away, Enoch!
new morrissey single streaming now