Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:02:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Morrissey continues.

Started by Thomas, September 18, 2017, 11:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Surely it's just the usual Mozza dirge mixed with some modern electronic wizardry for which he had no creative input?

Chriddof

Sounds like he's been cribbing notes from recent Sparks albums. Electronic-y bits are actually quite good, but the lyrics are typically lazy, the tune uninspired, and of course he focused on rich people killing animals above everything else that they do. (Not that animals dying isn't obviously bad, but this is Morrissey we're talking about, you know?) And of course the "love is gone" thing is a bit rich considering the man singing it. (Also, it really lets itself down in the final bit when it shifts fully into typical modern day Moz-Rock mode.)

Thomas

Isn't he fucking happy yet? Brexit's happened. What more does the poet-philosopher want?

djtrees

Quote from: king_tubby on January 13, 2020, 08:28:04 PM
My local HMV has Burzum section. I saw that, went wtf, and put all the cds I'd picked up back on the shelves and walked out.
I saw a burzum record in hmv and weakly tried to snap it, then told a hmv person he was a nazi. burzum, not the hmv person, although he may have been.
also morrissey is a cunt

idunnosomename

it's a pretty mainstream label that represses burzum. i guess with record labels they don't need to deal directly with Vikernes, but they know they'll make money off it i guess, but so will he.

http://www.backonblack.com/catalogue.htm

also despite what they say their mastering is apparently pretty shitty

Jim_MacLaine

That Love Is on It's Way Out is boring. T'other one is ok.

Neomod

Just received this from one of my oldest friends[nb]who I introduced to The Smiths at college in 83[/nb] re the new Moz album when I said I wasn't that interested and Moz was a bell-end.

QuoteDon't give up on the Moz Father, he is an artist in the truest sense. Artists are controversial quite by design, if their art form doesn't cause debate or provoke reaction then it simply isn't worth creating. We live in an appalling culture now where anyone who dare disagree with a liberal/Marxist agenda, they are labelled fascist, racist, hate criminals. This very deliberate tactic of demonising detractors of an ideological mantra was used by the Nazis and the Communists to silence opposition. What makes this world so wonderful is the broad range of beliefs, view points, politics and faiths. If we all followed one ideology how dull the world would be. For me, whatever Mozzer may or may not think, I'm profoundly glad he has the balls to remain true to his controversial form, flicking a V at the liberals who hate him just for not believing their viewpoint.

Sigh..

He did add this though.

Quote... But he does need to lose some weight.😆

So I still love im'

Thomas

Quite culturally Marxist and Liberal of your friend to subscribe to societal norms about weight.

Neomod

I genuinely believe he's just regurgitating, word for word something he's read on Morrissey Solo.

Mobius

"I'm profoundly glad he has the balls to remain true to his controversial form, flicking a V at the liberals who hate him just for not believing their viewpoint."

How do people type stuff like that?! HOW ?!

Quote from: Mobius on February 03, 2020, 03:05:40 AM
flicking a V

I'm not sure Morrissey has ever done this. Though it's always been sort of ambiguous I suppose, hasn't it?

Chriddof

Send that twat this link:

Mr Floppy - 100,000 Morrisseys

Apparently got a few plays on Radio 1 from a mischievous John Peel. The second line of the first verse feels kind of eerie now.

jobotic

We need racists to complete our rainbow world.

Ray Travez

Quote from: Neomod on February 02, 2020, 08:55:21 PM
I genuinely believe he's just regurgitating, word for word something he's read on Morrissey Solo.

'regurgitating' would be the word

djtrees

This popped up on instantgram via something else. It's shit but made me do a laugh.

jenna appleseed

my stupid brain is now trying to squeeze "fuck the morrissey" into the slow bits of the 'hang the dj' chorus of Panic, but it keeps going all 'fuck the morsey' then turning back into the proper chorus.

kngen

Quote from: idunnosomename on February 01, 2020, 01:21:19 PM
it's a pretty mainstream label that represses burzum. i guess with record labels they don't need to deal directly with Vikernes, but they know they'll make money off it i guess, but so will he.

http://www.backonblack.com/catalogue.htm

also despite what they say their mastering is apparently pretty shitty

Yep, they use GZ in the Czech Republic - I've rejected more test presses from there than I've accepted. I laughed out loud when I saw that they were doing Back on Black's 'audiophile reissues'. I presume they're hoping that most people will just listen to the digital download and not actually bother with the vinyl, other than looking at the nice colours.

Also that song is horrible. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it's a very unpleasant feeling hearing his voice laid over a DAW-created song. Does not play to his strengths.

idunnosomename

huh. he's playing leeds arena tonight and wembley next week. and people are going. who knew.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: jenna appleseed on February 07, 2020, 05:53:41 PM
my stupid brain is now trying to squeeze "fuck the morrissey" into the slow bits of the 'hang the dj' chorus of Panic, but it keeps going all 'fuck the morsey' then turning back into the proper chorus.

Couldn't you just sing " fuck Morrissey" ?

Neomod

We'll Let You Know Morrissey Dropped

QuoteMorrissey blames the label's "new plans for 'diversity'," but BMG says it's simply chosen not to renew his contract

https://thequietus.com/articles/29245-morrissey-dropped-by-record-label-bmg

Thomas

Sweating 'Suedehead' singer seething over Simpsons Smiths spoof:

Morrissey hits out at The Simpsons as 'hurtful and racist' after being parodied in latest episode

Quote from: Morrissey's PR person/nephewSurprising what a "turn for the worst" the writing for The Simpson's tv show has taken in recent years.

Sadly, The Simpson's show started out creating great insight into the modern cultural experience, but has since degenerated to trying to capitalize on cheap controversy and expounding on vicious rumors.

Poking fun at subjects is one thing. Other shows like SNL still do a great job at finding ways to inspire great satire.

But when a show stoops so low to use harshly hateful tactics like showing the Morrissey character with his belly hanging out of his shirt (when he has never looked like that at any point in his career) makes you wonder who the real hurtful, racist group is here.

Even worse - calling the Morrissey character out for being a racist, without pointing out any specific instances, offers nothing. It only serves to insult the artist.

They should take that mirror and hold it up to themselves.

Simpson's actor Hank Azaria's recent apology to the whole country of India for his role in upholding "structural racism" says it all.

Unlike the character in the Simpson's "Panic" episode.......

Morrissey has never made a "cash grab", hasn't sued any people for their attacks, has never stopped performing great shows, and is still a serious vegan and strong supporter for animal rights.

By suggesting all of the above in this episode...the Simpson's hypocritical approach to their storyline says it all.

Truly they are the only ones who have stopped creating, and have instead turned unapologetically hurtful and racist.

Not surprising...... that The Simpsons viewership ratings have gone down so badly over recent years

holyzombiejesus

First time The Simpsons has made me laugh in about 20 years.

Ferris

As much as it raises a chuckle, it still says a lot more about the decline of the simpsons than Moz.

We all know he's an unpleasant cunt, but that the simpsons having a pop at him using "lol fat" as their main criticism absolves him of being an unpleasant cunt.

Maybe it's more niche; it's the simpsons after 1998 so I'm not going to bother watching it to find out.

Thomas

I skimmed a plot summary; I don't think 'lol fat' is supposed to be the character's main flaw - if anything, it appears just to be set dressing. By the time Lisa goes to see modern day Quilloughby (for that is the parody's name), he has become a
Spoiler alert
racist and mean-spirited meat-chomper
[close]
.[nb]the title of the character's solo album is quite funny:
Spoiler alert
Refugees, Again?
[close]
[/nb]

Incidentally, Morrissey has used 'fat' quite a lot in his lyrics, to take the piss or put characters down, as well as throughout Autobiography. I think he has a bit of self-image thing about it.

Ferris

Quote from: Thomas on April 19, 2021, 12:24:30 PM
I skimmed a plot summary; I don't think 'lol fat' is supposed to be the character's main flaw - if anything, I think it's just set dressing.

Incidentally, Morrissey has used 'fat' quite a lot in his lyrics, to take the piss or put characters down, as well as throughout Autobiography. I think he has a bit of self-image thing about it.

Oh it's not like a one-scene appearance? There's a whole simpsons storyline around him? Not been culturally relevant in 25 years, that seems a bit odd[nb]and Morrissey hasn't been relevant for about as long[/nb].

Thomas

I think the producers must have settled on Morrissey as a good template for a 'don't meet your heroes' sort of character - a post-relevancy pop star in hateful decline.

Also, he still has pockets of cultural cache in the US because of his Mexican-American fanbase, to whom he has consciously played up on occasion. I honestly think that - if it weren't for that fanbase - he'd have praised Trump as an outsider rocking the system[nb]à la Moz's muddled support for the Thatcherite fox-hunter Farage.[/nb] rather than loudly denouncing him. His anti-migrant rants are carefully Europe-only.

idunnosomename

Makes you wonder who the real racist is really.

He'll be even more pissed off that they got Johnny Marr and Andy Rourke spot on.

Ferris

Quote from: Thomas on April 19, 2021, 12:33:33 PM
I think the producers must have settled on Morrissey as a good template for a 'don't meet your heroes' sort of character - a post-relevancy pop star in hateful decline.

Fair enough, he's about right for that.

QuoteAlso, he still has pockets of cultural cache in the US because of his Mexican-American fanbase

What? That's news to me!