Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,475
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:34:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Morrissey continues.

Started by Thomas, September 18, 2017, 11:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

phantom_power

That Morrissey statement is great. "Well they had a white person doing an Asian character's voice so I can't be racist, and besides I don't eat meat so get out of that one"

El Unicornio, mang

rue the polywhirl

Pretty dangerous because it's PR of some kind for Morrissey and Simpsons is so toxified and stale it's bound to garner sympathy for Morrissey. Also I don't think Matt Groening and the voice cast are holding up any better in their manky old age. Groening is probably munching into a sandwich right now in between his other quarter-hourly sandwiches.

Thomas

It wasn't clear at the time, but the outraged first-person statement I quoted this morning, from the Morrissey Official page on Facebook, actually came from Morrissey's manager.

Steven himself has this to say (I've done him the favour of adding paragraph breaks):

QuoteThis is my first comment (and hopefully my last) on The Simpsons' episode - which I know has enraged many people. The hatred shown towards me from the creators of The Simpsons is obviously a taunting lawsuit, but one that requires more funding than I could possibly muster in order to make a challenge. Neither do I have a determined business squad of legal practitioners ready to pounce. I think this is generally understood and is the reason why I am so carelessly and noisily attacked. You are especially despised if your music affects people in a strong and beautiful way, since music is no longer required to. In fact, the worst thing you can do in 2021 is to lend a bit of strength to the lives of others. There is no place in modern music for anyone with strong emotions. Limitations have been placed on art, and no label will sign an artist who might answer back.

Anyway, forgive me, we all know this because we can see how music - and the world in general, has become a mesmerizing mess, and we must let it go spinning along unbearably because free speech no longer exists. We all know this. In my case, nothing about my life has ever been matter-of-fact; nothing about my songs has ever been matter-of-fact ... so why would they now be? Since my very first interview several decades ago I have lived with horrible accusations to such a degree that it is generally understood that 'this is how we write about Morrissey'. In other words, I'm quite used to it. I've had enough horror thrown at me that would kill off a herd of bison. Accusations usually come from someone with a crazed desire for importance; they don't operate at a very high level. Writing for The Simpsons, for example, evidently requires only complete ignorance. But all of these things are too easy for me to say. In a world obsessed with Hate Laws, there are none that protect me.

Often, the scandal sheets (do we STILL refer to them as 'news'papers?) attempt to psychologically wound an artist, and then, hopefully stir up enough hatred against that artist so that s/he is physically wounded. False theories of race are now the most common (and boring) aspect of all criticism, and will continue to be so until accusations of racism are in themselves illicit. I have watched 'Smiths fans' being attacked by the UK press on the grounds that 'Smiths fans' are too backward to understand the person that I am; I have watched the modern Morrissey audience be ridiculed by the UK press with the belief that they, too, couldn't possibly know who I am, and I have lost several high-profile friends because they could no longer live with the night and day harassment from British journalists who are suicidally anguished because they cannot urge the people around me to drum up tell-tale incidents of racism.

This battle fatigue I face alone, although I am very grateful to the writer Fiona Dodwell for her eloquent appraisals of the victimization that now automatically associates with my name, and on which The Simpsons latest episode feasts.

People continually ask me why I do not retaliate - especially following the Sky Sports open slander. The answer is explained in the first few lines of this comment. Life is difficult and you must face it on your own, and even with the impossible-to-imagine legal artillary, everything can be repaired ... except the human heart.

It is easier for me not to go on. You know I couldn't last.

Remember when he called Germany 'the rape capital of Europe because of open borders', and speculated that Weinstein's victims were 'merely disappointed' partners? Those journalists must simply have been crazed when they quoted him accurately.

jobotic

In a world obsessed with Hate Laws there are none that protect me, a rich racist, from being portrayed with a large gut.

Wassatallabout?

Pauline Walnuts

"In a world obsessed with Hate Laws, there are none that protect me."

Oh, someones already...

Anyway, I don't know how much this comes over in print, but

Quote from: https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/morrissey-blasts-the-simpsons-for-hateful-and-hypocritical-parody-075837650.html
In the most damning scene, both Lisa and the young Quilloughby were horrified when the bloated, nasty, circa-2021 Quilloughby admitted onstage that the Snuffs' reunion was just a "cash grab" because "I lost my fortune suing people for saying things about me... that were completely true," followed by his denouncement of veganism because it "was invented by foreigners, of whom there are far too many on this planet!"

Quilloughby then shouted to the jeering crowd while firing off a meat-gun, "That's right, I hate the foreign! Coming to this country and taking our jobs! Sleeping with our men!" Eventually a riot broke out as Quilloughby performed a new track from his solo album, Refugees? Again?, while the young, imaginary Quilloughby cried out, "Is this what I turned into? I'm greedy, I'm hateful, and my face looks like a syphilitic moon!"

It's not the most, sophisticated of parodies is it?

jobotic

Sounds expectedly shit. This is like the Starmer pub fight.

Custard

"Morrissey continues" will never not be funny. Like he's decided to carry on even though no one else wants him to

Here, Morrissey. Nobody gives a fuck mate. And you look, and write like a cunt.

phantom_power

"which I know has enraged many people...on my staff"

The Mollusk

"There is no place in modern music for anyone with strong emotions."

Funny he says this the same week Rina Sawayama, an artist who has been widely celebrated for her open discussion and lyrical content on racial othering and queer identity, dropped a collab single with Elton John about the power of friendship. Get fucked Moz you old cunt.

jobotic

And not once did she say anything to Morissey about his life.

Thomas

Quote from: The Mollusk on April 20, 2021, 09:15:27 AM

Funny he says this the same week Rina Sawayama, an artist who has been widely celebrated for her open discussion and lyrical content on racial othering and queer identity, dropped a collab single with Elton John about the power of friendship. Get fucked Moz you old cunt.

I do like the implication that Morrissey is the only singer in the industry with strong emotions, and this is why he hasn't got a deal. Five seconds of Angel Olsen move me more than 50 minutes of Moz's latest.

Incidentally, everyone, please listen to this track and tell me the lyrics and vocal melody aren't vintage David Brent -

Morrissey - Love Is On Its Way Out

peanutbutter

Quote from: Shameless Custard on April 20, 2021, 08:20:12 AM
"Morrissey continues" will never not be funny. Like he's decided to carry on even though no one else wants him to
Yep, my favourite thread title to see bumped

sevendaughters

Quote from: The Mollusk on April 20, 2021, 09:15:27 AM

don't think this is quite the defence you think it is, Nags, but I applaud the general spirit of telling Moz to get fucked.

The Mollusk

poodlefaker

If he wasn't such a prick, Morrissey could be having a great life these days as a fondly-remembered 80s/90s icon. A weekly show on 6Music (syndicated across the US), a few festivals a year, Sky Arts documentaries about Jobriath and Klaus Nomi, book tours. What an arse.

Thomas

People often make the point that he's always been like this, with strains of his nostalgic, reactionary worldview evident in certain tracks and interviews going back to The Smiths, which is true, but I think the court case in the late '90s did something to his constitution.

That said, he was still a funny, grumpily amiable presence up to about 2006 or so. Then proceeded the kamikaze in earnest, and now every lead single and statement is about free speech and wokeness and how the charts are out to get him. He's definitely obsessed with chart positions, and poor chartings seem to bolster his conspiratorial paranoia.

Check out these sparkling lyrics from yer UKIP uncle on Facebook his latest album:

QuoteI am not a dog on a chain
I use my own brain
I do not read newspapers
They are troublemakers

Anyway, he'll be pleased that For Britain (won't link) have pledged to stand by him at this terrible time.

Video Game Fan 2000

Reading his autobiography is definitely the thoughts of a guy who realises something serious is up with himself, but is doubling down on everything rather than acknowledging that he has to admit his faults.  Its the document of someone passing from incredibly flawed to irredeemable. Its remarkable in a way, that exact moment is what his editors let him put down on the page. You get to see the last spark of the brilliant, perverse young mind who wrote "Still Ill" flicker and die over and over again for hundreds of pages.

If his fall from grace wasn't specifically into fascism it'd be sympathetic because he blames the court case for disrupting his intimate relationship with his fan base, the unique understanding shared with audience and performer, when very clearly it is people growing up and getting disillusioned with him and disappointed that the aesthetic didn't match the man. He thinks it was all about him as as flesh and blood individual rather than something he was fortunate enough to get to make.

Its even more annoying if you consider that he'd actually be lauded if he came clean with "I was racist and prejudiced as a younger man but now I see the light as a working class gay man I understand only intersectionality can blah blah blah" and people would love him for it and he'd be called a poet again, his books would be reviewed well again, I mean he shouldn't and they shouldn't be, but it would happen. Too much of a narcissist to see even the lowest of the low hanging fruit.

Neomod

Surely it can't be lost on him that half the people on his side now are the 'sorts' who would have kicked the shit out of him 30 years ago.[nb]Then again he could be on a Francis Bacon tip with his love of Richard Allen, the Krays and young tuffs.[/nb]

Kankurette

Balls to Morrissey. I'd rather listen to Sawayama.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

The continuing self-debasement of Morrissey is a welcome source of comfort and joy during these difficult times.

Jockice

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on April 20, 2021, 01:50:28 PM
Reading his autobiography is definitely the thoughts of a guy who realises something serious is up with himself, but is doubling down on everything rather than acknowledging that he has to admit his faults.  Its the document of someone passing from incredibly flawed to irredeemable. Its remarkable in a way, that exact moment is what his editors let him put down on the page. You get to see the last spark of the brilliant, perverse young mind who wrote "Still Ill" flicker and die over and over again for hundreds of pages.

If his fall from grace wasn't specifically into fascism it'd be sympathetic because he blames the court case for disrupting his intimate relationship with his fan base, the unique understanding shared with audience and performer, when very clearly it is people growing up and getting disillusioned with him and disappointed that the aesthetic didn't match the man. He thinks it was all about him as as flesh and blood individual rather than something he was fortunate enough to get to make.

Its even more annoying if you consider that he'd actually be lauded if he came clean with "I was racist and prejudiced as a younger man but now I see the light as a working class gay man I understand only intersectionality can blah blah blah" and people would love him for it and he'd be called a poet again, his books would be reviewed well again, I mean he shouldn't and they shouldn't be, but it would happen. Too much of a narcissist to see even the lowest of the low hanging fruit.

I'd like him to have covered the court case in a bit more depth.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Neomod on April 20, 2021, 02:47:00 PM
Surely it can't be lost on him that half the people on his side now are the 'sorts' who would have kicked the shit out of him 30 years ago.[nb]Then again he could be on a Francis Bacon tip with his love of Richard Allen, the Krays and young tuffs.[/nb]

50 years ago.

Morrissey's conception of his sexuality is tied into his conception of whiteness - homoerotic whiteness - so being opposed to both homophobia and immigration is not a contradiction for him. There have always been gay fascists (see Röhm, who wasn't built in a day).

Kankurette

I'm pretty sure the leader of For Britain is a lesbian.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Kankurette on April 22, 2021, 01:03:19 AM
I'm pretty sure the leader of For Britain is a lesbian.

one with Irish blood and an English heart too