Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,582,194
  • Total Topics: 106,728
  • Online Today: 897
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 03:13:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Comedy lines that just tickle the shit out of you

Started by Twed, September 19, 2017, 03:34:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saltysnacks

Quote from: Terryfuckwit on May 20, 2018, 01:09:18 AM
'no context sentence in quotations marks'

If you don't know, then you're not one of the cool kids. Sorry.

bgmnts

Quote from: Steven on May 24, 2018, 12:10:20 PM
"He wanks as high as any in Wome!"

I dont think its worth its own thread as its probably been talked to death but if anyone can find me a line in Life of Brian that doesnt make you laugh you get a gold star.

I think its actually perfect.

Cuellar

I don't think I've ever really laughed at a line in a Monty Python film. You just sit there and go "Oh yes that's funny", but never really laughing.

Apart from that bit in the Holy Grail when one of them is running at a castle and never seems to get any closer and then suddenly is right at the gates and he stabs the guards. I genuinely laughed out loud at that. But no dialogue in that scene, crucially.

Bhazor

Quote from: bgmnts on May 24, 2018, 12:45:05 PM
I dont think its worth its own thread as its probably been talked to death but if anyone can find me a line in Life of Brian that doesnt make you laugh you get a gold star.

I think its actually perfect.

"You mean you were raped?"

Steven

Quote from: Cuellar on May 24, 2018, 11:12:38 PM
I don't think I've ever really laughed at a line in a Monty Python film. You just sit there and go "Oh yes that's funny", but never really laughing.

What about the series?

There's a few lines in the films that nobody ever quotes but stick out to me like a sore-thumb. Such as when the King Of Swamp castle is showing Lancelot around and mentioning "Oh.. We're going to have all this knocked through, and made into one big, uh, living room" as it was something everyone was doing in the 70s.

There's also an amazing bit in the earlier script where they impeach God to help them steal the Grail from Castle Aaargh, but he says he can't as he "moves in mysterious ways" but offers to drive the getaway van. Cue the knights all dashing out of Castle Argh with the Grail, jump in the van which immediately stalls. They're all screaming to get a move on and all you hear is the ignition going and puttering to a stop, and God exasperatedly shouts "But I'm used to automatics!"

St_Eddie

Quote from: Steven on May 24, 2018, 11:15:44 PM
There's also an amazing bit in the earlier script where they impeach God to help them steal the Grail from Castle Aaargh, but he says he can't as he "moves in mysterious ways" but offers to drive the getaway van. Cue the knights all dashing out of Castle Argh with the Grail, jump in the van which immediately stalls. They're all screaming to get a move on and all you hear is the ignition going and puttering to a stop, and God exasperatedly shouts "But I'm used to automatics!"

Heh.  That should have remained in the film.

Quote from: Cuellar on May 24, 2018, 11:12:38 PM

So you've never even laughed at the "Anybody else fancy a bit of a giggle, when I mention the name bigggggggus dickkkkkkkus" line spoken into the guards face as he struggles to contain himself?

I genuinely think that is one of the funniest comedy moments I've seen on the screen. I've seen it so many times and it still makes me laugh.

Cuellar

Nah. I recognise its humour, I see how and why it's funny obviously. But genuinely laughing aloud? Nah.

bgmnts

saltysnacks

Everything in the Kamikaze Scotsman sketch.

Cuellar

SteveDave

yesitsme

Not a line that I heard but the fact.

When I asked eldest why we never saw Mr Puffs he said that he'd 'been turned in to a lampshade but Mrs Puffs didn't like to talk about it.'

Apart from being globally successful for over 20 years and earning it's creators billions of pounds I don't think SpongeBob Squarepants gets the critical acclaim it deserves.

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on May 25, 2018, 06:00:05 AM
So you've never even laughed at the "Anybody else fancy a bit of a giggle, when I mention the name bigggggggus dickkkkkkkus" line spoken into the guards face as he struggles to contain himself?

I only find corpsing funny when it's genuine not fake or acted.

Steven

St_Eddie

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on May 25, 2018, 06:00:05 AM

I genuinely think that is one of the funniest comedy moments I've seen on the screen. I've seen it so many times and it still makes me laugh.

That's my go-to moment too, in terms of making me laugh.  It never fails to elicit a genuine chuckle from me.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on May 25, 2018, 05:44:01 PM
I only find corpsing funny when it's genuine not fake or acted.

I've heard multiple stories about this, that the extras would be sacked if they corpsed to one of them couldn't hold it in so Palin improvised and asked him if it was risible. I've not heard it was 'fake', deliberately engineered by the director maybe, but not fake.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 27, 2018, 09:27:45 PM
I've heard multiple stories about this, that the extras would be sacked if they corpsed to one of them couldn't hold it in so Palin improvised and asked him if it was risible. I've not heard it was 'fake', deliberately engineered by the director maybe, but not fake.

I don't know if most of the guards were just extras, but the 'risible' one that Palin talks directly to is Chris Langham (unless I've massively misremembered) which makes it all being completely scripted and rehearsed seem much more likely.  I'd imagine that comedy writers/actors are probably fairly good at controlling themselves <prepares for several thousand examples to prove the opposite>.

kalowski

QDRPHNC

Garth in Wayne's World: "We fear change."

It's all the delivery.

kalowski

Too we'll known for the Partridge thread, I think the house viewing scene in IAP is a perfect summation of the man. Classics like, "Yes, it's an extender!" and "It flushed on the first yank!" go without saying. But there's so much in the scene:

"She's living with a fitness instructor. He drinks that yellow stuff in tins. He's an idiot!"

"I'll do my stint. I'd want expenses though. Otherwise people start taking liberties. Before you know it you're mowing their lawn."

"That mean there will be noise or there won't be noise? Difficult one to figure out, that. But they're just deaf, they're not deaf offenders?"

"Scaled-down supermarket, fits inside a petrol station. Sells pies, antifreeze?"

"Always remembering to open them with care, because otters may have shifted during the flight".

Andy147

And "He doesn't look very brawny" "True, but that's nothing compared to how much he's not brainy".

Most of Douglas's lines in that episode, in fact.

DrGreggles

Sebastian Cobb

"Have you ever tried pilchard curry?"
"No."
"It's a very economical meal!"

Rocket Surgery

Quote from: rectorofstiffkey on May 28, 2018, 02:41:00 PM
the 'risible' one that Palin talks directly to is Chris Langham

Christ, it is as well!

Hat well and truly fucked there.

alan nagsworth

"Stimpy's shedded skins, strewn all over the house! This pubescence has got to STOP!"

fucking ponderous

Been rewatching Arrested Development lately and "I buy all my cars at police auctions" will always be funny to me. Especially the fact that Tobias introduces Carl Weathers to Lindsay right before surely expecting him to say some acting tip. Carl Weathers may be my favorite part of the series, and of life.