Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 17, 2024, 12:58:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Obscure strange films that showed up on terrestrial TV back in the day

Started by George White, September 20, 2017, 09:53:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George White

Looking over RTE schedules from 2000, Popeye on RTE 2 the same day as Charles Jarrott's the Dove. All on the same day, Doomwatch, Magic, Beautician and the Beast and the Great Escape! Gumball Rally, Thief Who Came To Dinner, when i was 5, a season of Sherlocks with Rathbone. A High Wind in Jamaica. Colossus of Rhodes on BBC 2 same day as I love 1979.
I miss this.
#Morefilmsontelly

Glebe

Just bumping this because I have an obscure movie TV memory that I can't find anything about via the Google; my fellow not-that-young-anymore folks may remember ITV running foreign films late at night in the late '80s/early 90s, possibly as part of there Night Time schedule... you'd kind of watch them for naughty bits, but then get strangely emotionally caught-up in the continental romance of it all! Anyway, the film I'm thinking of was possibly Italian or French, and was about a group of old men (retired soldiers, I think) in a convalescent home or summit... one of them is a bit younger, a kind of bearded silver fox, and he has a bit of a romance with a younger woman. Any ideas? Thanks in advance, nostalgic TV watchers!

PowerButchi

Quote from: Phil_A on December 24, 2017, 10:12:24 AM
Exploitica?

I used to love Expolitica! What was it, around 1998/9? I remember I used to stay at a mates every Saturday and wed watch it on his bedroom portbable anhd that would have been around then. They'd often have an obscure film on after it in full too.

Best film they shown - The Curious Dr Humpp.

George White

On RTE, Sheriff and the Satellite Kid, Whitewater Sam, Rogue and the Grizzly (shot on video Grizzly Adams knockoff), That Man Bolt,
as well as airing the Pig and Whistle from CBC.

George White

Confessions of a Police Captain  showed up on RTE IN THE 80S.
The Masters, another Eurocrime on ITV in the 80s.
Die Jager (1982) with Mel Ferrer on ITV
The Humanoid also showed up on ITV.
The Day Time Ended showed up on Clapperboard.Eliza Fraser, the Secret of Isis and Money Movers on Sky, Superchannel and lifestyle Premiere showed PBS' the Haunting of Barney Palmer, Andy Griffith,  Hollywood Vice Squad,  HVC Ride a Pink Car, Busted UP, Survival Element with William Shatner, Slammer Girls, The Geek, Romano Scavolini's Dog Tags, For Heaven's Sake, Diamond Thieves(possibly the Squeeze with Lee Van Cleef in an earring committing a heist), Cobra Mission on Sky, The Geek, Romano Scavolini's Dog Tags, Geek, Hurricane, Dance Fever, Evil Senses, The Warrior and the Sorceress,   Wardog, Family Reunion, A Different Story,Italian nonsense Double Target and Amazonia - The Catherine Miles Story, TVMs Bluffing It with Dennis Weaver and the Dianne Wiest melodrama Face of Rage, Uphill all the way with Glen Campbell, Vestron's Party Camp, Family and Honour, Heated Vengeance with Richard Hatch, SkyPirates with WW1 ace Nicky Lyndhurst, Thrashin' with Josh Brolin, Ron Marchini in Forgotten Warrior, TVM A Man for Hanging,  Adam - His Song Continues, I'm for the Hippopotamus with Hill and Spencer, Filmark's Secret Ninja, No Way Back, Barbarian Queen and Reform School Girls, The Being, Slaughter High, Shattered Spirits with Martin Sheen, TVM I married Wyatt Earp and Secret Witness, The Defiant, Lust, Breaking All the Rules,, Aerobicide, the 1986 Highwaymen remake of Stagecoach,  In Defence of Kids, and on Premiere - Up from the Depths, Killing Kind JFK roman a clef Prince Jack,  Radioactive Dreams and Captain Harlock...

Guns of Will Sonnett on Sky

Cobra Mission on Sky Premiere alongside HBO's First and Ten,

George White

The Irish Newspaper Archive and  on RTE Guide Classic Issues on Facebook
Also on HVC, Agent on Ice, Snake Strikes Back, Dead Easy, Speed Racer, Bloody Wednesday, the TRIVIAL PURSUIT STORY from CBC,  Ghostkeeper, Fraternity Vacation,  Annihilators, and Rare Breed - all from New World, Hot Target, Danger Zone, the Glove from 1979, We Must See Clearly and Takedown, Boggy Creek,
Space Rage, One Two Two from 1978, David Hamilton's Cousins in Love,Foxfire Light, Stand Alone with Charles Durning, Canadian telefilm Brothers by Choice, Seymour Borde/Rosemarie Turko's Scarred, Spookies,Joe D'Amato's the Pleasure, Vestron's Senior Week, Sex Appeal, Armed Response, Beach House, anime Thundersub,  the Making of Taipan, Busted Up from Shapiro Glickenhaus,   Warbus and Left Hand Side of the Law, Marseilles Connection, Vendetta, Acapulco Gold,  and on Premiere -  Mad Dog Morgan, Lovespell

Apparently, GLOW got a UK showing on Lifestyle in the 80s

George White

The Last Day of the War, a Spanish tax shelter war movie with George Maharis on ITV
Grand Slam (1967) on RTE in the 70s

RTE showing CBC's Whiteoaks of Jalna and CTV's Pig and Whistle - guests Hattie Jacques,Ruby Murray, Alexander Brothers, Andy Stewart and Josef Locke.   

kngen

Unman, Wittering and Zigo (1971). Some might argue that this isn't really obscure, but I have literally heard no one talk about it since I saw it late night on Channel 4 at some point in the 80s. Quite a chilling film, like The Wicker Man but set in a school. Seems like the only way to watch it again is given Amazon money to stream it. Boooo!

New Jack

Dunno if it's very obscure but sadist Polanski eroto-classic Bitter Moon cropped up on probably Channel 4 about fifteen years ago, maybe more, and it was my introduction to this film I'm now obsessed with. Even if it does have Hugh Grant

Feels a bit daring to show on mainstream TV now. Even without the Polanski outrage. Pretty fucking full on in some ways. Shame they never filmed her pissing on the TV screen and it was just a monologue, eh, perverts?

kngen

Quote from: kngen on August 18, 2018, 04:19:09 PM
Unman, Wittering and Zigo (1971). Some might argue that this isn't really obscure, but I have literally heard no one talk about it since I saw it late night on Channel 4 at some point in the 80s. Quite a chilling film, like The Wicker Man but set in a school. Seems like the only way to watch it again is given Amazon money to stream it. Boooo!

Oh, I see holyzombiejesus mentioned it on another thread. Oops.

Sebastian Cobb

I remember watching ch4 one evening and them announcing that the film up next would be Karma Sutra: a book of love. Slyly tapped the record button on the vcr without my folks noticing.

greenman

Quote from: New Jack on August 18, 2018, 04:20:42 PM
Dunno if it's very obscure but sadist Polanski eroto-classic Bitter Moon cropped up on probably Channel 4 about fifteen years ago, maybe more, and it was my introduction to this film I'm now obsessed with. Even if it does have Hugh Grant

Feels a bit daring to show on mainstream TV now. Even without the Polanski outrage. Pretty fucking full on in some ways. Shame they never filmed her pissing on the TV screen and it was just a monologue, eh, perverts?

Didn't see it then but watched it a few months ago based on recommendations here and honestly it felt like it was almost a takedown on the kind of Basic instinct stle erotic thriller of the era. The dialog and perviness just strayed so far into Titchmarshian cheese I was wondering about its rep after watching the first half of it. Then it shifts into ultra cruelty and finally into gloriously mental much sharper black comedy that to me seems to paint what came before as a piss take on that kind of cinema and Grant's character being a stand in for the audiences appetite for it.

George White

ITV showed Hugo Stiglitz in Rene Cardona's Robinson Crusoe and the Tiger.
and UTV also aired in 987, the Grizzly and the Treasure, another Adams knockoff.
Lifestyle showed the Legend of Black Thunder Mountain