Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:12:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Good Place

Started by phantom_power, September 21, 2017, 01:12:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

The new series has just started and series 1 has just come onto Netflix, with season 2 starting soon, keeping pace with the US showing I imagine. They have it badged as a "Netflix Original" as well, the cheeky blighters

Utter Shit

Brilliant show. The best Yank sitcom in years. Ted Danson is so good.

brat-sampson

I wasn't expecting S2 on Netflix this soon (basically day and date with the US and will be for the rest of the season.)

Rule one will be that for anyone dropping in, you *have* to start from the start. S2 begins with 'Chapters 14 and 15' for a reason. The show has an engaging and twisty plot as well as being a good comedy, so avoid reading much on the new season if you can help it.

So yeah, I enjoyed this new opener, it got through a bunch of stuff faster than I expected it to. I wasn't keen on Mr Bitey, but everyone else in those roles did a great job. The main stars are all still fun characters and yeah, I'm really interested to see where this goes, even if I wouldn't name it as the funniest show.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: brat-sampson on September 21, 2017, 01:32:34 PM
I wasn't expecting S2 on Netflix this soon (basically day and date with the US and will be for the rest of the season.)

Rule one will be that for anyone dropping in, you *have* to start from the start. S2 begins with 'Chapters 14 and 15' for a reason. The show has an engaging and twisty plot as well as being a good comedy, so avoid reading much on the new season if you can help it.

So yeah, I enjoyed this new opener, it got through a bunch of stuff faster than I expected it to. I wasn't keen on Mr Bitey, but everyone else in those roles did a great job. The main stars are all still fun characters and yeah, I'm really interested to see where this goes, even if I wouldn't name it as the funniest show.

I agree with all of that bar that I find it very very funny stuff and up their with the best sitcoms around at the moment. I just love the feel and the tone of the piece, and it ups my mood no end.

Alberon

I got through the first season just a month or so back (but sadly had been spoiled for the final episode). The new direction season two is taking is interesting and I wonder where it will lead.

My general guess, and it's totally a guess, is that Michael, hit with repeated failures, will have to bring the four humans in on the scheme to fake a success and save himself.

kidsick5000

I was worried that season two would be too much of a retread.
But that was really interesting.

I reckon you are right, Alberon. Michael may even find that he has to make a genuine good place for the humans. 

Ant Farm Keyboard

I loved that the mood in the workforce makes it a living hell for Michael to be the boss there.

kngen

Watched this last night (after just finishing S1, somehow managing to be blissfully ignorant of the twist) - I'm really interested to see where they go with this.

Prob belongs in the 'Comedy lines that just tickle the shit out you' thread - but the missus got quite annoyed with me because I just couldn't stop laughing at Michael's 'I may have accidentally kicked your dog into the sun' line from S1E1*. She was lying with her head in my lap at the time, so the violent convulsions were probably quite irritating, but that got me, that did - hooo yes. Still sets me off now and then.

Great to finally see Ted Danson in something that doesn't totally waste his talents (Edit: comedically, I mean and CYE aside. He was of course brilliant in Fargo - is Bored to Death worth a watch?) - makes me want to watch Cheers again, which is no bad thing.

*As someone pointed out on the AV Club, who would kick a dog apart from an utter heel? It was right in front of us from the start!

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: kngen on September 25, 2017, 05:24:46 PM
Watched this last night (after just finishing S1, somehow managing to be blissfully ignorant of the twist) - I'm really interested to see where they go with this.

Prob belongs in the 'Comedy lines that just tickle the shit out you' thread - but the missus got quite annoyed with me because I just couldn't stop laughing at Michael's 'I may have accidentally kicked your dog into the sun' line from S1E1*. She was lying with her head in my lap at the time, so the violent convulsions were probably quite irritating, but that got me, that did - hooo yes. Still sets me off now and then.

Great to finally see Ted Danson in something that doesn't totally waste his talents (Edit: comedically, I mean and CYE aside. He was of course brilliant in Fargo - is Bored to Death worth a watch?) - makes me want to watch Cheers again, which is no bad thing.

*As someone pointed out on the AV Club, who would kick a dog apart from an utter heel? It was right in front of us from the start!

I really enjoyed Bored to Death, but then I'm a big fan of Jonathan Ames' writing in general, to the extent that I was one of the five people who watched and enjoyed Blunt Talk.

amnesiac

I'd heard good things about this so I watched the Netflix trailer and there's a bit where the guy says to the Frozen-voice lady "wait, what?" and I was all like fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck off mate, I hate that bloody shit cliche shit.

So it's proper good though yeah?

brat-sampson

It's better than that two-word line would lead you to think, yes.

remedial_gash

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 25, 2017, 08:57:41 PM
I really enjoyed Bored to Death, but then I'm a big fan of Jonathan Ames' writing in general, to the extent that I was one of the five people who watched and enjoyed Blunt Talk.

Get to fuck, I loved hard talk - was it cancelled? and I loved 'bored to death' - oh come on.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Blunt Talk was basically ordered for two seasons just on the strength of Seth MacFarlane's name. He wanted to give Patrick Stewart a comedy show, and he asked around for projects. Jonathan Ames had this idea, MacFarlane talked Starz into producing two seasons even before the pilot aired, but the ratings were always disastrous, so they never considered committing to a third season.

There are still talks of a Bored to Death feature on HBO that would tie a few loose ends, but it looks like it's about as advanced as the Deadwood film.

remedial_gash

Wow, it bombed? There were so many interesting characters. Arse!

hewantstolurkatad

Enjoyed season one a lot and they took a really interesting direction to go with season two, although I've doubts as to where they can go beyond a second season. Really enjoyed the first episode of season 2, kinda surprised they blew their load so fast but I guess the note may've limited where they could go this season (assuming they're gonna find stuff out pretty fast regardless, just not /that/ fast)

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: hewantstolurkatad on September 27, 2017, 11:27:38 AM
Enjoyed season one a lot and they took a really interesting direction to go with season two, although I've doubts as to where they can go beyond a second season. Really enjoyed the first episode of season 2, kinda surprised they blew their load so fast but I guess the note may've limited where they could go this season (assuming they're gonna find stuff out pretty fast regardless, just not /that/ fast)

The sheet of paper was the kind of stuff that was necessary to give the audience in between seasons some note of hope for the characters who were about to get their memories erased. Without that, you had to rely on the trust that they would still be somewhat better people, but there was nothing material to signify it.

I guess that the aborted second take that was shown during the premiere served two purposes. First of all, it allowed them to  close the "Find Chidi" storyline fast, rather than relying for too long on a gimmick. Second of all, it may have put in place some thematic elements that will persist during the rest of the season. Given how fast Eleanor was able to contain her previous instincts and uncover the truth, it's obvious that she's a changed and improved person. Then, we've seen that Michael is surrounded by a less than enthusiast crew that bungles his instructions and he's in a delicate situation with his supervisor. This won't change even with take three.

remedial_gash

Just rewatched s1 on Netflix, and there are so many clues, it really is bloody amazing. Much better on a re-watch.

phantom_power

Is Janet in on it? I have rewatched bits of it on Netflix as the kids are watching it and there seems to be a lot of scenes of Michael acting "in character" when none of the four humans are around

phes

I watched two episodes and thought it was jank

Am i just not getting it. Have I shot-off prematurely?

brat-sampson

I'd say try one more. You'll know when the actual plot kicks in and the show improves from there.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: phantom_power on September 29, 2017, 08:47:58 AM
Is Janet in on it? I have rewatched bits of it on Netflix as the kids are watching it and there seems to be a lot of scenes of Michael acting "in character" when none of the four humans are around

I don't think she is, but I couldn't say for certain.

As for the latest episode: I'm amazed Sean hasn't popped by at any point to check that all's going to plan, given how convinced he was that it was going to fail it seems a bit odd / off that he hasn't done so.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 29, 2017, 10:46:10 PM
I don't think she is, but I couldn't say for certain.

As for the latest episode: I'm amazed Sean hasn't popped by at any point to check that all's going to plan, given how convinced he was that it was going to fail it seems a bit odd / off that he hasn't done so.

Maybe it'll turn out it's a bad place for Michael and his constant failure is his eternal punishment.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Ja'moke on September 30, 2017, 12:25:31 AM
Maybe it'll turn out it's a bad place for Michael and his constant failure is his eternal punishment.

That had crossed my mind but given that it was his own idea originally I'm not quite sure that works.

phantom_power

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 30, 2017, 11:16:20 AM
That had crossed my mind but given that it was his own idea originally I'm not quite sure that works.

Couldn't that be part of the hell though? That he is trapped in his own idea, his own bravado?

Alberon

Quote from: Alberon on September 23, 2017, 11:16:21 PM
I got through the first season just a month or so back (but sadly had been spoiled for the final episode). The new direction season two is taking is interesting and I wonder where it will lead.

My general guess, and it's totally a guess, is that <spoiler> Michael, hit with repeated failures, will have to bring the four humans in on the scheme to fake a success and save himself.</spoiler>

Second episode was really good and <spoiler>boiled through the continual reboots before ending up with the proposed alliance I guessed last week. The disgust Michael showed when Jason managed to figure it out in one attempt was very funny.</spoiler>

Paaaaul

Quote from: phes on September 29, 2017, 11:44:39 AM
I watched two episodes and thought it was jank

Am i just not getting it. Have I shot-off prematurely?
I'm currently watching episode 4.

It's not very good.

Most of the cast are hammy as fuck. The jokes are phenomenally weak. The episodic stories are so hacky they wouldn't be out of place in Two And A Half Men.
But the main story is quite intriguing, so I'll probably keep going for a few more episodes.

Edit: the fact that many jokes' punchlines are celebrity names is a huge red flag.

Ja'moke

I'd agree that I don't find the show particularly funny, although the first two episodes of Season 2 made me laugh much more than any Season 1 episode, so maybe it's improving. But yeah, the story is intriguing and the world they've created is compelling.

kidsick5000

It's always an awkward situation to have to recommend a comedy that doesn't carry many belly laughs
but the Good Place is beautifully crafted. I love the situation and the characters are well rounded.

Small Man Big Horse

I don't know, I find myself laughing out loud a good few times per episode, and it makes me smile a great deal so I've no issue recommending it. The world building is just superb on this, unlike anything I've seen before, and the big end of season one twist is one of my favourite sitcom moments of the past decade. Plus Ted Danson is such a delight to watch, his performance makes me grin throughout.

As for S02E04, despite being a bit of a bottle episode I loved it a great deal, especially the moment Janet turns up with Eleanor's cocaine, I knew the joke was coming but the timing was perfect.

Brundle-Fly

Watched the trailer, looks good. The idea reminds me of that old The Twilight Zone episode A Nice Place To Visit