Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:44:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Good Place

Started by phantom_power, September 21, 2017, 01:12:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberon

Their memories have been wiped, but not necessarily their character growth. Eleanor's stab at being good shows that, I think.

Any normal series would spend a whole season exploring this new scenario, so I expect The Good Place to have burned this to the ground inside of three episodes and moved on to something else. I mean you can't keep Michael and Janet in a room staring at ticker tape for too long, surely.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Alberon on February 03, 2018, 07:37:33 AM
Their memories have been wiped, but not necessarily their character growth. Eleanor's stab at being good shows that, I think.

Any normal series would spend a whole season exploring this new scenario, so I expect The Good Place to have burned this to the ground inside of three episodes and moved on to something else. I mean you can't keep Michael and Janet in a room staring at ticker tape for too long, surely.

There's the alternate universe (bad place) version of season two where they've only just rediscovered each other and Vicky s threatening to tell Shawn.

I'm really looking forward to season 3. Things this well crafted are so rare.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: BritishHobo on February 03, 2018, 07:04:39 AM
At least it's built on that this is only temporary, and their memories will be back when they're returned to the afterlife.

I actually cried when Ted Danson turned around at the bar and threw a towel over his shoulder like he was back in Cheers. I'm a lunatic.

I was filling up a few times in that episode like a soppy schoolgirl, especially at 'the kiss'.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: phantom_power on February 02, 2018, 10:39:53 PM
What happened to Chidi speaking French and it being translated in the Bad Place? Huh? HUH?!

I've seen a ridiculous amount of speculation online about what that might mean, but I've a feeling it's probably just a minor fuck up.

Brundle-Fly

I think the show should finally end with Sam Malone from Cheers waking up, turning to his wife (played by Jessica Lange made to look like an older Eleanor Shellstrop) and saying, "I've just had the weirdest dream.". 

Lange's eyes glow red and she cackles in pure American Horror Story style and says, "It's not a dream. You're in the bad place Sam, where everybody knows your name."

She holds up a burning trident.

Sam looks into camera, "Fork!"

FREMULON LOGO.

Namtab

At least it's built on that this is only temporary, and their memories will be back when they're returned to the afterlife.

I actually cried when Ted Danson turned around at the bar and threw a towel over his shoulder like he was back in Cheers. I'm a lunatic.

How the fuck did I not pick up on that.

CaledonianGonzo

I love this show but it doesn't often make me laugh - that was the first belly laugh it's given me.

Gulftastic

Me too. Sam Malone as a Guardian Angel Devil. I was such a Cheers fan in the 80's.

Dr Rock

I'm a huge Cheers fan too and that bit made me v happy.

phantom_power

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on February 03, 2018, 04:28:19 PM
I've seen a ridiculous amount of speculation online about what that might mean, but I've a feeling it's probably just a minor fuck up.

I don't think it was a fuck-up so much as to retcon what was really just a throwaway joke out of the canon as it wouldn't suit the narrative

McQ

Quote from: phantom_power on February 04, 2018, 05:31:18 PM
I don't think it was a fuck-up so much as to retcon what was really just a throwaway joke out of the canon as it wouldn't suit the narrative

I guess all this talk about how they've got seven seasons mapped out and have consulted with other showrunners about how to avoid the pitfalls of this kind of thing have driven the speculation. If they have it all planned out, they knew they were heading here, so why put in the line about him speaking French? Still might just be a fuck-up, though!

phantom_power

Quote from: McQ on February 04, 2018, 06:59:36 PM
I guess all this talk about how they've got seven seasons mapped out and have consulted with other showrunners about how to avoid the pitfalls of this kind of thing have driven the speculation. If they have it all planned out, they knew they were heading here, so why put in the line about him speaking French? Still might just be a fuck-up, though!

My guess would be that the seven season plan happened somewhere after that line. Did that happen in the pilot?

Bad Ambassador

French is his native first language, but he's also fluent in English.

kidsick5000

Quote from: McQ on February 04, 2018, 06:59:36 PM

In the second series, Chidi still gives Elenor a bunch of philosophy books in French.

phantom_power

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on February 05, 2018, 01:29:27 AM
French is his native first language, but he's also fluent in English.

With no accent? Huh? HUH? I find that very hard to believe. HUH!??!?

jfjnpxmy

Quote from: kidsick5000 on February 05, 2018, 06:25:48 AM
In the second series, Chidi still gives Elenor a bunch of philosophy books in French.

In the [s01e10] flashbacks to when Chidi can't pick teams at school, the signs in the background are also in French.

phantom_power

Well that's it. Fuck this show in its nationality-hopping ear

CaledonianGonzo

If he's been in Sydney for a long time how come his English doesn't have a wee bit of an accent? He never once refers to the toilet as a dunny or to playing knifey-spoony.

phantom_power

It's fucked. It's all just....fucked

Blinder Data

I started to like this but its chirpy tone is hacking me off. I can't help but get the impression the writers are making it up as they go along. Ted Danson is fantastic but it feels like it's going in circles since we found out he was evil and now isn't.

I can't keep up with the latest schemes to save them which are threadbare and nonsensical anyway, seeing as the logic of the Good/Bad Place is all over the place. And every line Tahani delivers is a dud.

Halfway through the second season and I'm still enjoying it.

I've developed a crush on D'arcy Carden, she's absolutely ace as Janet.

Utter Shit

I loved the first series but gave up on the second as it seemed to be rehashing the same stories...worth sticking with?

brat-sampson

Quote from: Utter Shit on March 23, 2018, 09:44:14 PM
I loved the first series but gave up on the second as it seemed to be rehashing the same stories...worth sticking with?

...what? I'm guessing you didn't get that far? I thought the first episode alone dealt with more than many would have expected from a whole season, and from there it somehow kept accelerating. Ok, maybe there was a run early on where things stayed a bit samey, but yeah, I'd definitely suggest continuing.

Dr Rock

When is series three?

kidsick5000

samadriel

Just got into this recently, wonderful show.  NBC have posted a little bit of the first episode of the new season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkfeyCLm3qY

chveik

"Have you ever paid money to hear music performed by California funk rock band The Red Hot Chili Peppers?"
Love this show so far.

brat-sampson

Quote from: Dr Rock on March 23, 2018, 10:00:36 PM
When is series three?

Right now!! The first one's on Netflix and more will go up each week as it airs on NBC in the states.

As is traditional, they launched with a double episode. It's managed to hit the ground running again, made me smile, made me laugh and made me wonder where they're going to take it next. It's the best plotted comedy on TV.

BritishHobo

Fuck I love this show. Such a joy. Like brat, laughing, smiling, utterly gripped. And Ted Danson as lovely as ever.