Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:47:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Good Place

Started by phantom_power, September 21, 2017, 01:12:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Scrapey Fish on October 21, 2018, 08:09:09 PM
My only criticism is that Chidi's physique is way too ripped for his character. The actor should have shown some commitment and stayed out of the gym for six months

I've read a lot of discussion about that over the last few days, apparently Eleanor mentions his surprisingly hot body in season 1 so it ties in with that, but it is odd for a person who's so dedicated to teaching that he found time to visit a gym. On the flip side apparently the actor used to be overweight as a kid and has a lot of issues about his body and was really worried about doing the scene, so I can understand why he didn't want to stop working out.

PlanktonSideburns

I enjoyed chidids hot body and wasn't arsed about the continuity of it

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: Scrapey Fish on October 21, 2018, 08:09:09 PMMy only criticism is that Chidi's physique is way too ripped for his character. The actor should have shown some commitment and stayed out of the gym for six months

Thanks for this. Next time somebody points out that I'm out of shape, I'll explain that it's commitment for a part.

studpuppet

Quote from: BritishHobo on February 03, 2018, 07:04:39 AM
I actually cried when Ted Danson turned around at the bar and threw a towel over his shoulder like he was back in Cheers. I'm a lunatic.

Is it me, or was that actually the Cheers set (or an approximation of it?) with added plasma screens?

Small Man Big Horse

I really loved the latest episode, reminded me of how much I miss The Good Place despite being very fond of where the series is at right now. Intrigued by events with Shaun and co too, and am really looking forward to where the series goes next.

Small Man Big Horse

I really enjoyed the latest one too, there were lots of great moments with Michael McKean and Janet kicking arse was a huge amount of fun. Unfortunately there's a break until December 6th now, and then we won't get the final couple of episodes until January, but I guess I'll somehow survive. I hope.

Penfold

I always know the gap is coming but I still hate it.

Is there a big American ratings thing in January which means the finale needs to be there? When and what is sweeps? Is it now? I think I knew it in the past but then it became Shark Week.

Can't they start the season earlier and wrap it up before the Thanksgiving and beyond holiday period? Maybe double screen the finale with NFL?

Small Man Big Horse

I hate it too, but have grown used to it over the years. Apparently there's now 4 sweeps weeks, in November, February, May and July. No idea why though.

Moribunderast

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 16, 2018, 10:50:30 PM
I really enjoyed the latest one too, there were lots of great moments with Michael McKean and Janet kicking arse was a huge amount of fun. Unfortunately there's a break until December 6th now, and then we won't get the final couple of episodes until January, but I guess I'll somehow survive. I hope.

If it'll cheer you up a bit, I've really enjoyed the last few episodes and found them very funny so your diagnosis of me being broken proved correct but, with proper treatment, I'm back on-board and loving the show. I've said it before but D'arcy Carden is the standout of this show, even with Ted Danson being in excellent form. Her delivery and facial expressions are superb in communicating the character and almost every joke she's given lands perfectly.

Biggest laugh for me this week was Chidi's "How did you make that so fast?!" when Jason produced a molotov. That and Jason's definition of 'evidence'.

Small Man Big Horse

That has cheered me up! And I'd largely agree, it's a show where I love pretty much all of the characters but Janet is my favourite out of all of them, the fight scene this week was amazing stuff.

surreal

Anyone else thinking that the next "twist" will be that there's no-one in the good place at all, or maybe just one or two?

samadriel

Even if this show wasn't funny, I'd stay with it for the story, but thankfully it brings the chuckles too.  That bar fight was superb.  Did anyone else pick that Doug was Michael McKean before they showed his face?  I guess I must have gotten used to the shape of his hair in Better Call Saul or something.

Quote from: surreal on November 20, 2018, 04:06:05 PM
Anyone else thinking that the next "twist" will be that there's no-one in the good place at all, or maybe just one or two?

Consider the example of Mindy St Clair, whose misspent life still led to enough good to trap her between Places.  It could mean that only, say, wealthy philanthropists can earn a spot in the Good Place, but it does suggest that the Good Place can't be empty.

Penfold

Quote from: samadriel on November 21, 2018, 12:43:32 PM
Did anyone else pick that Doug was Michael McKean before they showed his face?  I guess I must have gotten used to the shape of his hair in Better Call Saul or something.

Yes!

I forgot his name though, the longer they kept hiding it the more I though it'd be Better Call Saul/Spinal Tap man, is he very famous enough to warrant that kind of tease? I don't know why I care but if they do that I expect someone outstanding and unexpected rather than noted comedic actor Better Call Saul/Spinal Tap man (who isn't Christopher Guest, as that's always the first name in my head when I think of Spinal Tap people).

samadriel

I think there's been a lot of buzz around him post-BCS, and Spinal Tap bestows automatic legend status, so fair enough.

ishantbekeepingit

Let's not forget that he was also in Laverne and Shirley.

Penfold

Quote from: samadriel on November 21, 2018, 02:06:38 PM
I think there's been a lot of buzz around him post-BCS, and Spinal Tap bestows automatic legend status, so fair enough.

I think I would have preferred it if it was just a badly aged Michael Schur, or if it was just McKean shown from the start without the tease, he doesn't seem like someone who'd be hard to get making it a surprise for the audience.

Quote from: ishantbekeepingit on November 21, 2018, 02:45:50 PM
Let's not forget that he was also in Laverne and Shirley.

Was that ever shown in the UK? I only know it from references in other things like Wayne's World and even then it was years later before I understood it and I still couldn't pick any of the cast from a line-up.

Gulftastic

I remember seeing Lavrne & Shirley as a youth in the late 70's/early 80's, but it never became a staple of UK TV, like it's parent show did.

sillymisslily

Quote from: samadriel on November 21, 2018, 12:43:32 PM
Consider the example of Mindy St Clair, whose misspent life still led to enough good to trap her between Places.  It could mean that only, say, wealthy philanthropists can earn a spot in the Good Place, but it does suggest that the Good Place can't be empty.

Unless Mindy thrived on the company of others so putting her on her own is her own kind of torture. Given that Doug, who's ridiculously altruistic (unless he behaved badly pre-mushroom trip) is going to end up in the Bad Place, it's hard to know what the requirement to get into the Good Place is and if there's anybody there at all.

samadriel

Quote from: sillymisslily on November 21, 2018, 11:39:11 PM
Unless Mindy thrived on the company of others so putting her on her own is her own kind of torture. Given that Doug, who's ridiculously altruistic (unless he behaved badly pre-mushroom trip) is going to end up in the Bad Place, it's hard to know what the requirement to get into the Good Place is and if there's anybody there at all.

Michael is the first demon to come up with the idea of customised Bad Places though, previously it's all been flat-out 'wasps in your nostrils' style torture; plus, pardon me if I'm remembering this wrong, but the way the Bad Place demons broke into Mindy's house is portrayed as kind of illicit, which it wouldn't be if she was simply in a custom Bad Place.  I think we can take the story of Mindy at face value.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: Penfold on November 21, 2018, 03:05:55 PM
I think I would have preferred it if it was just a badly aged Michael Schur, or if it was just McKean shown from the start without the tease, he doesn't seem like someone who'd be hard to get making it a surprise for the audience.

It isn't Michael Schur who is on the picture of Doug. I assumed it too, but it's actually comedian Noah Garfinkel, a writer for The Kroll Show, The New Girl and The President Show, who's a friend of producer Joe Mande.

https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/2018/04/196066/new-girl-noah-garfinkel-the-good-place

Penfold

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on November 22, 2018, 05:15:42 PM
It isn't Michael Schur who is on the picture of Doug. I assumed it too, but it's actually comedian Noah Garfinkel, a writer for The Kroll Show, The New Girl and The President Show, who's a friend of producer Joe Mande.

https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/2018/04/196066/new-girl-noah-garfinkel-the-good-place

WHAT!?!

The world is a lie.

TrenterPercenter

Gave it a go (well up to the ladybird thing) but nah, too schlocky and I didnt find the lead very funny

Also the fork thing just put me in mind of a really bad krypton smeeeegheeeed schtick.

It's the kid of thing my mum would love so I'll reccomend it to her.

mothman

New episode just, er, "dropped" and it's a blinder. D'arcy Carden should pick up a shirt-ton of awards & nominations for it, but I've a feeling it's come too late in the cycle to have a hope in next year's.

Quote from: surreal on November 20, 2018, 04:06:05 PM

Not far off!

Steven Merchant basically playing Steven Merchant again, but it was the kind of character the scenario needed, I guess.

Gulftastic

She's bloody good, isn't she?

Small Man Big Horse

I loved it too, like you say D'arcy Carden's superb in it, I'd love to know how long she'd been working on the impersonations. I guessed that barely anyone would be in The Good Place but not to the extent that it's one person in the last five hundred years (the reveal of which hopefully we'll get in the next episode). I love that they've finally made it to The Good Place as well and look forward to seeing what they do with the concept.

It was a renewed for a fourth season the other day too which makes me shockingly happy, though as much faith as I have in Michael Schur I wouldn't mind if it came to an end either next year or the year after, I wouldn't want it to be a show which starts running out of steam. Bell said a while back that Schur had planned out seven seasons, but I don't know if that's definitely the case.

Edit: Carden had been working on it for the last four months apparently, though Schur came up with the idea a year ago: https://news.avclub.com/the-good-place-s-latest-gambit-was-over-a-year-in-the-m-1830898165

mothman

So was that the season finale? Or is there one more?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: mothman on December 07, 2018, 03:14:37 PM
So was that the season finale? Or is there one more?

There's three more to go but the show's not back until January now.

mothman

Ah, thanks. So several weeks off, show one, then several more weeks off, then show three more. Christ, American TV scheduling is weird.

CaledonianGonzo

The new episode is an absolute cracker.  Prize-winning stuff from yer Janice actor.

surreal

It's had 2 Golden Globes nominations announced this week, Best TV Comedy and Best TV Comedy Actress for Kristen Bell which after the past couple of episodes really seems like the wrong choice