Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:52:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Good Place

Started by phantom_power, September 21, 2017, 01:12:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kngen

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on December 07, 2018, 07:48:29 PM
The new episode is an absolute cracker.  Prize-winning stuff from yer Janice actor.

I'd never previously considered that Janice is the term for more than one Janet, but it does work quite nicely.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: surreal on December 11, 2018, 01:11:42 PM
It's had 2 Golden Globes nominations announced this week, Best TV Comedy and Best TV Comedy Actress for Kristen Bell which after the past couple of episodes really seems like the wrong choice

True, but D'Arcy Carden hadn't had that much to do this season until those episodes which the voters wouldn't have seen, so it is understandable. Hopefully the matter will be rectified next year though.

I'm having withdrawal symptoms already and will miss not waking up to a new episode tomorrow a great deal, I really hope it comes back at the beginning of January rather than the end.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: phantom_power on December 14, 2018, 10:23:44 AM
January 11th I think

I just checked and it's the 10th in the US, and the 11th on Netflix in the UK, so that's good that there's not too long a break.

BritishHobo

My girlfriend's watching season one at the moment and god I hope I'm there when Eleanor realises they're in the Bad Place.

surreal

Re-watching this from the start again while it's off the air, and I'm starting to get another over-arching theory together that it's going to end up being Michael's "Bad Place" experience, in that this is all clearly torture for him trying to make things right for the 4 humans.

kidsick5000

It's been renewed for a fourth season. What weird feeling of yay! And hmmmm that brings.

Brundle-Fly

Took me a couple of episodes to fully click with Season 3 but was sold by the end. Good Guest cameo.  Just realised Donna Shellstrop played by the rather wonderful Leslie Grossman is a new regular in American Horror Story

Blumf

Started watching this, and finally caught up with the episodes and this thread.

It is a lovely show. Exceptionally well cast (Danson and Carden esp.), and a huge amount of ideas being thrown about (like Rick & Morty, without the Pickle Rick fanboys stinking up the place).

My only criticism would be that, surely, as a Moral Philosopher, Chidi (and doubly so once you add in Eleanor with her stubbornness) would have dug deeper into where the moral authority came from for this system, especially for infinite punishment for finite transgressions. But they're probably going to deal with this at some point.

Anyway, bump, because there's new episodes this month.

phantom_power

They keep getting reset though so never gets time to fully comprehend the situation I don't think, and "reality" changes so often there isn't much pause to think it all over

Mister Six

Quote from: Blumf on January 16, 2019, 11:58:35 AM
My only criticism would be that, surely, as a Moral Philosopher, Chidi (and doubly so once you add in Eleanor with her stubbornness) would have dug deeper into where the moral authority came from for this system, especially for infinite punishment for finite transgressions. But they're probably going to deal with this at some point.

Yeah it bothered me that nobody in The Good Place was particularly bothered that they were living it large while others were being tortured to death. Obviously there was a reason for that, and I briefly hoped that the corrupt system hinted at by the head demon might explain why the whole system is so morally bankrupt, but now they've gone in a different direction. Which is fine - it's a more interesting concept anyway - but I do hope this will be addressed down the line (and that they come up with a good explanation for Chidi's apparent lack of concern).

phantom_power

Fuck off, no you're crying!

Brundle-Fly

phantom_power

It was quite an emotional season finale

Brundle-Fly

Ah. Yes, The Good Place has made tear up a few times.

Small Man Big Horse

I thought it was a bit disappointing (at least by this show's standards), they've done the Chidi memory wipe thing before and though it did affect me emotionally it wasn't that funny an episode. They could at least have done a big reveal at the end of who the two other Good Place people will be, or something a little less bittersweet.

olliebean

They usually have a twist at the end of the season, don't they? Maybe that's why this didn't feel like a season finale to me; didn't realise it was until I read it here.

phantom_power

I think this show changes what it is so much that to have a twist to top all that at the end of the season would be too much. It burns through plots so quickly, spending an episode on threads that other shows would drag out over a season.

I thought it was a great episode. Just the right side of soppy and still funny as well. It sets up an intriguing next season as well, with Eleanor having to pretend to be the architect, Chidi being oblivious and whatever horrors Shawn has set up as the other two people in the neighbourhood.

I do have the slight doubt that the show is backing itself into a corner though, highlighting how hard it is to get into The Good Place and how arbitrary the rulings are anyway. I don't know how it can come to a satisfactory conclusion given how the stakes are so high. They are playing with the fates of every soul in existence. I can only presume that they have it all planned out, or at least what the end game is

samadriel

Quote from: phantom_power on January 25, 2019, 01:47:20 PM
Fuck off, no you're crying!

"Huhuhuh... you were moved."

Quote from: phantom_power on January 25, 2019, 11:06:08 PM
I do have the slight doubt that the show is backing itself into a corner though, highlighting how hard it is to get into The Good Place and how arbitrary the rulings are anyway. I don't know how it can come to a satisfactory conclusion given how the stakes are so high. They are playing with the fates of every soul in existence. I can only presume that they have it all planned out, or at least what the end game is

I want major stakes by the end of the show, I want them to save the universe.  I think that's the plan too, there's no point telling us that no-one gets into the Good Place if they're not going to fix it (a much darker show could let it stand, but even then it's a bit of a Chekhov's Gun, it's a glitch itching to be solved).

I didn't mind that this wasn't a particularly funny episode (gossip rag guy vs Tahani aside), the montage Michael shows Chidi and Eleanor was properly affecting, and we're now on the way to an interesting season 4, which I expect will come out of the gate stronger than season 3 did.

BritishHobo

Shit, I thought there was an episode left because Netflix counted the two-part opener as one ep and called this one episode 12. I was assuming we'd get one more episode where we see who the other two people are. Not too bothered though, as I did think it was a really sweet ending and a nice set-up for the next season.

One thing I did wonder, is it really recreating the experiment exactly if they have Tahani, Jason and Chidi there? It's a bit closer now Chidi has no memory, but the three of them also being tortured was part of the whole thing.

kidsick5000

Amazing episode and William Jackson Harper delivered the hell out of those lines.

Have a listen to the podcast. Some nice behind the scenes info - like just how much acting went into the scene where Chidi and Elenor watch the film (more than you might think)

Brundle-Fly

Was a nice surprise to see Marc Evan Jackson (Shawn) make an appearance in season nine of Curb Your Enthusiasm. He's the master of playing snooty, officious characters.

Am I being thick or is Chidi asking for the memory wipe purely so it won't be awkward with bad Australian accent ex, if so that's a bit of a dickhead move like. Destroying your cosy, potentially eternal relationship with the woman you love because you can't hold it together like the other 3, again, am I missing something?

Obviously Eleanor being the architect would make things complicated regardless, and they usually find each other but still, seems selfish from Chidi rather than a selfless act to save them all from eternal torture.

Thought the season was patchy overall but I'm well up for another season.

Nowhere Man

I think I must be confused too because I thought the same thing. If that was the case, Chidi ends up looking like a massive dickhead doesn't he? I kept expecting Eleanor to say how much of an inconsiderate bellend he was being to erase their entire relationship simply for him being uncomfortable around his ex.

Small Man Big Horse

His argument is that he feels he'll definitely screw up, that because he's so anxious at one point he'll make a mistake and that will lead to all of them being tortured in hell for the rest of eternity. Which is in character, at least, but yeah, it's pretty selfish that he couldn't at least try to think of an alternative solution.

phantom_power

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on January 26, 2019, 07:44:22 PM
His argument is that he feels he'll definitely screw up, that because he's so anxious at one point he'll make a mistake and that will lead to all of them being tortured in hell for the rest of eternity. Which is in character, at least, but yeah, it's pretty selfish that he couldn't at least try to think of an alternative solution.

He mentioned trying to think of other alternatives. I think he just knows himself and any chance of blowing this is too big a risk. Remember he didn't break up with her because he didn't love her but to try and protect her from the reality of the situation. He is making a massive sacrifice, even though he is also forcing Eleanor to make one too. She knows, though, that this is the only way as well

Gulftastic

Tahani continues to make me laugh. I love her. And Jason's pizza bit was great, too!

Small Man Big Horse

So given that the new Good Place people are the worst people for our beloved gang, who do you think the final two members will be? Given that the first two were Chidi and Tahani's it'll be for Eleanor and Jason, and unless they conveniently kill someone else off it'll have to be someone already dead, but they could use people we've met before.

BritishHobo

I get it with Chidi - it's one thing to want to try, but when an eternity of torture is at stake, plus the afterlives of all human beings for the rest of time, sometimes it's better to just admit you know you'll screw it up.

For some reason I assumed the last two would be strangers again - I think I thought Maya Rudolph had said that, but I must have imagined it. It'd make sense though, or they'll have to do more memory wipes on the new arrivals.

I'm quite excited though - I'm loving how accurately horrible the nasty gossip-loving prick is, and if they're able to humanise him and make him become a better person as the experiment requires, that should make for a good season.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on January 27, 2019, 12:23:37 PM
So given that the new Good Place people are the worst people for our beloved gang, who do you think the final two members will be? Given that the first two were Chidi and Tahani's it'll be for Eleanor and Jason, and unless they conveniently kill someone else off it'll have to be someone already dead, but they could use people we've met before.
Stone Cold Steve Austin and Blake Bortles? Does Jeremy Bearimy mean they can be from any point in time?