Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:20:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Good Place

Started by phantom_power, September 21, 2017, 01:12:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 27, 2019, 01:12:40 PM
Stone Cold Steve Austin and Blake Bortles? Does Jeremy Bearimy mean they can be from any point in time?

Heh, they would be great if possible, but I don't know about the Jeremy Bearimy side of things.

C_Larence

I would have thought that Eleanor's person will be her Dad. I forget when they last time they saw each other was meant to be, is it sufficiently long enough ago that he conceivably wouldn't recognise her as an adult?

phantom_power

Could Eleanor's be Chidi? Therefore as part of the experiment she can't tell him about their relationship? And they can't use him to teach the others how to be good

paruses

Sorry for being really thick - I watched the last run but with only half an eye on it. It was Ok but didn't really pull me in. As a result I really don't understand what the experiment is. Surely if they're just re-running the experiment to show that people can change for the better then the 4 originals aren't needed at all. Obvs they have to be there because this is a TV programme etc. but just from a scientific standpoint am I right?

Or is it something different?

Bad Ambassador

They need Chidi because someone has to teach the others about moral philospohy.

hummingofevil

Im bit going to read this thread but just to say I've neatly finished Season 1 and I love it and yes it really does make me laugh. Some of the almost throwaway lines are so good. The line about her struggling with couture due to her ample bosoms had me clapping the TV.

Also is there a greater opening scene to anything ever. I howled and howled at the first 3mins.

alan nagsworth

Apologies for the bump - does anyone actually give a fuck about bumps? I don't, and I retract my apology - but I just got done ploughing through all three seasons across the last week or so and fucking loved it. The heart behind this thing is enormous and it's just so bloody lovely. I've watched it through a couple or three hangovers and it's been such a source of comfort. I struggled with it at first because of the twee vibe and the CGI which I found jarring and annoying but once I got stuck into it, it's just such a wonderfully realised thing. There is so much attention to detail in every scene.

People in here have bemoaned it for being a "comedy that isn't very funny" which is confusing to me because I don't think that matters. Some of it does me make me laugh a lot personally but even so, I don't see why it has to be outright hilarious when the plot is so compelling and intelligent. It is a great television program. Just done a big old cry at the season three finale and can't waaaaiiit for more.

Also want to echo all the love for D'arcy Carden. The Janet(s) episode was fantastic, she played a perfect impersonation of the four others. Her Jason in particular was absolutely bang on. Very very strong talent.

PlanktonSideburns

yea the cgi and crazy twee colour palate are really nicely realized, cant wait for next series

also, that was fucking bang out of order bumping this thread, you reckless twat

alan nagsworth

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on May 19, 2019, 11:58:50 PM
also, that was fucking bang out of order bumping this thread, you reckless twat

Straight to the Bad Place for me when I die I bet!! HAHA!

<does animated Ted Danson little boogie movement>

PlanktonSideburns

reported to moderator

easytarget

Quote from: alan nagsworth on May 19, 2019, 11:48:50 PM
People in here have bemoaned it for being a "comedy that isn't very funny"
"wrap it up, Elton John"

fuck off (not you Nags) it's *very* fucking funny.

Icehaven

Very late to the party as always but just ploughed all 3 in a week, absolutely loved it and can't wait for S4. I also think Eleanor's Dad will be one of the new subjects.

As much as I've loved it and think the performances of all the main cast are terrific in their own right, my main criticism would be that there's absolutely zero chemistry between Chidi and Eleanor. They worked brilliantly as chalk and cheese stuck together but finding they actually got on and became close, but I wasn't convinced by or invested in their romantic relationship one bit and I think it'd have been better if they'd remained platonic best friends. Apart from the odd clinch the sentimental film bit at the end could even have stayed virtually the same.

peanutbutter

For whatever reason, the last wave of episodes put me off a lot. I can't remember them (beyond Ted Danson giving some gatekeeper guy a gift? And Adam Scott in a few), but they just fell totally flat for me. Actually unsure if I saw the 2 episodes that aired after christmas....

Icehaven

Re; Clues from the get-go that they weren't in the real good place - iirc they never address the fact that nearly everyone (including the main 4) are very young to be dead. Unless I missed it there's no mention of anything like everyone reverting to their younger selves after death, and some people (e.g. the couple that temporarily move in with Eleanor and Chidi in S1) are older anyway. Bit of a giveaway how almost no one in heaven seems to have made it past 40.

Just realised that 3 of the 4 of them died by being squashed by something too, nice.

selectivememory

Quote from: peanutbutter on August 01, 2019, 11:50:52 PM
For whatever reason, the last wave of episodes put me off a lot. I can't remember them (beyond Ted Danson giving some gatekeeper guy a gift? And Adam Scott in a few), but they just fell totally flat for me. Actually unsure if I saw the 2 episodes that aired after christmas....

Yeah, I rapidly lost interest in it during this latest run. Turned out to be a show that was completely dependent on having an interesting and surprising plot, and when that kind of fizzled out at the start of Season 3, the characters just weren't interesting or funny enough to sustain interest. The tedious sub-plot where they were going around trying to help people from their lives get into the Good Place was the point at which I checked out completely.

I might try and watch it again though, given that they're ending the show after the next season, because at least then there's a chance it could become tighter and more focused again. It really did feel to me that during the third season they were just dragging it out as much as possible. And I really did enjoy the first two seasons.

Edit: I did actually watch the multiple Janets episode though, because people were raving so much about it, and that was very good.

olliebean

Quote from: icehaven on August 02, 2019, 09:13:33 AM
Re; Clues from the get-go that they weren't in the real good place - iirc they never address the fact that nearly everyone (including the main 4) are very young to be dead. Unless I missed it there's no mention of anything like everyone reverting to their younger selves after death, and some people (e.g. the couple that temporarily move in with Eleanor and Chidi in S1) are older anyway. Bit of a giveaway how almost no one in heaven seems to have made it past 40.

If you'd been paying attention to how people vote, you'd know that all old people are cunts and definitely end up in the Other Place.