Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:06:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Good Place

Started by phantom_power, September 21, 2017, 01:12:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amnesiac

I have so many mixed feelings about this show. I think I like it, but each episode is so damn short sometimes it feels like nothing happened.

Cons
===
I HATE the bowlderised swearing FUCKING hate it it's the worth thing. I hate it.
The Frozen voice main lady is terribly miscast, she is the worst thing about it apart from above. I just can not buy into her being that hellraiser/ alchy shitface she is awful and I hate her face.

Pros
===
Ted Danson is good.
Cheedie actor is the best.

kidsick5000

Quote from: amnesiac on October 27, 2017, 02:25:37 PM
Cons
===
I HATE the bowlderised swearing FUCKING hate it it's the worth thing. I hate it.

Sooo, you could see why not being able to swear properly would be frustrating to someone used to swearing?
How in a place designed to make them miserable, it would be an extra irritation?

amnesiac

Quote from: kidsick5000 on October 27, 2017, 03:16:27 PM
Sooo, you could see why not being able to swear properly would be frustrating to someone used to swearing?
How in a place designed to make them miserable, it would be an extra irritation?

yes!

Have you just made a point or something, I can't work out what you're up to.

touchingcloth

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on October 23, 2017, 12:45:56 PM
Jianyu Li. Apparently he turns out to be from the US but I haven't watched enough to know if he maintains his accent or if that's a gag or what.

Quote from: phantom_power on October 23, 2017, 04:43:02 PM
Yeah, he is either full-on Florida or silent, depending on whether he is Jason or Jian-Yu.

The actor was raised in Canada according to wiki and, believe it or not, that's a damn good take on a typical Floridian accent. Maybe your issue with it is that the typical accent in US TV and film for Jason's archetype is Californian, so it might be that his spaced out Florida stoner drawl is close enough to California fratboy to be recognisable, but far enough away that it comes off like a pastiche.

Ferris

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 27, 2017, 04:25:08 PM
The actor was raised in Canada according to wiki and, believe it or not, that's a damn good take on a typical Floridian accent. Maybe your issue with it is that the typical accent in US TV and film for Jason's archetype is Californian, so it might be that his spaced out Florida stoner drawl is close enough to California fratboy to be recognisable, but far enough away that it comes off like a pastiche.

I appreciate the stretch to meet me half way but it's deffo a case of me not paying enough attention to know characters names so I'm probably thinking of someone else (or possibly another tv show altogether). I'm (British &) Canadian working for an American company so I can spot a dodgy accent a mile away - I'm probably misremembering things because I'm an idiot.

I think I'm destined not to get this show, alas :( shame because I liked parks and rec & Kimmy Schmidt and I thought this had a similar vibe. Maybe I'll give it another go

touchingcloth

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on October 27, 2017, 04:50:11 PM
I appreciate the stretch to meet me half way but it's deffo a case of me not paying enough attention to know characters names so I'm probably thinking of someone else (or possibly another tv show altogether). I'm (British &) Canadian working for an American company so I can spot a dodgy accent a mile away - I'm probably misremembering things because I'm an idiot.

I think I'm destined not to get this show, alas :( shame because I liked parks and rec & Kimmy Schmidt and I thought this had a similar vibe. Maybe I'll give it another go

Things didn't click for me until a few episodes in, and the consensus of this thread and others I've spoken to seems to be that it doesn't become compelling viewing until midway through the first series. It's definitely worth another go I reckon, but hey, if you don't like it you don't like it. It is what it is. Nowt so queer as folk. Hearts and minds. Humpday.

BritishHobo

Surprisingly sweet episode, that. And a massive grin on my face due to a certain comedian turning up.

Ja'moke

Quote from: amnesiac on October 27, 2017, 02:25:37 PM
I have so many mixed feelings about this show. I think I like it, but each episode is so damn short sometimes it feels like nothing happened.

Cons
===
The Frozen voice main lady is terribly miscast, she is the worst thing about it apart from above. I just can not buy into her being that hellraiser/ alchy shitface she is awful and I hate her face.

Pros
===
Ted Danson is good.
Cheedie actor is the best.

What kind of psychopath hates Kristen Bell and her face.

kidsick5000

Quote from: BritishHobo on October 27, 2017, 08:12:28 PM
Surprisingly sweet episode, that. And a massive grin on my face due to a certain comedian turning up.

The NBC MVP. He is genuinely one of my favourite comedy actors. I even put up with The House because of him (even though i was on a flight)

Small Man Big Horse

Charming stuff once again, but I read afterwards that that's it for this year, as NBC will be showing the fucking football on Thursday nights instead of their comedy block, and so we'll have to wait until January for the next chapter.

Alberon

Arsebiscuits!

Still, I suppose it explains that cliffhanger.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 03, 2017, 09:40:46 PM
Charming stuff once again, but I read afterwards that that's it for this year, as NBC will be showing the fucking football on Thursday nights instead of their comedy block, and so we'll have to wait until January for the next chapter.

They did the same for season 1, and I guess that's how they are able to keep it on the air. They just have 13 half-hours, they don't have to put some filler material, they change the plot if their order had been reduced or augmented. And it leaves time for the leads to do other projects while they may have not committed otherwise.

Moribunderast

Have really gone off this one through the second series, so far. It's just not funny. I like the people involved creatively and I like Danson and Bell but the episodes barely raise a chuckle from me. Even when there's good lines they usually don't land upon delivery. The lead ensemble is okay but the characters themselves feel like non-starters. Usually by now a sitcom is finding it's characters/actors' strengths and honing in on them but I still feel like characters like Chidi and the posh brit one are failing to deliver any comedy while the Jersey Monk gets some good lines but his delivery does nothing for me.

I do generally like the plotting and episodes are fluffy and short enough to keep watching for the story but as a comedy it's a real disappointment, I think. Of that NBC comedy block (bearing in mind I don't watch Will & Grace) it's the last show I bother with, after getting genuine laughs from Great News and Superstore.

Scrapey Fish

I agree with the comment above unfortunately. I thought the first season was phenomenal in successfully mixing hilarious comedy with cliffhanger plotting. In the second season, aside from a few moments it seems to have completely lost its humour and I don't care about the characters now that they've been reset.

kngen

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 22, 2017, 11:10:12 AM
Chidi recounting Michael talking about Victor Hugo's fate had me in stitches sacré bleu, je suis just pissed in m'pants.

Yes! That had me laughing days afterwards every time I thought of it.  Also, the callback to Chidi's friend's horrible boots. Fuck, I love this show.

Ja'moke

I'm actually finding S2 funnier than S1 so far. I never laughed out loud during the first series, but have done a few times during these recent episodes.

remedial_gash

Quote from: Ja'moke on November 18, 2017, 01:21:58 PM
I'm actually finding S2 funnier than S1 so far. I never laughed out loud during the first series, but have done a few times during these recent episodes.

Tend to agree, s1 was compelling rather than funny, at least s2 is amusing in parts and the reset and switcheroo gave it legs.

Small Man Big Horse

selectivememory

Ah, this show is amazing. I started it last week, loved the pilot, but then wasn't really blown away by the next four or five episodes. But the first season gets better and better as it goes on, and the twist is just great (especially if you don't see it coming).

Season 2 has just been sustained brilliance so far - loved all the false starts in the first three chapters especially. It's brimming with great ideas and it's very difficult to predict what will happen. Admittedly Tahani and Jason can be a bit annoying at times, but Eleanor, Chidi and Janet are all fantastic. Definitely think the second season has been much funnier than the first.

Also, Ted Danson.

Bit frustrated that we have to wait until January until the rest of the season. But great news that there'll be a third.

Brundle-Fly

I really loved this. Some great ideas, one-liners, occasionally quite affecting and just so lovely to look at. Don't have a problem with any of the cast although I do find Jason's diction a little difficult to understand at times. The 'needles' reveal, the new boyfriend's way of screeching Bye, some funny fart jokes and Michael coming back as a tasty sweet had me roaring.

Small Man Big Horse

Just in case people weren't aware this returned for the second part of the season last night. It's filled with loveliness once again, and I've now decided if Ted Danson doesn't win an Emmy for his performance this year I'm going to slaughter every single member of the academy.  And that includes a lot of people I like a great deal. His roast of the gang was the highlight, but seeing his plan unfold in general was funny, funny stuff, and I can't wait to see where the series goes next.

Also: The AV Club published an interview with Jameela Jamil yesterday which is a fun read - https://www.avclub.com/jameela-jamil-suggests-you-take-all-your-good-place-spo-1821504551 - and also includes a link to her presenting showreel, which contains a very very creepy Pierce Brosnan drooling all over her - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhUdXrmeYNU

selectivememory

Thanks for the heads up. I'd forgotten about this. Going to get on it right away.

brat-sampson

I don't always gel with Jason's brand of stupid, but his 'I think we gotta go to the cops.' 'What cops? Where do you think we are?!' really got me.

Alberon

Oh, I loved that line and the episode. Great to see this show back.

kidsick5000

A little Mantzoukas goes a long way.
'Maximum Derek'

Moribunderast

I'd kinda gone off this show (as an earlier post explained) to the point where I had to talk myself into watching this episode but I'm very glad I did - really funny, clever stuff. I could have done maybe without the over-explaining of the clues at the end but there were some lovely jokes and performances this week. As SMBH said, Danson was remarkable but Janet had me giggling throughout. Her drunk acting is very good.

Jason Mantzoukas should be in every comedy show. Thankfully, he's in most of them. He makes every line he's given absolutely hilarious, even if it's just repeating a name.

Good stuff, I'm back on board with this show.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Moribunderast on January 06, 2018, 11:39:25 AM
really funny, clever stuff.

It was the kind of clever you'd usually expect in some smart heist film. (which reading it back is one of the dumbest-sounding things I have ever written)
I hope there were other non-highlighted clues on screen.

BritishHobo

I love how plot-heavy the show is willing to be. It could easily fill a season with the plot from one episode, but it's absolutely ploughing through the story at an amazing place, and I'm glad for that. It makes it exciting.

Ja'moke

Janet is such a great comedy creation and D'Arcy Carden nails the performance every time.