Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:22:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Good Place

Started by phantom_power, September 21, 2017, 01:12:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: BritishHobo on January 06, 2018, 03:10:19 PM
I love how plot-heavy the show is willing to be. It could easily fill a season with the plot from one episode, but it's absolutely ploughing through the story at an amazing place, and I'm glad for that. It makes it exciting.

Agreed, similar to Silicon Valley in that regard.

selectivememory

I liked that episode, but found some of it a little sub-par compared to some of the plot-heavy episodes from earlier in this season. It just felt a little phoned-in at the end with the explanation of all of Michael's hints (from a writing perspective; performances were all great, obviously). I dunno. I guess I was expecting something a little bigger/better.

But yeah, I am loving how this second season in particular just seems to give the whole set-up a good shake every other episode, and we have to deal with a whole new reality. And yes, Jason's obliviousness through all of it is very funny. The "cops" line was a cracker.

Namtab

I'm in the weird situation where I find the majority of this mildly amusing at best but am utterly gripped by the mythology and forward momentum on the plot.

And yes, Ted Danson is obviously fantastic too.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Namtab on January 09, 2018, 06:44:15 PM
I'm in the weird situation where I find the majority of this mildly amusing at best but am utterly gripped by the mythology and forward momentum on the plot.

And yes, Ted Danson is obviously fantastic too.

Not weird, I feel much the same. I absolutely love this show for many reasons above the actual comedy element.

Bad Janet farting always makes me guffaw though. Pathetic, really.

Mobbd

I started watching against my better judgement (I didn't like the look of it, despite having a fondness for latter-day Danson a la Bored to Death and Curb) but soon found myself sucked in and gobbling each episode down. Blasted through Season 1.

Season 2, however, is trash and I'm surprised so many of the connoisseurs at Cook'd and Bomb'd are into it. Ted Danson's crises are fucking hack. And fuck all of the new, thinly-written assholes like Real Elanor and the bitey guy who are now crowding the screen.

What started out as surprisingly restrained given the high concept is now manic, unwatchable pap.

I'd have been perfectly happy if they'd actually gone through with the reset and told the whole story again with some sort of key difference to set us off on a different trajectory.

Hello! by the way. First time poster. I am wanking as I write this, etc.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Mobbd on January 12, 2018, 01:13:54 PM
I started watching against my better judgement (I didn't like the look of it, despite having a fondness for latter-day Danson a la Bored to Death and Curb) but soon found myself sucked in and gobbling each episode down. Blasted through Season 1.

Season 2, however, is trash and I'm surprised so many of the connoisseurs at Cook'd and Bomb'd are into it. Ted Danson's crises are fucking hack. And fuck all of the new, thinly-written assholes like Real Elanor and the bitey guy who are now crowding the screen.

What started out as surprisingly restrained given the high concept is now manic, unwatchable pap.

I'd have been perfectly happy if they'd actually gone through with the reset and told the whole story again with some sort of key difference to set us off on a different trajectory

Hello! by the way. First time poster. I am wanking as I write this, etc.

Ah, I think we'll just never agree on this as the things you hate I find really funny. Given everything which happened in last night's episode though you may get your wish concerning a very different trajectory, it's certainly made me even more excited about the series than I already was.

selectivememory

Loved that episode. I was briefly concerned that they might have written themselves into a corner with the developments in the previous episode, but now I cannot wait to see where it's going to go next. Does make me wonder how they're going to pull off another season of this though, given the amount of ideas they're burning through at the moment.

Enrico Palazzo

Really enjoyed the first series. Gave up on the second after a few episodes. Seemed like they didn't have a clue where to go with it at that point.

olliebean

Quote from: selectivememory on January 12, 2018, 04:48:55 PM
Loved that episode. I was briefly concerned that they might have written themselves into a corner with the developments in the previous episode, but now I cannot wait to see where it's going to go next. Does make me wonder how they're going to pull off another season of this though, given the amount of ideas they're burning through at the moment.

I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that they had a five season plan for it (it might even have been seven), so I presume they've got enough ideas in the bag to carry it through.

Small Man Big Horse

According to Cinema Blend, Kristen Bell said: https://www.cinemablend.com/television/1635110/how-many-seasons-the-good-place-showrunner-has-planned-according-to-kristen-bell

QuoteI have heard the pitch for season two and season three. Because much like the finale... before I signed on to the project he sat me down and said, 'Here's what I want to do with the whole season.' And because he's a great creator and he said, 'I feel irresponsible giving an actor this job and pulling the rug out from under them in the finale and changing the whole show, so I want you to know what's going to happen. And then you can decide if you want the part.' So we had the whole thing planned out, and because it's such a weird show, because there are these unearthly, heavenly elements, and different places you can go, he wants to do the whole thing. So he actually pitched me the second season, the third season, and whatever the seventh season would be. His brain is bigger than I could ever imagine.

zomgmouse

A friend got me to watch the first episode of this and I had a few laughs but it just felt very... American. I get that it's an artificial world but it still feels incredibly sheeny and that put me off. Is it worth sticking with? I'm not sure I'd bother.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: zomgmouse on January 13, 2018, 10:02:01 PM
A friend got me to watch the first episode of this and I had a few laughs but it just felt very... American. I get that it's an artificial world but it still feels incredibly sheeny and that put me off. Is it worth sticking with? I'm not sure I'd bother.

Yes, and it just gets better and better as the series goes on imho.

CaledonianGonzo

I don't find it especially funny, but in terms if plot, twists and cliff hangers it's well worth sticking with.

remedial_gash

Um yeah still keeping up and enjoying the potential - just a heads up that Jameela was on the JV podcast with Janet Varney around Christmas and is a delight.

https://nerdist.com/the-jv-club-265-jameela-jamil/

kidsick5000

Quote from: remedial_gash on January 18, 2018, 04:07:45 AM
Um yeah still keeping up and enjoying the potential - just a heads up that Jameela was on the JV podcast with Janet Varney around Christmas and is a delight.

https://nerdist.com/the-jv-club-265-jameela-jamil/

She's very entertaining on Instagram. Much more open than the average celeb

phantom_power

Another great episode. They are really burning through the plot now. Most shows would have had half a season navigating the bad place

Ja'moke

This week's episode was ace. Maybe the funniest they've done, tons of background gags too. And once again they've shaken up the plot.

kidsick5000

Quote from: phantom_power on January 19, 2018, 11:00:22 PM
Another great episode. They are really burning through the plot now. Most shows would have had half a season navigating the bad place

It's amazing isn't it. In another show, they'd have only just rediscovered the truth of the place.
I don't know if it's that mid-life thing that you well up more easily but Ted Danson gave me the ol' hot eyes in that episode

Dr Rock

Love this. Gorged on most of both seasons in two days. Can't believe I didn't guess the twist at the end of season one, it was pretty guessable in retrospect, but I suppose watching them so quickly it didn't occur to me. Like a couple of others here, thought I'd guessed that the twist in season two would be that this was the Bad Place for Danson's character, but that was mentioned in the second or third episode as one of the ways the team had tried to defeat him, by convincing him this was the case, so seems unlikely that will be a twist now.

I'm on episode 8, Season 2 so had been avoiding this thread in case of spoilers, but haven't read anything that has given away what happens in the rest of the season, I don't think.

The show is like an episode of Black Mirror which is better and funnier. Recommending it to all and sundry.

Moribunderast

Another cracking episode. Considering I had gone quite cold on the show during the second season I'm really impressed with how it's turned around in the last few episodes. Jokes have been landing for me with more regularity and the main characters are actually feeling funny and well-performed, like the writers and actors are finally honing in on what works. Chidi and Jason hadn't provided me with any laughs up until recently but both have been in good form lately. Janet remains the funniest - D'arcy Carden is a revelation in this show.

Plot-wise, I can only echo everybody's marveling at the sheer pace they're getting through things. So much has happened in just the last few weeks and I'm sure they've got another great twist or cliffhanger awaiting in the finale next week. I'll be sad to see it go just as I'm starting to really get on with it.

selectivememory

Another brilliant episode. I just think this second season has been great from start to finish.

I was encouraged when I read in this thread that they have a seven season plan, as they're using up ideas in the space of an episode that would sustain other shows for ages.

I've never found it uproariously funny, although it has some very funny moments. But this episode had some great jokes. One of my favourite recurring ones is Jason's complete lack in comprehension of what is going on.

Small Man Big Horse

I enjoyed that a lot, unless it turns out to be a trick and another simulation. And even then I'd have faith in Schur and co to pull it off.

My theories for season 3:
1 - 4 - Set back on Earth with Michael providing a director's commentary / the odd prod.
5 - 6 - Back with the Judge where it's decided the system is broken and millions should have gone to heaven.
7 - 11 - Our beloved gang's finally in The Good Place, though it's not what they expected given the overcrowding / mentally damaged souls who were unfairly tortured in hell for so long.
12 - God (Laura Dern) quits, leaving Eleanor in charge

See you back in a year where I'm clearly clearly going to be absolutely right about all of the above!

kidsick5000

I'd put money on your No 12 coming true

Dr Rock

They've been in The Good Place the whole time, there is no Bad Place. The Good Place is where everyone gets to develop into a better person, despite what hand they were dealt in life.

Just a theory, probably full of flaws like how come we see Danson's character interact with people outside of the main group of humans? I'll call it anyway, because the Bad Place seems too unfair, as does there not being loads of intermediate levels for people who were pretty good, but not saints.

Of the members here, who would get in the Good Place? I reckon Kelvin.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Dr Rock on February 02, 2018, 09:26:59 PM
Of the members here, who would get in the Good Place? I reckon Kelvin.

Given how the system works and only the very best people get in to heaven, I don't think any of us would even come close.

phantom_power

What happened to Chidi speaking French and it being translated in the Bad Place? Huh? HUH?!

spamwangler

its fucking good this, i really like it

Penfold

Quote from: phantom_power on February 02, 2018, 10:39:53 PM
What happened to Chidi speaking French and it being translated in the Bad Place? Huh? HUH?!

I wondered that during the first season when Chidi was talking to his Australian colleague. It makes sense he can speak English if he works in Australia but he has an oddly American accent.

Also, where was Michael's neighbourhood? It wasn't in The Bad Place as they had to get a train there, and it wasn't in the Medium or Good Place either. I'm overthinking it.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I assume they're not really back in the real world.

As endings go, it's a good place (ha) to leave things for the time being. It is a bit annoying that they've once again ended a series by essentially wiping the character development though.

BritishHobo

At least it's built on that this is only temporary, and their memories will be back when they're returned to the afterlife.

I actually cried when Ted Danson turned around at the bar and threw a towel over his shoulder like he was back in Cheers. I'm a lunatic.