Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:56:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

You're the Worst Season 4

Started by phantom_power, September 21, 2017, 01:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

A really strong start to the season I thought. The end of episode 2 (3?) particularly was hilarious and heartbreaking in equal measure. The cast, writers and director really know how to get that balance right

I look forward to the 3 or 4 posts that follow in this thread before it is criminally forgotten about

veletision

It's a tremendous show.

I'm glad Raymond Barry was only in one episode though. He's a truly awful actor.

Small Man Big Horse

Absolutely adore this but haven't seen any of season 4 so far, which I need to remedy asap.

phantom_power

Nah, he is great at playing irascible old fuckers

Moribunderast

I've been really enjoying this season. Maybe not as strong as seasons 2 & 3 but it still has some nice emotional beats and enough laughs. I felt compelled to dredge up the thread though because this week's episode was fucking great. They really excel at these episodes where they isolate a character and focus on their plight. Gretchen is probably the strongest character in the show for these episodes (because she feels the most well-rounded and because Aya Cash is just brilliant in the role) and this might be my favourite such episode following her. Really heartfelt and subtly devastating. It's horrible how Jimmy has crushed her and I'm liking that the show has made no real attempt to redeem him - if anything, he's only become worse, reveling in his narcissism as a coping mechanism while pushing away Edgar and weirdly embracing his cunty MRA mates. It's interesting to see a show take it's "lovable" antihero and lean so heavily into his flaws as to make him deeply unsympathetic. By this point the only warmth in Jimmy is the light touch brought from Chris Geere's performance. Gretchen obviously is a very foul character in many ways but there's such a broken vulnerability to her that, as a viewer, you forgive a lot of her worst moments. This latest episode certainly added some worst moments along with exposing more of her vulnerabilities.

In summation: That episode was great and this show is still one of the finer things on television.

phantom_power

A great episode and a devastating ending.

phantom_power

Holy shit that latest episode went to some dark places, with Edgar and then Gretchen at the end

kidsick5000

It can get to be an endurance test.
They all start off each season being amiably crap and then each one goes way past the title description.

Edgar needs rescuing.

Both Becca and Lindsay deserve to have something awful befall them.

phantom_power

Interesting seeing Lucy Montgomery pop up in the last two. The show is going to some really dark places though. Gretchen waking up mid-blackout last week being possibly the worst

Moribunderast

Yeah, in a show that quite consistently shocks me with where it goes, that was a really shocking moment. I've seen a bit of commentary lamenting this season as a step down from previous, citing a seeming lack of direction. I don't really agree with that - it's still got it's arcs that are playing out. I think the main difference is that seasons 2 and 3 focused on issues that the characters were fighting up out of (Edgar and Gretchen's various mental health struggles) whereas this season has really lingered on them actively getting worse with each decision, bar maybe Lindsay. Gretchen, Jimmy and Edgar have all gone to some toxic places now that their status quo has been ruined and the show is letting them languish there rather than offering up much hope. It's going to be interesting to see how it plays out. Gretchen and Edgar's arcs seem particularly hopeless and, in Edgar's case, really cruel.

phantom_power

Yeah this season is all over the place but that is because the characters are as well. They were all brought together by Jimmy and Gretchen's relationship or their relationship as individuals and now that is over and the pair are spiralling out of control, their friends are too. I am sure it will resolve to something by the end of the season

phantom_power

I recognised the female friend of Lucy Montgomery that she and Jimmy hung out with in the last episode. Does anyone know where I might have seen her? IMDB is no help

S'Okay, got it

Small Man Big Horse

We're going to get a fifth season, but it'll be the final one: https://www.avclub.com/fxx-orders-a-fifth-and-final-season-of-youre-the-worst-1820480812

Also, I noticed in the episode where Gretchen goes home that her parents might be Scientologists, as the partially hidden dvd suggests:

Has that ever been mentioned before?

phantom_power

I think another season would be enough. I liked this season more than others but do feel there isn't much more they can do with these characters.

A good end to a season that was (deliberately I think) a bit all over the place. Now Jimmy and Gretchen are together again hopefully they can pull out one more cohesive, killer season to finish their story

arpster

should've ended after the first season....its been shite ever since

veletision

The Season 5 premiere is up ahead of it's TV debut on Wednesday.

I would strongly recommend that you skip it and wait for episode 2. There's nothing essential to the plot.

I love the show but this was truly one of the worst episodes of a good show in a long time and I can't fathom how it made it all the way to air.

Hyperbole? Maybe

Bad? Most definitely.

13 schoolyards

Nah, the show has always poked fun at rom-com cliches and often (well, s4 at least) the opening episodes have been a bit off-brand. This may not have been remotely essential plot-wise but I found it a lot of fun, both during the opening cheesy rom-com stage and then later on as Jimmy and Gretchen finally showed up and just started throwing cliches onto the pile.

Plus 90s hacker jokes never get old.

olliebean

Quote from: veletision on January 05, 2019, 03:14:10 PM
The Season 5 premiere is up ahead of it's TV debut on Wednesday.

Up where? Can't see it in the usual places.

phantom_power

I thought it was great, and got bonus points for having a McCarthy song in it

j_u_d_a_s

Not the first time YTW has deviated from its usual setup. LCD Soundsystem from s2 did much the same thing as this opener did by only showing Jimmy and Gretchen about 2/3rds the way through and delivering one of the most bleak endings. Thought the S5 opener was a brilliant little conceptual ep with an affectionate tribute to 90s rom coms complete with that slacker/nerd fantasy fulfilment. As way of introducing this season's arc, Jimmy and Gretchen getting married, I thought it was great. Maybe would have gone over better if it was a mid season ep but really at this point YTW has more than earned the privilege of doing something unexpected for me.

olliebean

I really hope they're going to subvert this and not end with the wedding. Wedding finales can fuck off, frankly.

Ant Farm Keyboard

At least, they're back with the tone of the early seasons. Decent comedy, the four major characters do share scenes together, mean-spirited but still entertaining tone.

The show had almost lost me during the third and fourth seasons. Too many "very special episodes" where they handled heavy themes such as depression or PTSD and forgot in the process it was still a comedy.

Plus, there's Maria Thayer in a small part but with a separate title in the end credits (same as with Samira Wiley, who plays the shrink), which suggests the character will return in other episodes. I don't mind Maria Thayer on TV, especially as Those Who Can't also airs these days, as it puts an end to the Great Maria Thayer Drought of 2018.

phantom_power

I loved the "very special episodes". The ones that dealt with Gretchen's depression were heartbreaking, some of the best TV I have seen, and still funny as well

Ant Farm Keyboard

The mistake was to make everybody miserable after these episodes. The point of season 4 might have been to show how lost and despicable the characters could be without the others, but I think that they went too far, too long. Stephen Falk got a lot of praise for the depiction of PTSD on the show (while it isn't actually that groundbreaking, it's just that America forgets after each war what was already shown in The Best Years of Our Lives 70 years ago), and did a little too much "prestige TV" for my tastes

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on January 17, 2019, 09:09:23 PM
At least, they're back with the tone of the early seasons. Decent comedy, the four major characters do share scenes together, mean-spirited but still entertaining tone.

The show had almost lost me during the third and fourth seasons. Too many "very special episodes" where they handled heavy themes such as depression or PTSD and forgot in the process it was still a comedy.

Plus, there's Maria Thayer in a small part but with a separate title in the end credits (same as with Samira Wiley, who plays the shrink), which suggests the character will return in other episodes. I don't mind Maria Thayer on TV, especially as Those Who Can't also airs these days, as it puts an end to the Great Maria Thayer Drought of 2018.

I too struggled through the Great Maria Thayer Drought of 2018 and ended up rewatching Eagleheart to survive. Which was great, but I'm glad she's now properly back on our screens.

I partially agree with you about the above, I loved season 3 but struggled with 4 a little, and like you am really glad it's now a lot more upbeat. Though I don't completely trust the show so expect more bumps in the road before the ending.

Also: Kether Donohue followed me on twitter today, which I'm sure proves she loves me and one day we'll be married. And I've checked with Mrs SMBH and she's a-okay with a bit of polygamy as long as the other person is famous.

Ant Farm Keyboard

There will definitely be bumps in the road, and I prefer that to innocent shenanigans. What I don't want is Stephen Falk assuming he's doing BoJack Horseman and has full insight on human nature. BoJack Horseman can get away with a lot of stuff, including huge tonal shifts, because it's animated, and they established early on they would deal with many dark issues. You're the Worst had pushed beyond its limits during season 4, which had a mean streak and could be boring at some points, which is actually much worse to me.

Thayer's 2018 onscreen presence was reduced to a small part in the "real" series finale to Ghosted. I guess it was due to the Andy Blitz connection, as the Blitz brothers tend to use her in a lot of their projects.

Congratulations for Ms Donohue. My biggest internet catch so far is being retweeted by Jenny Lewis. Which doesn't seem to prove anything.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on January 17, 2019, 11:07:02 PM
There will definitely be bumps in the road, and I prefer that to innocent shenanigans. What I don't want is Stephen Falk assuming he's doing BoJack Horseman and has full insight on human nature. BoJack Horseman can get away with a lot of stuff, including huge tonal shifts, because it's animated, and they established early on they would deal with many dark issues. You're the Worst had pushed beyond its limits during season 4, which had a mean streak and could be boring at some points, which is actually much worse to me.

I think I preferred it to you a little bit but I do agree with your comments in general, it reminds me of Six Feet Under in some ways which started quirky, then got dark, and then season 4 was horrible as it was so bleak, before season 5 took a much more lighter tone again and I hope the same applies with this.

QuoteThayer's 2018 onscreen presence was reduced to a small part in the "real" series finale to Ghosted. I guess it was due to the Andy Blitz connection, as the Blitz brothers tend to use her in a lot of their projects.

Yeah, I remember watching that and hoping she might somehow become a series regular, but then being disappointed when it didn't happen.

QuoteCongratulations for Ms Donohue. My biggest internet catch so far is being retweeted by Jenny Lewis. Which doesn't seem to prove anything.

Technically it's the comedy blog I run which she followed as I'd reviewed the show, but I still think it definitely proves she fancies me.

phantom_power

Episode 2 was hilarious. It definitely seems more like a season 1 or 2 episode with the awfulness dialled down a couple of notches. I will be quite happy if it ends with a wedding as I feel these two characters have been through so much that they deserve some happiness, despite being awful people. Also, it is almost expected that they will fuck it up along the way so a happy ending would almost be against expectation

I hope we see more of Becca and her dumb husband

Moribunderast

New episode was very good - starting with a particularly gross joke for a US sitcom and ending on a very intriguing note.

I'm not crazy about another series of Edgar being bullied in the workplace but Paul F. Tompkins is pretty inspired casting and the concept of him good-naturedly forcing Edgar to eat and drink things he doesn't like is very funny, mainly because it's Paul F. Tompkins.

Some highlights from this week: Jimmy going for seconds and getting caught; Lindsay "smelling" money and being confused as to why she suddenly wants to suck Jimmy's dick; Becca and Vernon's schemes; Shitstain being hilarious as usual; Replacement Honeynutz

I've enjoyed all the episodes thus far but this one felt like the best and seems to be kicking the final season properly into gear. Going to be very sad when this show is done but am going to enjoy watching it reach that destination. Have absolutely no idea where it could go and that's great.

Ant Farm Keyboard

The final scene was a flash forward and a glimpse of the future. The big question is how they will get there.