Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 04:21:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

You're the Worst Season 4

Started by phantom_power, September 21, 2017, 01:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moribunderast

I hope I'm not the only one keeping up with this show. The final season has been terrific thus far, providing some huge laughs while also totally gripping me with the storyline. I'm more interested to see how this show ends than I am for most dramas. My only complaint is that with the focus so squarely on Jimmy and Gretchen it feels like Edgar and Lindsay are getting short shrift (Edgar's plot with Paul F. Tompkins has vanished for the time being) and there hasn't been enough of the side characters. Every scene with Becca and Vernon has made me laugh and their subplot with Paul is horrific and hilarious and I'd love to see more of it.

So, yes, please, hopefully somebody else here is enjoying the season like I am? Though it seems fitting such an underrated gem is going off into the night with zero fanfare.

Small Man Big Horse

I'm really enjoying it too, I'm a couple of episodes behind as I watch it with Mrs SMBH and she's been working a lot recently but hope to catch up over the weekend as it's one of my favourite series.

phantom_power

Yes, I am still really enjoying this. Just finished the Bad Boy Jimmy episode so I am a couple behind

13 schoolyards

Definitely still on board and enjoying it. When the first couple of episodes were lightweight stuff (but very funny), I started to wonder if they were going to follow the season 2 pattern and bring in the darker stuff for the back half. Looks like that's a yes.

It'll be interesting to see how much they can fit in with the supporting cast, as there's only six episodes left and one has Gretchen dealing with her family (and presumably the final one wraps everything up... possibly at Lindsay's wedding?)

phantom_power

Just seen episode 7 and it was fantastic. Hilarious, touching, sad. A combination of all the things this show can do. Really looking forward to the rest of the season

Moribunderast

My concerns about not enough time for the support characters were allayed this week: an entire episode dedicated to Vernon, Becca and Paul! Maybe not quite as funny as their previous episodes as it actually focused a bit more on their emotional arcs and somewhat resolving their stories but I still enjoyed it immensely, because their emotional arcs are still quite ridiculous.

Now just hoping Edgar gets a similar episode and then we're clear to drive the main story home. Happy to see the season runs for 13 episodes as well, so still 5 to go. I'll miss this show when it's gone.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Another very satisfying episode. The balance of comedy and drama has been much more assured than last season, and it was a good idea to leave these characters on the side and to focus on them during one particular episode. I also loved that they didn't try to write it as the sequel to "The Seventh Layer" (Vernon and Paul in the woods).

If the first piece on the piano, the one played by the president of the club, reminds you of something, it's "Sicilienne" by Gabriel Fauré. It was also Chuck's signature piece of music in Better Call Saul, and its melody was actually ripped off by a fake surf band from the eighties to open a surf rock compilation one the guys was putting together. They renamed the tune "Cecilia Ann", Black Francis heard the compilation and fell in love with the song, which The Pixies covered as the opening track from Bossa Nova.

mjwilson

Are you all torrenting this or is it on some UK channel somewhere?

veletision

Sorry to say that I think this final season has been very bad.

phantom_power

I am sure that finale wasn't to everyone's tastes but I fucking loved it. I was really worried they were going to go for a dark ending so am glad they didn't and that montage that filled in the gap between the two time periods had me virtually in tears. Great choice of song as well. I am sure some will see it as too soppy but, despicable as they are, I have grown to love these characters so it was good to see them have some version of happiness, and most of it seemed earned rather than just shoe-horned in at the end

13 schoolyards

Yeah, I thought it was a great ending. It was interesting that after all the grim foreshadowing the Edgar-Jimmy relationship breakup turned out to be as dark as it got (and even that wasn't all that dark). It was on the lighter side of what the show was, without pushing it into sappy territory.

I really appreciated the way the show always stayed committed to being a romantic comedy (accent on the comedy) about flawed characters rather than a show about whether messed up people deserved love (which, from what I've read after the finale, is what some people though the show should have been), so an ending that basically said "they muddle on" felt pretty appropriate.

phantom_power

I liked the time jump and dawning realisation about what was going on as well

olliebean

There was a montage towards the that was all a bit too "Everything's going to be fine because everyone ends up having kids" for me.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: olliebean on April 07, 2019, 09:24:24 PM
There was a montage towards the that was all a bit too "Everything's going to be fine because everyone ends up having kids" for me.

Only just got round to watching the second half of the season, the ex-Mrs SMBH went off the show and after we split up it was a bit too painful to finish off for a long old while as it had always been a show we watched together. But I loved the finale in general and don't quite agree with the above, especially as one of the final shots of Gretchen was her in torment and came with the message that even though she had happy moments her depression was still a part of her life.

13 schoolyards

I think having their final ever conversation (well, the last one that we saw in the final episode) involve Gretchen saying that she could wake up and decide to kill herself at any point and Jimmy (and their kid) would just have to deal with her death was downbeat enough to balance out whatever good vibes that montage had.