Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 02:35:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Isle Of Dogs

Started by SteveDave, September 21, 2017, 04:35:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveDave

The trailer has arrived for Wes Anderson's new stop motion animation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt__kig8PVU

Looks alright.

Wasn't there some hoo-hah when Fantastic Mr Fox was released that he did shit all with the animators? Just left them to it? Or was that all rubbish?

Pseudopath

<tag> I prefer cats myself. </tag>

DukeDeMondo

I'll be seeing this, certainly. Fantastic Mr Fox is my favourite Wes Anderson film by some distance. I only watched a wee bit of that trailer but I liked what I saw. Good stuff.

shh

I like the look of it, but not so keen on the way the trailer seems to go 2/3 of the way through the plot of the film.

I thought from the title that the long lost Ben Jonson play had been discovered...

zomgmouse

Resurrecting a tweet I made when this was announced:

"What's Wes Anderson's new film called?"
"Isle of Dogs"
"So do I, but what's Wes Anderson's new film called?"

Small Man Big Horse

This is now out in the UK and I enjoyed it a lot. It's not quite as good as The Grand Budapest Hotel, but it is beautiful to look out and the design work in general is pretty astonishing. It's not quite as funny as I thought it'd be (from the trailer and various reviews) but it's got shed loads of charm and if you love dogs then you'll undoubtedly want to see it. 7.6/10

Z

I'll be going to this but I'm not pushed. The lack of actual actors with faces acting and being alive and stuff hugely cripples my opinion of the Fantastic Mr Fox, it's probably the one of his I'm least interested to revisit.

Bazooka

Quote from: Z on March 30, 2018, 06:09:22 PM
I'll be going to this but I'm not pushed. The lack of actual actors with faces acting and being alive and stuff hugely cripples my opinion of the Fantastic Mr Fox, it's probably the one of his I'm least interested to revisit.

I concur, although if does get released here I will. go.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Z on March 30, 2018, 06:09:22 PM

Whilst I liked the film I wasn't particularly fond of the look of Fantastic Mr Fox, and this is very very different, and whilst it's largely stop motion there are other types of animation on display as well. Plus it features dogs, who are 108 times better than foxes.

ieXush2i

Fun film, kids dug it and there's tonnes of design detail to get lost in, but I still felt uncomfortable about all the cultural appropriation going on. The thing that (personally) rankled most was the Japanese characters and place names all being cutesy references for Westerners, like Watanaba, Kobayashi, Suzuki, Atari etc

greenman

Quote from: (Ex poster) on March 31, 2018, 09:49:45 PM
Fun film, kids dug it and there's tonnes of design detail to get lost in, but I still felt uncomfortable about all the cultural appropriation going on. The thing that (personally) rankled most was the Japanese characters and place names all being cutesy references for Westerners, like Watanaba, Kobayashi, Suzuki, Atari etc

Honestly beyond any politics the trailers turned me off by this kind of outdated cutesy exoticism, then again I think Wes Anderson has been on diminishing returns generally since Rushmore, maybe with Grand Budapest as a bit of a blip.

Bazooka

Despite seeing all of Anderson's films I have any just become aware of Hotel Chevalier https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkqIVdMt_bs Jason Schwartzmen   is always on point, but he wrote/co-wrote this I understand?

popcorn

It's confusing how "Isle of Dogs" is pronounced exactly the same way as "I love dogs". I was momentarily confused by this even when I listened to the latest Buxton podcast, where Anderson explains the idea formed after he saw a sign reading, I thought, "I love dogs". I mean, it still makes sense, "I love dogs", that gave him the idea for a film about dogs, I suppose.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Bazooka on April 01, 2018, 05:22:02 AM
Despite seeing all of Anderson's films I have any just become aware of Hotel Chevalier https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkqIVdMt_bs Jason Schwartzmen   is always on point, but he wrote/co-wrote this I understand?

He wrote the bit where Natalie Portman gets her nips out.

(But according to wikipedia it was all Anderson, so I wouldn't take that as gospel).

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: greenman on April 01, 2018, 04:30:07 AM
Honestly beyond any politics the trailers turned me off by this kind of outdated cutesy exoticism, then again I think Wes Anderson has been on diminishing returns generally since Rushmore, maybe with Grand Budapest as a bit of a blip.

I loved Rushmore at the time but haven't ever been fully taken with anything Anderson has done since. Not sure if he's changed and I haven't or vice versa, but one thing is for sure, it is his fault and not mine.

hamfist

Quote from: popcorn on April 01, 2018, 08:44:13 AM
It's confusing how "Isle of Dogs" is pronounced exactly the same way as "I love dogs". I was momentarily confused by this even when I listened to the latest Buxton podcast, where Anderson explains the idea formed after he saw a sign reading, I thought, "I love dogs". I mean, it still makes sense, "I love dogs", that gave him the idea for a film about dogs, I suppose.

I once scam baited a nigerian with my north korean gay holiday resort Isle of Cox, comprised of two island - Isle of Big Cox and Isle of Little Cox.

Anyway - would Isle of Dogs be suitable to watch with a 7 year old ? Hard to judge from the trailer...

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: hamfist on April 01, 2018, 09:57:01 PM
I once scam baited a nigerian with my north korean gay holiday resort Isle of Cox, comprised of two island - Isle of Big Cox and Isle of Little Cox.

Anyway - would Isle of Dogs be suitable to watch with a 7 year old ? Hard to judge from the trailer...

I'm not sure, I'd say it depends on how smart the kid is I guess. There were a few kids in the screening I was at who mostly kept quiet and seemed to be enjoying it, but I noticed some were getting a bit restless towards the end. Violence wise there's nothing shocking at least, and during the sex scene the cum shot is internal so you don't see it flying off all over the place.

hamfist

Is the sex interspecies or purely dog to dog ?

alan nagsworth

this seems obvious to me, but seeing as people are questioning the title and no one has specifically mentioned this yet, i feel like i should:

popcorn

Don't think anyone was confused about that.

greenman

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on April 01, 2018, 07:57:47 PM
I loved Rushmore at the time but haven't ever been fully taken with anything Anderson has done since. Not sure if he's changed and I haven't or vice versa, but one thing is for sure, it is his fault and not mine.

Yeah its probably been 10 years since I'v seen Rushmoore so perhaps its falling out of love with the style(or perhaps other oddball dramedys being more interesting) but I remember thinking Murray's characters harshness kept a lid on the tweeness that's increasing been given free reign ever since.

Bronzy

Quote from: (Ex poster) on March 31, 2018, 09:49:45 PM

"Emiliy Yoshida of the Vulture interviewed several native Japanese speakers on their perception and found the response to be "mixed to positive" with one of the interviewed finding it to "be a respectful portrayal of Japanese culture" while another thought it would do well in Japan because "it's based on Japanese fables and a Japanese point of view, and Japanese problems. And [they] love dogs.""

Wet Blanket

I'm a little bit uneasy about the whole white western woke (for want of a better term) audiences feeling troubled by this film on behalf of Japan, a rich, industrialised first-world country, particularly over a film so lovingly enamoured by Japanese culture (and co-devised by Kunichi Nomura). It strikes me, at the very least, as patronising. I doubt there would have been the same controversy if it had been set in a stylised but highly reverential version of London or Paris.

I thought the film itself was pretty good. I love stop-motion animation. Unlike a couple of posters above I think Anderson is better suited to manipulating puppets than people; the hyper-stylisation is much less distracting.

It's quite a dark, wordy and narratively intricate film, skewing even more towards adult audiences than Fantastic Mr Fox, and I quite like how he's been able to get away with that in a mainstream animated release.

Enrico Palazzo

The last Isle of Dogs movie only came out in 2011. Too soon for a remake.

Bleeding Kansas

Is that man a Photoshop of a different head, torso and legs?

Also that tag line is odd. A little bit too dusty bin.

ieXush2i

Quote from: Bronzy on April 02, 2018, 09:45:07 PM
"Emiliy Yoshida of the Vulture interviewed several native Japanese speakers on their perception and found the response to be "mixed to positive" with one of the interviewed finding it to "be a respectful portrayal of Japanese culture" while another thought it would do well in Japan because "it's based on Japanese fables and a Japanese point of view, and Japanese problems. And [they] love dogs.""

I also read this, what's yer point?

Bronzy

Quote from: (Ex poster) on April 03, 2018, 05:28:07 PM
I also read this, what's yer point?

I would make a long post about this, but Wet Blanket summed it up perfectly for me:

Quote from: Wet Blanket on April 03, 2018, 11:00:29 AM
I'm a little bit uneasy about the whole white western woke (for want of a better term) audiences feeling troubled by this film on behalf of Japan, a rich, industrialised first-world country, particularly over a film so lovingly enamoured by Japanese culture (and co-devised by Kunichi Nomura). It strikes me, at the very least, as patronising. I doubt there would have been the same controversy if it had been set in a stylised but highly reverential version of London or Paris.

Just don't the see the point of getting offended of behalf of other people, tis all. Especially when those people don't even give a shit.

Funcrusher

And it's not like Japan doesn't happily 'appropriate' Western culture.