Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:27:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Isle Of Dogs

Started by SteveDave, September 21, 2017, 04:35:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

popcorn

I'm unconvinced about the entire concept of cultural appropriation, but putting that aside:

Japanese people generally don't give a shit about appropriation of their stuff. Asians living in other countries do, though. Look at the furore over the La Japanaise painting when it was displayed with a kimono to try on in the Boston museum. All the Japanese people living in Japan I asked about it didn't see the problem and thought it was a nice way for foreigners to experience Japanese culture. But (some) Asian Americans were furious, which makes sense because they have a completely different experience. The Ghost in the Shell whitewashing controversy is another example.

Source: I live in Japan and am an EXPERT!!

greenman

Quote from: popcorn on April 04, 2018, 07:19:48 AM
I'm unconvinced about the entire concept of cultural appropriation, but putting that aside:

Japanese people generally don't give a shit about appropriation of their stuff. Asians living in other countries do, though. Look at the furore over the La Japanaise painting when it was displayed with a kimono to try on in the Boston museum. All the Japanese people living in Japan I asked about it didn't see the problem and thought it was a nice way for foreigners to experience Japanese culture. But (some) Asian Americans were furious, which makes sense because they have a completely different experience. The Ghost in the Shell whitewashing controversy is another example.

Source: I live in Japan and am an EXPERT!!

Cultural appropriation would be less an issue than the depiction of Japan seeming to be a rather dated cliché akin to a Simpsons travel episode or some 80's film with a crazy photographer/techno obcessed character. Maybe just a product of the distance between the dogs and humans but it also rather gives the feeling of the film reducing the country to a quirky middle class tourist attraction.

shh

Quote from: popcorn on April 04, 2018, 07:19:48 AM
But (some) Asian Americans were furious

In other words, Americans are strange. They've started banning the Mikado too. In fact it reminds me of second generation Irish people in the UK (sorry, Irish British) complaining about Father Ted.

Quote from: greenman on April 04, 2018, 08:08:59 AM
reducing the country to a quirky middle class tourist attraction.

How many films made in Britain could this apply to. Does anyone care? I think these arguments had more force in a film like Darjeeling which was not only a bit naff but which had that Bono/ saving the poor foreigners vibe.

Maybe it's just seeing it on the big screen, but one of my favourite aspects of this film is trying to pay attention to the different panels he uses on the screen at the same time. Somehow reminds me of the way he played with aspect ratios in Grand Budapest.

ieXush2i

Cultural appropriation isn't an inherently positive or negative concept, and everyone does it. Yes, all over the world.

The Mikado is the ur-example. Nankie-Poo, jeez

Twit 2

I don't live in Japan or anything, but I have taught a lot of Japanese people and read a fair amount on Japanese art, poetry, music and aesthetics and I thought it was all a) spot on and b) very respectful. It was utterly gorgeous to look, easily his best looking film. I'd probably put it at number 2 after Royal Tennenbaums.

Sin Agog

Quote from: (Ex poster) on April 04, 2018, 05:43:44 PM
The Mikado is the ur-example. Nankie-Poo, jeez

If that were made today, there'd definitely be an uproar over Three Little Lolis From School Are We.

Head Gardener

saw this today with a dog loving lad and we both LOVED it

asids

Quote from: shh on April 04, 2018, 01:01:02 PM
In other words, Americans are strange. They've started banning the Mikado too.

Seriously? They're cracking biscuits, they won't know what they're missing. It's like when they banned haggis.

zomgmouse

I saw this today and it waa delightful!