Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:09:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Predator (1987)

Started by checkoutgirl, September 22, 2017, 10:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bazooka

Quote from: colacentral on September 29, 2017, 05:41:28 PM
Predator, along with Aliens and the Terminator films, is also partly horror. The action horror seems to be a subgenre that doesn't exist anymore.

Great point.

mothman

Replies From View

Quote from: mothman on September 29, 2017, 07:05:32 PM
^ Transformers?

Nah, that's more in the category of action-shite.

mothman

But all these horrible robots pretending to be cars and household objects! That's pretty horrifying.

greenman

Quote from: colacentral on September 29, 2017, 05:41:28 PM
Predator, along with Aliens and the Terminator films, is also partly horror. The action horror seems to be a subgenre that doesn't exist anymore.

Probably due to the shift towards making every major blockbuster avoid an R rating.

popcorn

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on September 29, 2017, 03:55:40 PM
One thing I wonder about the film is how it would seem without the opening shot of the spaceship. If there was no indication that it was sci-fi until the Predator is revealed for the first time, much like From Dusk 'Til Dawn.

I thought exactly the same thing last time I watched it. I think it would have improved the film, adding a slow-drip mystery element.

Replies From View

Quote from: mothman on September 30, 2017, 01:45:41 AM
But all these horrible robots pretending to be cars and household objects! That's pretty horrifying.

Not if they are dishwasher safe.

mothman

There's an untapped well of horror to be found in the everyday. For instance, that nice Hackett jumper I picked up reduced in John Lewis? Hand-wash only! Can you imagine?!

Quote from: popcorn on September 30, 2017, 03:32:47 AM
I thought exactly the same thing last time I watched it. I think it would have improved the film, adding a slow-drip mystery element.

Yep, I am another one who as often though that the spaceship scene at the beginning's removal would have enhanced the film and added a whole wtf to 1st time viewers.

Has anyone bothered to watch or comment on the film I mentioned and provided a link to in the third or fourth reply.

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: Hello! Replies Hidden on September 30, 2017, 07:44:52 PM
Has anyone bothered to watch or comment on the film I mentioned and provided a link to in the third or fourth reply.

I haven't watched it any time recently but I've seen it dozens of times. Cracking stuff.

"I come in peace."

"And you go in pieces!"

mothman

I nearly - nearly! - saw Dark Angel in the cinema. Saw something else instead. Can't remember what, tip of my tongue... I was unemployed and living in a squat in London in '90, I recall going to the cinema a hell of a lot.

colacentral

Quote from: Hello! Replies Hidden on September 30, 2017, 07:44:52 PM

Thanks for drawing my attention back to the first page, where Shit Good Nose confessed he liked Predator 2 better. Staggering.

Rocket Surgery

I'm not reading 7 pages to see if this has already been posted, but every Predator fan should see it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlicWUDf5MM

(preferably while bollocksed)

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: colacentral on October 01, 2017, 02:19:31 AM
Thanks for drawing my attention back to the first page, where Shit Good Nose confessed he liked Predator 2 better. Staggering.

Yeah, but that is very much like me saying I prefer Sorcerer over The Wages of Fear - I still think Wages is a masterpiece, just as I still think Predator is a stone cold classic.  2 just happened to tick every single box for me at the particular time I saw it, and the fondness has stayed with me ever since.

But, if I sit down to watch one, I typically watch both back-to-back.

Replies From View

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on October 02, 2017, 12:41:30 PM
But, if I sit down to watch one, I typically watch both back-to-back.

Who with?  And don't you find it stops one of you from properly seeing the screen?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Replies From View on October 02, 2017, 12:49:11 PM
Who with?  And don't you find it stops one of you from properly seeing the screen?

Mirrors, mate.

monkfromhavana

Brilliant film, the sequel is not as good, but still very enjoyable.

Endlessly quotable

"goddamn sexual tyrannosaurus"