Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:58:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

#NobelPrizesSoWhite

Started by slapasoldier, September 24, 2017, 07:38:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slap...

...a soldier
1 (12.5%)
...slapasoldier
5 (62.5%)
...a-my thigh, slap-a-my thigh
1 (12.5%)
...your wrist, making belming noises, getting thrown out of Scope
3 (37.5%)
Like a gay Milverton. The fruity one. The one with a fringe.
4 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 8

slapasoldier

So, no black person has ever been awarded a Nobel Prize in science and only one has ever won it for economics. Only 1.5% of recipients for the Nobels are black, but 15% of the world's population is.

Where are the hashtag campaigns and leftist boycotts of the Nobel Prizes because of racism? Surely it's extremely racist to say that blacks deserve more song and dance awards but just tacitly accept that their lack of achievement in the sciences and literature is okay?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_black_Nobel_laureates

AllisonSays

I think that in criticising the structural racism that creates the conditions that mean that people of colour and people from the global south are less likely to succeed in the fields that the Nobel Prize recognises, the left is doing whatever it is that you think they're not doing.

I also think that you're being a snidey, disingenuous cunt and that this is a crushingly insipid attempt to provoke an argument about the divergent life chances of black and brown people to white people, an argument in which you will subtly propose that those life chances are related to some kind of biological imperative rather than to a set of complex social and historical imperatives.

Maybe I'm wrong, and you have a much hotter take than that to offer, so come on man, hit me with it, I'm eager to hear all about it.

There was an interesting article in Jacobin a few years ago that made an interesting and substantive argument about the relationship between the Nobel Prize in literature and liberalism, suggesting that "its doxa entails a purportedly non-ideological faith in the intellectual's distinction from the social and the political". Maybe we could talk about that instead!

newbridge

In case anyone is considering posting in this thread, slapasoldier is a racist troll and should be ignored.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I think it's because when the awards started, being a black person already made it incredibly hard even to be in professions connected on any level whatsoever.

It isn't a low number because the awards are racist, it's low because the world outside from which the awards are derived was racist/still is.

brat-sampson

Really makes you think, if you don't know the first thing about history, Nobel Prizes, sociology, politics or race issues.

Butchers Blind

I'm a white and have never won a Nobel prize.  I can use a bunsen burner and once broke up a fight in my local pub.  It's shameful.

Johnny Yesno

Paul Calf

Quote from: Butchers Blind on September 24, 2017, 09:27:03 PM
I'm a white and have never won a Nobel prize.  I can use a bunsen burner and once broke up a fight in my local pub.  It's shameful.

Dude. White and never won a Nobel? I've got half a dozen, although I did chuck one of the trophies to make space in anticipation of winning Wimblewrong last year.

Do you even Nobel, bro?

Mr Eggs

Quote from: Butchers Blind on September 24, 2017, 09:27:03 PM

I once set fire to a fume cupboard by spilling toluene onto a naked bunsen flame and then.... I BLEW THE FIRE OUT WITH THE WIND IN MY ENGLISH LUNGS.

And the teacher (ETHNIC) told me I was a dick.

Butchers Blind

Quote from: Paul Calf on September 24, 2017, 09:30:21 PM

Do you even Nobel, bro?

I did send them a picture of myself reading a book.

Buelligan

I branded my chemistry teacher on the upper arm with super-heated test tube tongs.    No prizes for guessing whether it was a mistake.

Howj Begg

Mr Eggs

If Alfred Noblet wer black. All us whites ud be ded now.

Dr Rock

Funcrusher

Poor old Milv, he's a shadow of his former self since the election result. This is really weak stuff.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Funcrusher on September 24, 2017, 10:28:53 PM
Poor old Milv, he's a shadow of his former self since the election result. This is really weak stuff.

It's quite pleasing to see Mystic's still around after all that 'gold standard' nonsense. It's CaB's very own fable about the perils of hubris.

Bhazor

An incomplete selection

Vekatraman Ramakrishnan receiving Nobel prize for chemistry in 2009

https://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/chemistry/laureates/2009/

Isamu Akasaki, Hiroshi Amano, and Shuji Nakamura receiving Nobel prize for physics in 2014

https://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/2014/

https://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/2015/

https://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/chemistry/laureates/2010/

Ahmed Zewail winning the Nobel prize for chemistry in 1999

https://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/chemistry/laureates/1999/

As for why there aren't more African Americans well maybe that's to do with college in America costing hundreds of thousands of dollars. Maybe even the fact they've only been allowed to attend college in any meaningful for the last 30 years or so. Meaning the very first generation of black students have only just now hit their sixties.

If you really wanted to talk about how shit a people is I say you'd be better asking why tiny little Finland with a population of 5million has won 53 Nobel prizes whilst the UK with a population 12 times larger has only won 84. England seems a bit shit there mate. Third world country mate. Thick as pig shit the lot of them.