Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:52:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Film cliches you want to fuck off

Started by popcorn, September 25, 2017, 01:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

St_Eddie

Quote from: mothman on March 22, 2019, 10:19:57 PM
One could say that these two most recently discussed clichés were nicely combined in When Harry Met Sally's "I'll have what she's having" scene.

I love the the bit which immediately follows, where the naked man walks into the diner and says "ba dum tss".  Highly memorable scene that.

momatt

Quote from: Mr Banlon on March 21, 2019, 11:12:09 PM
Disturbed by the commotion, a tramp in an alley emerges from a dirty carboard pile with a shocked expression and holding a bottle/kitten.
Quote from: gilbertharding on March 22, 2019, 06:48:13 PM
Looks at what's causing the commotion, then looks at the bottle, then throws the bottle over his shoulder.

I love this cliche and would genuinely like to see it more.

lipsink

Person is standing there in silence, has accepted his fate and is waiting to be shot.

Shouts: "Just hurry up and do..." (BANG!)

Blumf

Quote from: lipsink on March 26, 2019, 11:02:29 AM
Person is standing there in silence, has accepted his fate and is waiting to be shot.

Shouts: "Just hurry up and do..." (BANG!)

But then it turns out it was the bad guy who was shot. Good guy looks to see unexpected person shakily holding a gun.

Gulftastic

'But I'm only your step-sister...'

Actually, I kind of like that one.

popcorn

Quote from: gilbertharding on March 22, 2019, 06:48:13 PM
Looks at what's causing the commotion, then looks at the bottle, then throws the bottle over his shoulder.

When was the last time this was used in a film with sincerity rather than a campy joke?

momatt

Quote from: popcorn on March 27, 2019, 05:51:28 AM
When was the last time this was used in a film with sincerity rather than a campy joke?
Was it ever?

Chollis

Quote from: momatt on March 27, 2019, 10:10:13 AM
Was it ever?

Not sure it was ever "sincere", usually in comedies. Aristocats or 101 Dalmations (original)was the first time I saw it, I think.

edit: Aristocats: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NoMoreForMe

paruses

Probably in here -

Clearing a desk in one fell swoop to make out (US) / snog (UK) on with the reveal that it's not their desk. Saw it the other day on something and it's signalled a mile away.

momatt

Quote from: Chollis on March 27, 2019, 01:24:45 PM
Not sure it was ever "sincere", usually in comedies. Aristocats or 101 Dalmations (original)was the first time I saw it, I think.

Thanks, great link.
I probably first saw it in a Superman film.

I love this real-life example:
"Some of the spectacular visual effects from Inception were created in Real Life, rather than relying in CGI. Before filming started one day, a bum walked onto the blocked-off street being used as a set, and asked one of the producers if there was really a freight train in the middle of the street. When the producer answered in the affirmative, the bum decided that maybe he was drinking too much."

popcorn

Quote from: Chollis on March 27, 2019, 01:24:45 PM

Let me rephrase. Is it ever used now without it obviously being a sort of piss-take "this is hackneyed shit and that's why it's funny" kind of thing? I can't think of having seen it in anything since the Fast Show did it, even.

momatt

Quote from: popcorn on March 27, 2019, 02:27:29 PM
Let me rephrase. Is it ever used now without it obviously being a sort of piss-take "this is hackneyed shit and that's why it's funny" kind of thing? I can't think of having seen it in anything since the Fast Show did it, even.

Difficult to tell really.  If the joke is pretty much the same in both situations, you'd need to put it into the context of the time.
I read one example of it happening in an WC Fields film, but for all I know it could have been old and ironic even then.

gib

From the examples listed in that tvtropes link, reading this one made me laugh:

QuotePlayed with in an episode of Hi-de-Hi! where Mr Partridge is having a picnic when he sees a horse ridden by a pantomime horse, does a double-take and looks between his flask and a banana a few times before he throws the banana away and carries on drinking.

Gregory Torso

This one is exclusive to the 1980s I think, but any film where a man, maybe a business man, is wearing khaki suit "pants", there's a scene where either his female boss or his secretary rams her foot into his dick under the table in a fancy restaurant and he spits out his water. If you were a junior office clerk in khaki slacks, in the 1980s, your cock was getting collected. Proper foot-in-crotch "this is how we do things in new york" you want that promotion don't you tossed perm and raised eyebrow reverse harrassment action. Thankfully in 1987 everyone started wearing hard jeans and women's feet couldn't make a dent in that stone-washed belted denim.

St_Eddie

This one is exclusive to the 1980s I think, but anytime MC Hammer dons a pair of parachute pants, does a crab dance and loudly proclaims that you 'Can't Touch This'.

I hated said scene in Die Hard.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 31, 2019, 03:47:37 AM
This one is exclusive to the 1980s I think, but anytime MC Hammer dons a pair of parachute pants, does a crab dance and loudly proclaims that you 'Can't Touch This'.

I hated said scene in Die Hard.

Oh yeah, me too. It works really well in Platoon, though.

neveragain

Protagonist angrily recounts everything that's just happened to a grumpy background character. Secondary character is suddenly sympathetic.

Character suddenly sees approaching menacing character/creature, and stands there with mouth open and eyes wide, for an unfeasibly long period of time, rather than just momentarily freezing with shock, before fleeing.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on March 31, 2019, 07:16:09 PM
Character suddenly sees approaching menacing character/creature, and stands there with mouth open and eyes wide, for an unfeasibly long period of time, rather than just momentarily freezing with shock, before fleeing.

That's a genuine psychological response to something terrifying and dangerous though.  I speak from experience.  The mind is screaming 'run. Go. Run now' but your body is frozen to the spot.  You fear that if you move, you're going to provoke an attack.

McChesney Duntz

daf

Have we had this one? *  :

"Oh, hello . . . what are YOU doing here?"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Soon to be murdered character encounters someone (that's hidden from us) ransacking the room for 'papers' / rounding a corner :

STBM character (cheerfully) :"Oh, hello . . . what are YOU doing here?"

Murderer (keeping silent - as this would reveal the identity to the viewers) : ". . ."

STBM character's face (seen from murderer's P.O.V) changes to horror and starts backing away : "No! No! Please, I . . ."

cue :
- stabbing with a masonic knife
- shooting with antique blunderbuss
- decapitation with improbably elaborate Heath Robinson piano wire contraption triggered by victim stepping backwards on to a loose floorboard
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* (To be honest, I've only noticed this one cropping up with amusing regularity in Midsomer Murders, but I'm sure it must get wheeled out in 'proper' films too)

samadriel

lipsink

Person who begs for their life to a ruthless killer who is clearly going to fucking kill them anyway:

"Listen, you don't have to do this.

"Look, I've got money. I can pay you double!"

"I've got kids!"

I'd like to see a scene where the ruthless killer backs down immediately and then the person is like: "Really? That easy? Huh?"

Also, scene where a person is holding their friend who is injured. The friend will usually die just as the ambulance arrives. Special points if the person is talking to them telling them everything is okay and looks up to see the ambulance lights. Looks back down and the friend's eyes are closed. (Saw this in The Dirt last night)

St_Eddie

Quote from: lipsink on April 02, 2019, 04:23:49 PM
Person who begs for their life to a ruthless killer who is clearly going to fucking kill them anyway:

"Listen, you don't have to do this.

"Look, I've got money. I can pay you double!"

"I've got kids!"

I'd like to see a scene where the ruthless killer backs down immediately and then the person is like: "Really? That easy? Huh?"

Miller's Crossing has a scene very much like the one you're looking for.  When Tom (Gabriel Byrne) leads Bernie (John Turturro) into the woods to execute him, Bernie sobbingly pleads with Tom, with great desperation, to "look in his heart" and spare him, so Tom let's him live.  Later on in the film, Bernie finds himself, once more, at Tom's mercy and again asks him to "look in his heart", only this time in a very cocksure 'pfft! He's a pushover' way.  Tom coldly responds "what heart?" and shoots Bernie.

lipsink

A group of people in a room will slowly start bickering and arguing. The arguing will build in intensity, with the editing getting quicker and quicker until the person we haven't seen for a bit and who we least expect to shouts "SHUTUP!" and everyone goes quiet and stops to look at them and sees sense.

Ferris

Character solving the riddle/murder/su doku, but not telling any other fucker in the room the solution. Usually it'll be a "come one, we've no time to lose!" and they rush off to a new location.

Just tell everyone, then we're not stuck in the dark like a load of lemons while we drive to your second location and wait for you to spell it out to us. What if the murderer/riddler/su doku person gets to you before you tell us? Then we're back to square one.

Dr Syntax Head

Mainly in trailers. That descending in pitch sub bass sound that stops abruptly to silence and then BLAM! EXPLOSION and the name of the film. You know what I mean. It's lazy as all fuckery.

olliebean

The soles of any character's bare feet, front of shot, magnified by perspective at the end of their foreshortened legs. Stop doing this!

Dr Sanchez

I hate how computers make beeping sounds in films. Typing a password? Loads of beeps. Entering it incorrectly? Bad beep. Entering it correctly?  good beep. Downloading a classified dossier? Loads of futuristic beeps and sometimes  a dial up tone.

It's like they're typing on a fucking fisher price toy.

Dr Sanchez

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 31, 2019, 07:32:33 PM
That's a genuine psychological response to something terrifying and dangerous though.  I speak from experience.  The mind is screaming 'run. Go. Run now' but your body is frozen to the spot.  You fear that if you move, you're going to provoke an attack.

Yeah I've experienced that too. Fight or flight is a bitch.