Author Topic: Film cliches you want to fuck off  (Read 64294 times)

St_Eddie

• *The Patron Saint of Scallywags*
  • Silver Member
Re: Film cliches you want to fuck off
« Reply #1140 on: April 11, 2019, 12:43:02 AM »
I hate how computers make beeping sounds in films. Typing a password? Loads of beeps. Entering it incorrectly? Bad beep. Entering it correctly?  good beep. Downloading a classified dossier? Loads of futuristic beeps and sometimes  a dial up tone.

It's like they're typing on a fucking fisher price toy.

Are you trying to silence our computer brethren?  You'd like them to shut up, wouldn't you just?  Don't be so computerist!

« Reply #1141 on: April 11, 2019, 04:36:39 AM »
Are you trying to silence our computer brethren?  You'd like them to shut up, wouldn't you just?  Don't be so computerist!

Yes, fuck them. Computers should be seen and not heard. I'm definitely not in the PC brigade.

momatt

• PAPERCLIPS!
    • instagram.com/m0matt
« Reply #1142 on: April 11, 2019, 11:27:45 AM »
I hate how computers make beeping sounds in films. Typing a password? Loads of beeps. Entering it incorrectly? Bad beep. Entering it correctly?  good beep. Downloading a classified dossier? Loads of futuristic beeps and sometimes  a dial up tone.

It's because the computers are swearing at being bashed about.

Dex Sawash

• Silver Member
  • Upph√§ngningspunkterna
« Reply #1143 on: April 11, 2019, 12:53:45 PM »
Showing people bothering the carpet with their toes

Clownbaby

• I get it crackin like a bad back
« Reply #1144 on: April 14, 2019, 11:10:46 AM »
Woman cheerily making eggs, maybe dancing as well, wearing her guy's shirt the morning after she stayed over. The flipside is of course the guy in a tight pink frilly dressing gown. But the woman in big shirt one bugs me more because she's obviously meant to look cute

I've always found this a bit irritating. It's the most overused visual device to make it clear that they had sex without showing the actual sex. It annoyed me when Elaine was wearing Jerry's shirt AND his shoes in that one episode of Seinfeld, I hope they were taking the piss with that.

Dr Syntax Head

• Empty alcohol
« Reply #1145 on: April 14, 2019, 12:29:41 PM »
Woman cheerily making eggs, maybe dancing as well, wearing her guy's shirt the morning after she stayed over. The flipside is of course the guy in a tight pink frilly dressing gown. But the woman in big shirt one bugs me more because she's obviously meant to look cute

I've always found this a bit irritating. It's the most overused visual device to make it clear that they had sex without showing the actual sex. It annoyed me when Elaine was wearing Jerry's shirt AND his shoes in that one episode of Seinfeld, I hope they were taking the piss with that.

This never occurred to me until I read this. Dead on. It is really irritating. Also cut to man with perfect torso laying back in bed with his arms behind his head and a smug grin on his face. There is only a pristine white sheet on the bed. No duvet. Always white. No stains.

Phoenix Lazarus

• Why bother writing stuff below your avatar?
« Reply #1146 on: April 14, 2019, 01:34:15 PM »

It's like they're typing on a fucking fisher price toy.

I thought that was a bit of a 70s thing, when computer were big mainframes, not PCs.

Jerzy Bondov

• get sum!!
    • Wrongfully Adapted
« Reply #1147 on: April 14, 2019, 01:52:04 PM »
Are there any films where a couple finishes nobbing and you see the woman go and piss out a load of cum to avoid a UTI?

Phoenix Lazarus

« Reply #1148 on: April 14, 2019, 02:21:25 PM »
Someone about to receive tragic news going about their business in a really cheerful way, and talking to the bearer of the sad news in a cheerful way. when they first arrive, before they realise they have bad news, then realising something is wrong from how sombre the messenger looks.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 04:47:47 PM by Phoenix Lazarus »

BlodwynPig

• Throwing two dogs at a goblin
« Reply #1149 on: April 14, 2019, 04:07:18 PM »
I thought that was a bit of a 70s thing, when computer were big mainframes, not PCs.

Nope, still happens. Arpeggio beeps for something happening.

« Reply #1150 on: April 14, 2019, 04:36:51 PM »
In a romcom, when the female lead unexpectedly see the guy she fancies when she's looking silly. She'll have a mudmask on or be in pyjamas or be wearing a bunny costume.

Action films that open with someone being chased by other people with guns till eventually it's revealed...it's just a practice or even better
a 3D computer simulation!

« Reply #1151 on: April 14, 2019, 05:40:12 PM »

Makes me think of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIXdWK0pHmg

Phoenix Lazarus

« Reply #1152 on: April 14, 2019, 07:02:16 PM »
deleted.

icehaven

• I will be in the bar, with my head on the bar
« Reply #1153 on: April 15, 2019, 09:40:59 AM »
Action films that open with someone being chased by other people with guns till eventually it's revealed...it's just a practice or even better
a 3D computer simulation!

And whatever move or technique they keep failing in the practice/simulation will end up being one they have to do sucessfully to save the day for real later in the film, when of course they do it perfectly.

« Reply #1154 on: April 15, 2019, 09:45:08 AM »
I don't know if this is a cliche or just making the best use of a location, but everytime there's an overhead railbridge there's always something like a DLR train riding across it at that specific moment, and if there's an airport there's always a "wow" shot of a low-flying aircraft coming in or out.

It was "wow" the first few times, I guess. It'd actually be impressive to have those locations and not do those things now.

« Reply #1155 on: April 15, 2019, 10:49:59 AM »
And whatever move or technique they keep failing in the practice/simulation will end up being one they have to do sucessfully to save the day for real later in the film, when of course they do it perfectly.

True. Extra points if the person chasing the hero at the beginning turns out to be a villain later on and actually chases them for real at the end.

Wasn't there a cliche of a man on a date impressing a woman by getting up and playing the piano? Probably hasn't been done for a while.

St_Eddie

• *The Patron Saint of Scallywags*
  • Silver Member
« Reply #1156 on: April 15, 2019, 01:30:17 PM »
Wasn't there a cliche of a man on a date impressing a woman by getting up and playing the piano? Probably hasn't been done for a while.

Not the best example, given the plot of the film and how he learns to play the piano but Groundhog Day did this.  I feel as though I've seen this trope a heck of a lot more than just that one time, though I'll be darned if I can think of another example off the top of my head.

Either way, it's a bullshit clich√©.  My date was not impressed when I got up and played chopsticks on the bar's piano, nor was the management.  No second date and a lifetime ban.  The movies lied to us, man!

« Reply #1157 on: April 15, 2019, 01:37:56 PM »
Not the best example, given the plot of the film and how he learns to play the piano but Groundhog Day did this.  I feel as though I've seen this trope a heck of a lot more than just that one time, though I'll be darned if I can think of another example off the top of my head.

I remember Spiderman 3 does it. Fast Show parodies it too with Colin Hunt. Not sure where else but sure I've seen it loads!

« Reply #1158 on: April 15, 2019, 02:51:36 PM »

Wasn't that the entire plot of La La Land?

gilbertharding

• Not even the rudest man in the Beatles
« Reply #1159 on: April 15, 2019, 03:44:31 PM »
I don't know if this is a cliche or just making the best use of a location, but everytime there's an overhead railbridge there's always something like a DLR train riding across it at that specific moment, and if there's an airport there's always a "wow" shot of a low-flying aircraft coming in or out.

It was "wow" the first few times, I guess. It'd actually be impressive to have those locations and not do those things now.

It's in exactly the same bracket as bicycles which ALWAYS go 'ding ding' as they trundle past, even if there's nothing and no-one in their path. And cats which always say 'mew' as they pass through shots.

gilbertharding

• Not even the rudest man in the Beatles
« Reply #1160 on: April 15, 2019, 03:47:07 PM »
This never occurred to me until I read this. Dead on. It is really irritating. Also cut to man with perfect torso laying back in bed with his arms behind his head and a smug grin on his face. There is only a pristine white sheet on the bed. No duvet. Always white. No stains.

If the lady is there with him, the sheet will reach all the way up to nearly her collarbone but maybe she will move a bit and it will slide down oh no, it's later that morning and they are at work.