Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:29:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Film cliches you want to fuck off

Started by popcorn, September 25, 2017, 01:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothman

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on April 21, 2019, 05:06:34 PM
The cliché of the everyday person caught up in extraordinary goings-on/with extraordinary people, and either being comically shocked, or responding in an amusingly understated way.

That's the one. But it's the unlikely nature of the dialogue that sealed it for me. "Goddamn street racers?" Who even says "Goddamn" anymore?

Icehaven

Quote from: mothman on April 21, 2019, 04:57:33 PM
Saw a bit of the first Fast & Furious film last night, and at one point some random bloke (a Pizza Hut delivery driver) affected by all the shenanigans mutters "Goddamn street racers" which feels like cliched behaviour to me, but exactly what cliche I'm not sure.

There's a subversion of that too where someone bemoans something unusual as if it's a really common problem. Like at the end of The Lost Boys when the Grandad says something like "That's the only problem with this town, too many damn vampires!" There's other examples too but I can't think of any right now.

Edit:
Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on April 21, 2019, 05:06:34 PM
The cliché of the everyday person caught up in extraordinary goings-on/with extraordinary people, and either being comically shocked, or responding in an amusingly understated way.

Yeah similar to that.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: Dr Sanchez on April 11, 2019, 12:04:11 AM
I hate how computers make beeping sounds in films.

South Park took the piss out of this. "WORKING!"

Quote from: mothman on April 21, 2019, 05:09:47 PM
That's the one. But it's the unlikely nature of the dialogue that sealed it for me. "Goddamn street racers?" Who even says "Goddamn" anymore?

See also: "GO TA HELL!"

magval

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on April 21, 2019, 04:26:36 PM
I don't know if anyone has mentioned him already, but that drunk cunt who witnesses something improbable, then stares at the bottle.

I know what YOU were watching this afternoon ;-)

Blumf

Quote from: mothman on April 21, 2019, 05:09:47 PM
Who even says "Goddamn" anymore?

The last time I recall hearing it was on that Sophie Ellis Bextor record where she threatens arson.

Spiteface

samadriel

Haha, is that Frank Miller again, or is someone taking the piss?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on April 21, 2019, 04:26:36 PM
I don't know if anyone has mentioned him already, but that drunk cunt who witnesses something improbable, then stares at the bottle.

I think it's generally agreed that this is a cliche so ancient and familiar, it eventually became a knowing joke at the expense of the cliche itself. I'm struggling to think of any genuine examples of it.

Even that silly James Bond scene is a comment on the well-worn gag.

rasta-spouse

QuoteI don't know if anyone has mentioned him already, but that drunk cunt who witnesses something improbable, then stares at the bottle.

This happens in Nolan's first Batman reboot, when the Batcar drives past a hobo holding a 40oz in a brown paper bag.

Nolan isn't known for his sense of humour, I recall that all the (few or even single) comic bits in Memento or Inception fall flat on their faces, but I'm guessing/hoping he's deploying it as an inside joke.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

If they wanted to subvert the trope somewhat, they should just have him witness the thing, look at the bottle, shrug, then take a big chug from it.

rasta-spouse

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on April 22, 2019, 10:22:38 AM
If they wanted to subvert the trope somewhat, they should just have him witness the thing, look at the bottle, shrug, then take a big chug from it.

I actually think that's what happens in Nolan's Batman, but I didn't recognise it as subversion. I guess if he removed the brown paper bag and it turned out to be some pan pipes instead of a bottle, which he then blew a minor arpeggio on, it'd be the kind of on the nose thing I understand.

mothman

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on April 22, 2019, 10:22:38 AM

I'm sure I've seen that done, many times; it's probably a cliche in its own right.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: mothman on April 22, 2019, 12:44:34 PM
I'm sure I've seen that done, many times; it's probably a cliche in its own right.

Yeah I'm sure I've seen it, the guy is holding two objects, a bottle and something else... maybe he's eating a sandwich.  He looks back and forth at the two items, throws the sandwich and takes another chug from the bottle.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I've just discovered that the 'bewildered alcoholic hobo' trope was discussed in some detail on page 38 of this thread. We've become a cliche of a cliche of a cliche.

magval

Quote from: samadriel on April 22, 2019, 06:18:00 AM
Haha, is that Frank Miller again, or is someone taking the piss?

Yes. It's from the genuinely excellent All Star Batman And Robin The Boy Wonder. It's hilarious throughout.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 22, 2019, 02:22:47 PM
I've just discovered that the 'bewildered alcoholic hobo' trope was discussed in some detail on page 38 of this thread. We've become a cliche of a cliche of a cliche.

Yeah, sorry about that. I sort of skimmed a few pages then presumed nobody had mentioned it. Mea culpa.

*looks at bottle, chucks it in bin*

If you see a close-up of a "How's My Driving?" sticker on the back of a vehicle, it's about to smash into something/skid around recklessly.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 10, 2019, 01:07:37 PM

SPOILERS BELOW

Especially the car journeys that involve a pedestrian or animal suddenly getting mowed down. I watched The Invitation (2016), Get Out (2017) and Ghost Stories (2018) consecutively with my parents over a weekend recently and the animal roadkill jumpscare happened in all three. I consider the demon in Ghost Stories an animal.

ANOTHER SPOILER

The animal roadkill jumpscare cliche appeared in A Cure For Wellness (2018) that I watched the other night.

Blumf

Quote from: thecuriousorange on April 22, 2019, 08:58:19 PM
If you see a close-up of a "How's My Driving?" sticker on the back of a vehicle, it's about to smash into something/skid around recklessly.

Captain Z

I expect this has been mentioned before, but 'hacking' always involves the immediate, frantic typing of a stream of text into a command prompt window. They never have to open a different bit of software or save the thing they were currently working on or plug in the hard drive where they saved that list of commonly-used passwords.

lipsink

Guy goes into a gun shop and tries all the guns, whilst doing loads of the cool as fuck aiming/fast loading clicking noises etc.
The gunshop owner says: "So which one will it be?"
"I'll take it ALL".

Another one is when a shop owner hears their door open and says without looking up: "We're closed"
The person who's walked in is either someone from their past or there to kill them.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 22, 2019, 02:22:47 PM

The third instalment of my Hobo film franchise "Hobo: Lost in the Andes" features this trope throughout, including the pan-pipes in a brown paper bag gag.

Mr Banlon

Quote from: lipsink on April 22, 2019, 11:05:04 PM
Guy goes into a gun shop and tries all the guns, whilst doing loads of the cool as fuck aiming/fast loading clicking noises etc.
The gunshop owner says: "So which one will it be?"
"I'll take it ALL".

Another one is when a shop owner hears their door open and says without looking up: "We're closed"
The person who's walked in is either someone from their past or there to kill them.
And the customer trying out guns in the shop, then pointing the gun at the owner and robbing the place trope.
Subverted a bit in this Jackie Mason movie at the 1:03:40 mark : https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5tbsqh
Worth watching the whole movie if you like Mason and/or downbeat, bad 70s movies.

Dr Sanchez

Eggs seemingly being the only food available to American housewives / girlfriends when the guy comes home.

"hey honey, are you hungry? I can do you some eggs"

Every time.

BlodwynPig

The egg industry are the biggest lobbyists in the USA, fact.

Clownbaby

Quote from: Dr Sanchez on April 23, 2019, 12:15:58 AM
Eggs seemingly being the only food available to American housewives / girlfriends when the guy comes home.

"hey honey, are you hungry? I can do you some eggs"

Every time.

Fuckin egg fiends aye.

gilbertharding

Just been re-reading about the literary James Bond fetish for scrambled eggs over in the Books Sub-forum - so surprising that this didn't make it into the films.

holyzombiejesus

Have we had unappreciated mom at breakfast yet?

Icehaven

Quote from: lipsink on April 22, 2019, 11:05:04 PM

I know, if you're closed how about LOCKING THE FUCKING DOOR then you buffoon, if you don't want people being all annoying and not magically knowing you're closed despite the FUCKING DOOR BEING OPEN.